Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by Lt. Dish »

shmenguin wrote:God damn everyone is texting while driving right now. It transcends every demographic. And I'm going to lose my mind soon. I really can't stand it.
They don't realize that they can kill themselves or someone else. That pearl of wisdom just can't wait.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

By the way, i was a to;dnr guy my whole life. I would take the points lost on papers because i said what needed to be said and didnt want to put bs filler in. Concise is nice.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

Brevity is the soul of wit
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

Idoit40fans wrote:By the way, i was a to;dnr guy my whole life. I would take the points lost on papers because i said what needed to be said and didnt want to put bs filler in. Concise is nice.
Concise is nice. Very nice! But that's not the issue. There's a difference between cogency and conciseness and brevity and vagueness.

You can be brief and say what you need to say without filler. But there are times when you need to be explicit, specific, and precise with your wording. Some students just don't have time for it.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Hockeynut! wrote:
shmenguin wrote:seems like you're describing high school kids from every generation. i don't remember us 80's/90's kids being wordsmiths of any sort.

i think kids are more connected with each other than ever. and incidentally, less shy than ever. they might struggle more with long-form writing, but i think that's a different topic.
I've seen a major decline in teen conversational skills in last 8 years. It's a dramatic difference.
Ronburgandyidontbelieveyou.gif
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Yeah im having trouble believing that youve talked to a kids half a generation behind you. For example: My brothers friends wouldnt ring the doorbell If my parents were growing up. They'd call him to come answer the door. I see this with the teenagers around me now too.
Last edited by Idoit40fans on Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

shmenguin wrote:
Hockeynut! wrote:
shmenguin wrote:seems like you're describing high school kids from every generation. i don't remember us 80's/90's kids being wordsmiths of any sort.

i think kids are more connected with each other than ever. and incidentally, less shy than ever. they might struggle more with long-form writing, but i think that's a different topic.
I've seen a major decline in teen conversational skills in last 8 years. It's a dramatic difference.
I'm not challenging you, shmenguin; I just don't know: Do you interact with teenagers and young adults on a day-to-day basis?

It's particularly frustrating when you see a kid who exhibits flashes of creativity and insight, and they're just too impatient (I imagine some are lazy) to try to "package" or present their talent into good writing and speaking. What's worse, some kids think they don't need to, because they believe that listeners or readers will figure it out on their own; if they can't, then that's the listeners' and readers' shortcoming, not theirs.

There's an old adage that where you sit is where you stand. I suppose that's the case here.

I don't want to continue to take the thread off course. Back to the main thread topic of pet peeves... I had one to post, and I forgot. It just happened today and it vanished from my mind. I wonder if that counts. I can't stand it when that happens.
Last edited by Lt. Dish on Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

I don't think kids have ever been good at conversation. This is why I don't believe there's an actual noticeable trend.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

What does good at conversation have to do with survival of/participation in social situations?
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

I think the only actual issue with this situation is that families pull out their phones during time that used to be spent interacting. Everything else I'm reading seems like fuddy duddy-isms.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Idoit40fans wrote:What does good at conversation have to do with survival of/participation in social situations?
I feel like this answers itself. ;)
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

shmenguin wrote:
Hockeynut! wrote:

Okay. I don't know anything. I've only worked with about 900 teenagers over the last 8 years.

Edit: I didn't mean for that to sounds as pissy as it does. :lol: What I'm saying is that I've seen a visible shift in the conversation skills of teenagers (again, I work with 17/18 year olds who are, basically, adults, not 13 year olds). Up until probably the last 3 years, my senior clients were happy to carry on a conversation throughout their shoot. I'm not saying we discussed world history or fine art, but there was more than enough small talk to keep a 2 hour shoot from becoming a chore. Occasionally I'd get a quiet/shy one, but they were the exception. Now, I get 1 word answers from the majority. Is it because they're incapable of carrying on a conversation or because they're so addicted to their phones that every second I'm not taking an image, they're snapchating their bff? I'm not saying I know for certain, but there is definitely a difference and I don't think it's for the good.

/getoffmylawn
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

I bet it's you getting older rather than them getting dumber. Perspectives change.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

shmenguin wrote:I bet it's you getting older rather than them getting dumber. Perspectives change.
I didn't say they're getting dumber. I'm sure me getting older could be a small part of it, but even 3 years ago smart phone weren't as prevalent and weren't the distraction/addiction that they are today.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Hockeynut works with teenagers year round, and he seems to have a great rapport with them as they are his cash cow, so it's hard for me to dismiss his observations as "getting older".

I mean... You can either carry a conversation or not. It's hardly subjective
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

I don't want to say they're completely incapable of conversing. I mean, if you took their phone away and put a gun to their head and said, "Let's have a conversation!" they might do fine. ;) But the addiction to their phones has definitely made many of them unwilling, of not incapable, of making small talk. Instead of chatting with me in between set ups, they turn to their phones. And it's not just me. Sometimes they'll bring a friend along on their shoot and instead of talking to each other, BOTH of them are on their phones.

I'm also not saying, "Kids these days... no respect... blah, blah, blah" I think the cell phone addiction has dramatically affected social interactions/basic politeness, amongst many, many adults too.
Last edited by Hockeynut! on Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

So do most researchers.

But then, that guy shmenguin on the internet, there is that. ;)
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

shafnutz05 wrote:Hockeynut works with teenagers year round, and he seems to have a great rapport with them as they are his cash cow, so it's hard for me to dismiss his observations as "getting older".

I mean... You can either carry a conversation or not. It's hardly subjective
It is though. I haven't noticed anything weird with teens in terms of conversation (I knew a lot when I played rugby this last year). I'm sure the greatest generation said the same thing about the baby boomers
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Are you?
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

YES
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

inb4 "its different this time!"
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote: inb4 "its different this time!"
tl:dr
Anyway, what does that have to do with people being addicted to their cell phones?
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

It's great you're using old internet pictures to further your discussion about how the younger generation can't communicate with words very well. Poignant.

Especially since the all the quotes predates radio, all forms of mass group based entertainment, and the entire information age which is the foundation for the discussion.

But yeah, cool .jpg.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

People didn't have cell phones back then? weird...
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

dodint wrote:It's great you're using old internet pictures to further your discussion about how the younger generation can't communicate with words very well. Poignant.

Especially since the all the quotes predates radio, all forms of mass group based entertainment, and the entire information age which is the foundation for the discussion.

But yeah, cool .jpg.

Either you completely missed the point of the quotes or you're being intentionally obtuse