Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by dodint »

When we go visit my Dad he has a box for all of our electronics by the door. :D
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

dodint wrote:When we go visit my Dad he has a box for all of our electronics by the door. :D
:thumb:

I say all of this as a gadget guy too. I had an atari, several nintendos, a computer, etc. growing up. I got "online" when I was a senior. I've had a cell phone for the last 15 years. I'm not a luddite but when I see people who are clearly addicted to their phones, it's a problem. It's not the fault of the phone, it's the way society has reacted to them.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

There is no question the massive increase in texting, Tweeting etc has significantly damaged the social skills of an entire generation of children. I'm already fretting how to strike a balance when my daughter gets older...I think cell-phone free family outings, whether to dinner or wherever, are a good idea.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I get annoyed when my wife goes to bed because she's too tired to watch a TV show we're watching together, then two hours later she's sitting up in bed looking at Facebook on her phone. IPP for sure.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

I cannot **** stand people that talk selfies. Even if they're ironic selfies.

they amount of egoism is alarming

and this includes all the stupid people in that Oscar's selfie, the people that take a selfie with Obama (sorry Big Papi), etc.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

tifosi77 wrote:Oh, it will evolve plenty. It will go from drinkable to 'salad dressing' in about 8 hours. If you are leaving an open bottle of wine in your fridge even overnight it's going to oxidize and be no good the next day. It will be more astringent on the palate and will have an almost metallic after taste.
Hence the reason why I would like it in smaller bottles. I'd much rather deal with smaller bottles with shorter shelf-lives than pour out half a bottle of wine because I can't or don't want to drink it all at one. Would you buy six-packs of beer that force you to open all six bottles at the same time?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Maybe it's cause I'm not a wine snob but I've opened a bottle and enjoyed it for a few days after opening...
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

yubb wrote:Maddog 20/20. A gentleman's beverage.
I am still hung over from a bottle of MD 2020 I drank in 1992
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

People that use "FYI" in their routine speech.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

tifosi77 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:Boxed wine. Discuss its merit as a vessel for fine wine.
Totally fine. So are screw cap bottles.
Boxed wine and stelvin closures are the way of the future for wine IMO. If boxed wine can shake the negative stigma, it would be almost ubiquitous. As tif mentioned, more than 90% of the wine produced is consumed in a very short period (relatively speaking) from when it was picked. The more elegant wines will probably always be sold in regular bottles with regular cork; however, the cost and diminishing supply of Quercus suber (and the time it takes for a tree to be harvested for cork) will make it difficult in the future. Virtually all wine in New Zealand is boxed. And it is much cheaper and lasts muuuuuuch longer than bottles.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

shafnutz05 wrote:There is no question the massive increase in texting, Tweeting etc has significantly damaged the social skills of an entire generation of children. I'm already fretting how to strike a balance when my daughter gets older...I think cell-phone free family outings, whether to dinner or wherever, are a good idea.
i don't buy this. i think kids are much more communicative than they used to be, which breeds better social skills. a kid can text and tweeting when, 20 years ago, they might be sitting at home doing nothing because they don't want to use the land line to call one of their friends.

i don't understand how increased communication is turning kids into awkward recluses
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

shmenguin wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:There is no question the massive increase in texting, Tweeting etc has significantly damaged the social skills of an entire generation of children. I'm already fretting how to strike a balance when my daughter gets older...I think cell-phone free family outings, whether to dinner or wherever, are a good idea.
i don't buy this. i think kids are much more communicative than they used to be, which breeds better social skills. a kid can text and tweeting when, 20 years ago, they might be sitting at home doing nothing because they don't want to use the land line to call one of their friends.

i don't understand how increased communication is turning kids into awkward recluses
They can digitally communicate, but cannot speak to each other or a group.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

shmenguin wrote:i don't understand how increased communication is turning kids into awkward recluses
It's only a single data point, but I'm proof that you can become an awkward recluse without any access to cell phones or computers. I didn't have a cell phone or internet access until I was in college, and I was long gone down the awkward-and-reclusive road before then.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

As expressed earlier, the context was verbal communication and long form written correspondence. Obviously in the aggregate people have more communication options now than twenty years ago. (to shmenguin)
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Hockeynut! wrote: I work with 100+ high school seniors every year though my business and I see this every single time we have a shoot. I'd say at least 7 out of 10 of these kids (who are 17 or 18 and, basically, adults) have a hard time carrying on a conversation. They simply don't have the skills needed to converse with a grown up. But every time we break for 30 seconds while I move a light or change my angle, their nose is stuck to their phone so they can text/tweet/snapchat/etc. with their "friends".

