Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by dodint »

Hey, anytime I can kick a Dadist in the balls on the internet I'm more than happy to do so. What a bunch of dickbags.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I love art...love visiting art museums. There has been some art in the past that has been intended to be shocking to contemporary audiences, of course.

I dunno...stuff like a crucifix soaking in urine...not art. When I went to the Guggenheim 10 yrs ago, it was a large tapestry of dead insects mashed together, and it reeked to high heaven. That's not art. I'm sorry, it isn't.

I feel like that kind of "art" is like Lena Dunham "art". LOOK AT ME, I'M CONTROVERSIAL, ERGO, I AM EDGY AND ARTFUL. EMBRACE MY ARTISTIC SIDE. LET ME CHALLENGE YOUR MORES.

Dumb.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

I'm not a big fan of photos personally, but there are a few photos that I really love (the Smith and Carlos Olympics black salute, for example).

I don't share the same love of visual art in general as dodint, though I can quantitively say that The Scream by Munch is my favorite piece of artwork ever. I literally cannot explain why I love it, I just know that I do.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Agree.

Also, the Dunham backlash is coming, and I'm going to devour it gleefully. I think she overstepped too much by accusing someone of rape in print and getting the details so wrong it was pretty easy to prove it was fabricated.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

shafnutz05 wrote: I dunno...stuff like a crucifix soaking in urine...not art. When I went to the Guggenheim 10 yrs ago, it was a large tapestry of dead insects mashed together, and it reeked to high heaven. That's not art. I'm sorry, it isn't.
When I was in Junior Honor Society we took a trip to NYC and the Guggenheim specifically and I was never more bored than then. And I love museums. But my god the Guggenheim is unbearable. Calling the works there art is an affront to my intelligence.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I like that I went from art hater to an appreciator of visual art in 1/4 of a page. :P

My interest in art is an extension of my pursuit of history, as history was my actual major (my thesis was on Slavery in New England prior to 1700). It's a reflection of the society that created it (within context). The biggest patron of the arts was the Catholic Church for many centuries, which is great because it lifted the craft, but it meant that we only got paintings of stuff the Catholics wanted. I think that's why I prefer Dutch artists because they were kind of doing their own thing with commissioned portraits that weren't just profiles or busts, but subjects in context. Again, back to reality.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Thanks for the discussion.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

I enjoy history a lot too, but chose to study physics because History Channel's The Universe series was the last thing I watched before applying to college. Also, I'm an idiot.

I wanted to be an astrophysicist =(
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I wanted to be a lawyer and knew my undergrad didn't really matter so much, so I pursued what I thought would be fun. And it was. Then I fell into IT and did an IT Masters. Now that I'm looking at doctorates I'm trying to decide between a professional doctorate (non-PhD) or to go to law school. The circle of life, or something.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Mango Salsa »

Dodint you got me curious about the work of Goya. Dude has a dark side, eh? I had to double check that I didnt accidentally search Frank Frazetta lol
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I always read "love like a sister" as "friend zoned me".
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

dodint wrote:To me real art evokes some kind of response from people.
I would suggest that any artist who is serious about their work would probably agree with this 100%. Love it, hate it - great. Go 'meh', and they'll be enraged.

Being dismissive is the most hurtful thing you can be to an artist's work. To the point that people saying Pollack or Shaf's pee cross isn't art is probably all the vindication those artists need.
Idoit40fans wrote:I always read "love like a sister" as "friend zoned me".
Not necessarily. My first roommate was a girl I had known since 4th grade, there was never anything funky about it.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

I don't have a problem with calling performance art, the urine stuff, and others like it "art" - it's just that they're usually of the intellectual/sophistication level of a middle- or high schooler. Room for them too, but don't even think they're similar to other forms that take real talent to create.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

"Talent" is a very subjective term which makes the discussion of whether art is art kind of silly. If something can evoke strong emotions such as "that ain't art" then it's art in my mind.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Factorial wrote:"Talent" is a very subjective term which makes the discussion of whether art is art kind of silly. If something can evoke strong emotions such as "that ain't art" then it's art in my mind.
No, I'm not saying Talent factors into whether or not something is art. I think 'art' is pretty easy to identify. Just don't tell me that putting a straw into a broken vase and saying it symbolizes hope - which is fine - is on the same level as painting a landscape.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Idoit40fans wrote:I always read "love like a sister" as "friend zoned me".
Haha nah. Don't get me wrong I think she's really cute, but I think it'd be really weird to date a roommate. That's like moving in with a girl BEFORE you start dating.

Factorial wrote:"Talent" is a very subjective term which makes the discussion of whether art is art kind of silly. If something can evoke strong emotions such as "that ain't art" then it's art in my mind.
I just think that's missing the point.

Visual art, before anything else, is supposed to be appealing to the eye, not controversial, in my opinion. It should be about aesthetics, not statements.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Impressionist paintings, which are always the favorite of stodgy grandmothers these days, were widely panned in the 1870s:
Monet, Renoir, Degas, and Sisley had met through classes. Berthe Morisot was a friend of both Degas and Manet (she would marry Édouard Manet’s brother Eugène by the end of 1874). She had been accepted to the Salon, but her work had become more experimental since then. Degas invited Berthe to join their risky effort. The first exhibition did not repay them monetarily but it drew the critics who decided their art was abominable. It wasn’t finished. They called it “just impressions.” (And not in a complimentary way.)

The Lack of "Finish"
Remember that the look of a J.A.D. Ingres or even a surly Delacroix had a “finished” surface. These younger artists’ completed works looked like sketches. And not even detailed sketches but the fast, preliminary “impressions” that artists would dash off to preserve an idea of what to paint later. Normally, an artist’s “impressions” were not meant to be sold, but were meant to be aids for the memory—to take these ideas back to the studio for the masterpiece on canvas. The critics thought it was insane to sell paintings that looked like slap-dash impressions and consider these paintings works “finished.”
http://smarthistory.khanacademy.org/imp ... rance.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Mango Salsa wrote:Dodint you got me curious about the work of Goya. Dude has a dark side, eh? I had to double check that I didnt accidentally search Frank Frazetta lol
As I alluded to his Black Paintings were not intended for exhibition, he created them on a wall in his home and they weren't found until 50 years after he left. I don't believe him to be known as particularly dark beyond that. The Dog just really moves me everytime I see it, so I bought it for my wife for our first anniversary and it hangs in our living room.
Spoiler:
I wish I could convey what it means to me, but then again maybe I don't, maybe some things don't require commentary. It's certainly a tactic I haven't tried yet. ;)
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

Art discussions
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Restaurants that don't have toothpicks.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:I'm not a big fan of photos personally, but there are a few photos that I really love (the Smith and Carlos Olympics black salute, for example).

I don't share the same love of visual art in general as dodint, though I can quantitively say that The Scream by Munch is my favorite piece of artwork ever. I literally cannot explain why I love it, I just know that I do.
Spoiler:

dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Horsehead costume people. It's over, stop it.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

If you're single, and you live with a good looking, cool lady...I don't see how it's acceptable to just let that sit.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Mango Salsa »

On the subject of art, I was listening to the Lady Gaga interview on Howard Stern and she mentioned her artist friend who swallows paint then regurgitates it onto a canvas. Ummm, no, not art IMO.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

dodint wrote:Horsehead costume people. It's over, stop it.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

shmenguin wrote:If you're single, and you live with a good looking, cool lady...I don't see how it's acceptable to just let that sit.

Do you mean him not wanting to get married?