Oilers fire Eakins

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Oilers fire Eakins

Post by llipgh2 »

mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Oilers fire Eakins

Post by mikey287 »

And MacTavish back in command. Rinse and repeat.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Alberta is a big place, so those stretch passes could go on for hundreds of kilometers.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Because the coach was the problem. Commence dynasty.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Idoit40fans wrote:Because the coach was the problem. Commence dynasty.
The problem? No.

A problem? Yes.
BleuLineLady
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by BleuLineLady »

If I were them, I would be looking into calling Shero at season's end. Looks like the Oilers may win the McDavid sweepstakes, if they do, I think Shero could help and give better guidance as a GM.

We know he's made some mistakes in Pittsburgh, but I'd still rate him as a very good GM.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

Is McTavish that loved in Edm to hold onto him. They really need to move him and bring in a real GM. He won't pull the strings on any trade to improve his team. I said it before, he is expecting to main tain status quo and things will correct themselves.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

They need to pick two, maybe three, players to keep and trade away the rest (good hockey trades, not a fire sale). That team has deep problems and it needs to hit the reset button.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Jim wrote:They need to pick two, maybe three, players to keep and trade away the rest (good hockey trades, not a fire sale). That team has deep problems and it needs to hit the reset button.
I'm not sure a GM is going to give them a good hockey trade. Why make one if you are an opposing GM when the inevitable fire sale is only a few short weeks away?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

no name wrote:Is McTavish that loved in Edm to hold onto him. They really need to move him and bring in a real GM. He won't pull the strings on any trade to improve his team. I said it before, he is expecting to main tain status quo and things will correct themselves.
MacTavish has already been fired once there. Within the last five years.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

As a coach, though.

Not saying he's doing any better as a GM, but it's a necessary distinction, IMO.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

In most cases, yes. In the case of the Edmonton Oilers, I disagree. It's a culture thing. It's toxic now, and it has been. They all need to go or I can't imagine this gets any better...
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Post by Tim Thomasen »

BleuLineLady wrote:If I were them, I would be looking into calling Shero at season's end. Looks like the Oilers may win the McDavid sweepstakes, if they do, I think Shero could help and give better guidance as a GM.

We know he's made some mistakes in Pittsburgh, but I'd still rate him as a very good GM.
He made a lot of mistakes while he was here. The poor drafting, the lack of depth on quality forwards because of his defensemen fetish, the bad FA signings, trades that made no sense at all and keep Disco on as HC even when it was clear he lost the team.

There's a very good reason why he was fired and it was dissected on here to death. If i'm the Oilers and I was looking for a GM to skake things up I wouldn't look to Shero to do that. Yes he did a lot of good, but as we all know sports is a what have you done for me lately business and 2009 was a long time ago.

The same goes with Disco.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

I thought for the past couple seasons that if Bylsma got fired, Oilers would be the perfect place for run and gun offense. Still would like to see it.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

It's interesting how the new breed/young guns coaches (Eakins and Boucher) have gone down in flames....and they didn't even coach in Calgary.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Boucher is actually intelligent though. The best thing Eakins has done in his career is catch Teemu Selanne's glove...
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

For the sake of his family, I see Bylsma staying in the US and waiting for a gig in a place like Denver to open.

just speculation based on him showing his family side during those 24/7 shows.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Penspal »

Not FHCDB, but a former Pen in Todd Nelson. I blurted out "he's a former Pen", then subsequently won a bet with his One game played. How did I remember that? Proof that useless Pens trivia (and age) do have some benefits.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

I have always kind of liked Edmonton, kept waiting for them to be really good with all those players
BleuLineLady
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by BleuLineLady »

Tim Thomasen wrote:
BleuLineLady wrote:If I were them, I would be looking into calling Shero at season's end. Looks like the Oilers may win the McDavid sweepstakes, if they do, I think Shero could help and give better guidance as a GM.

He made a lot of mistakes while he was here. The poor drafting, the lack of depth on quality forwards because of his defensemen fetish, the bad FA signings, trades that made no sense at all and keep Disco on as HC even when it was clear he lost the team.

There's a very good reason why he was fired and it was dissected on here to death. If i'm the Oilers and I was looking for a GM to skake things up I wouldn't look to Shero to do that. Yes he did a lot of good, but as we all know sports is a what have you done for me lately business and 2009 was a long time ago.

I dont disagree with much of what you said (he deserved to be fired), but I think Shero is a significant upgrade compared to what they have had there. Shero has his flaws like anybody but he's got the experience of winning that could really help a team like Edmonton right now. Name me a GM who is available right now who would be a better candidate than Shero. Its a very short list.

I dont think Bylsma would do well in Edmonton though...for one reason...this team needs fundamentals and structure...Bylsma's coaching style I dont think would help with that. They're young and free wheeling, terrible on defense. They need Michel Therrien to walk in their dressing room and call them soff and just rip them apart before building them back up. Maybe a Therrien (structure, discipline type coach) with Bylsma as an assistant would be a good combo for Edmonton's team right now.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

there are some that work out i guess, but i don't understand the logical progression from player to executive.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

BleuLineLady wrote:
Tim Thomasen wrote:

I dont disagree with much of what you said (he deserved to be fired), but I think Shero is a significant upgrade compared to what they have had there. Shero has his flaws like anybody but he's got the experience of winning that could really help a team like Edmonton right now. Name me a GM who is available right now who would be a better candidate than Shero. Its a very short list.

I dont think Bylsma would do well in Edmonton though...for one reason...this team needs fundamentals and structure...Bylsma's coaching style I dont think would help with that. They're young and free wheeling, terrible on defense. They need Michel Therrien to walk in their dressing room and call them soff and just rip them apart before building them back up. Maybe a Therrien (structure, discipline type coach) with Bylsma as an assistant would be a good combo for Edmonton's team right now.
There is no other guy I would want in charge of making trades than Shero, I do agree with what was wrong with Shero but give credit where credit was due. He was able to add pieces for a minimal price and not only that but the right pieces. But it was time fro him to go.