I also see it in email. Before their shoots I'll send then a 4 or 5 paragraph message with advice on what to wear, hair/make up advice, etc. Most of them read a few words and show up completely unprepared. They can't concentrate long enough to read 300 words. Their parents aren't a whole lot better sometimes.
seems like you're describing high school kids from every generation. i don't remember us 80's/90's kids being wordsmiths of any sort.

i think kids are more connected with each other than ever. and incidentally, less shy than ever. they might struggle more with long-form writing, but i think that's a different topic.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

dodint wrote:As expressed earlier, the context was verbal communication and long form written correspondence. Obviously in the aggregate people have more communication options now than twenty years ago. (to shmenguin)
yeah, just noticed that post. made a lot of sense.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

shmenguin wrote:

Not awkward recluses, but texting or tweeting doesn't exactly translate into conversational skills. These kids are sending 300 texts a day but 3/4 of them are "LOL" or emojis. Here's a conversation I had with one of my senior girls this summer. She's a very intelligent girl and wants to go to med school. She was visiting several ivy league school throughout the summer.

Me: So band camp starts next week, huh?
Girl: Yeah.
Me: Are you looking forward to it?
Girl: Yeah
Me: What instrument do you play?
Girl: I don't play an instrument.
Me: Oh, so what do you do in band?
Girl: Dance
Me: Oh, cool. What styles of dance do you do?
Girl: Everything.
Me: Do you have a favorite?
Girl: No.
Me: How long have you danced?
Girl: Ten years.
Me: Are you looking forward to being a senior?
Me: What are some of your classes?
Girl: The usual.
Me: Are you ready to be out of high school?
etc. etc.

She wasn't shy. She loved having her photo taken and referred me to several of her friends to me. But she had almost no conversational skills. That didn't stop her from being on her phone every single second we weren't shooting. And she's not the exception. Most girls aren't that bad, but I'd say easily 70% of them can't carry in a conversation. All they can do is answer questions.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

shmenguin wrote:seems like you're describing high school kids from every generation. i don't remember us 80's/90's kids being wordsmiths of any sort.

i think kids are more connected with each other than ever. and incidentally, less shy than ever. they might struggle more with long-form writing, but i think that's a different topic.
I've seen a major decline in teen conversational skills in last 8 years. It's a dramatic difference.
Last edited by Hockeynut! on Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Hockeynut! wrote: Me: So band camp starts next week, huh?
Me: Are you looking forward to it?
Girl: Yeah
Me: What instrument do you play?
Girl: I don't play an instrument.
Me: Oh, so what do you do in band?
Girl: Dance
Me: Oh, cool. What styles of dance do you do?
Girl: Everything.
Me: Do you have a favorite?
Girl: No.
Me: How long have you danced?
Girl: Ten years.
Me: Are you looking forward to being a senior?
Me: What are some of your classes?
Girl: The usual.
Me: Are you ready to be out of high school?
I think this is a transcript from evidence in Sarcastic's trial...
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

The real revelation here is that Hockeynut! hates high schoolers and secretly resents himself for having to cater to them to earn a living.

How do you sleep at night, man?
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

PensFanInDC wrote: I think this is a transcript from evidence in Sarcastic's trial...
:shock:
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

on 50 acres
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

dodint wrote:The real revelation here is that Hockeynut! hates high schoolers and secretly resents himself for having to cater to them to earn a living.

How do you sleep at night, man?
LOL y u h8?

I actually like the vast majority of the kids I get to work with. I'm disappointed when they are so quiet that it's hard to chat with them.

I did have one ridiculously cocky guy this summer that I hated working with. He brought his Benz and was the stereotypical spoiled rich kid. Such a cocky little SOB. ;) On the other hand, I had a guy bring his brand new Camaro and he was awesome. Very outgoing, fun and excited about his shoot.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

shmenguin wrote:

I buy that it's damaging reading and writing skills. If it's not a blog post, then it's tl;dr. A 10-point essay answer? About 3 tweet-lengths ought to do it.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

I don't know if there's an objective issue with that though. It's a shift. Shift happens...heh