GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by MRandall25 »

In terms of cider, Mckenzies Black Cherry is really good.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Loaf31 wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Helltown Mischievous is a Brown Ale that's pretty solid.
This is my favorite brown ale
I tried this at one of the beerfests last year and wasn't overly thrilled with it... then again, I'm not huge on brown ales as a whole.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

MRandall25 wrote:In terms of cider, Mckenzies Black Cherry is really good.
That was tasty, iirc... but it didn't really feel like a cider to me.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Went to the Valley Forge Beer Festival tonight (think greater Philadelphia area). Really could not have been more impressed. It was held in a big expo center, and often times I've found that these things are overcrowded with long lines, etc. There was plenty of space, short lines (if any), and right around 75 craft brewers on hand. Really worth a trip across the state if you guys are ever thinking about it.

One of my favorite beers from tonight was Founders Dark Penance, an American Black Ale I hadn't tried before. Solid. Limbo IPA was also great (Long Trail). Attended the festivities with count2infinity
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Terrapin wake and bake is really good, nice coffee taste, but I couldn't imagine spending $77 for a case.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

the wicked child wrote:
shmenguin wrote:Cider. Suggestions?
The best bet would be to find a nice local brewery - but I have no idea if there are any out your way.

If you want to buy something from the store, you need to go Angry Orchard, IMO. They are gluten free, I believe which should be a bonus for you. The variety pack comes with regular, cinnamon, ginger and green apple... all very drinkable, but the cinnamon is my personal favorite.

There are some other brands like Woodchuck, Ace, McKenzie's... the offerings I've tried from them ranged from good to meh depending on the style. I'd rank all of the AOs I've tried above those though.

Given the opportunity, I would drink one of Arsenal Cider House's offerings over any of the aforementioned any day, but that is a local place that does Growlers... not very helpful to you. :pop:
I didn't know ciders were such a local product. Had one from Frecon Farms yesterday...which is near Philly I think. It was interesting. Not much apple flavor and a lot of woodiness. Like wine I guess. Pretty good.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

shmenguin wrote:
the wicked child wrote:
shmenguin wrote:Cider. Suggestions?
The best bet would be to find a nice local brewery - but I have no idea if there are any out your way.

If you want to buy something from the store, you need to go Angry Orchard, IMO. They are gluten free, I believe which should be a bonus for you. The variety pack comes with regular, cinnamon, ginger and green apple... all very drinkable, but the cinnamon is my personal favorite.

There are some other brands like Woodchuck, Ace, McKenzie's... the offerings I've tried from them ranged from good to meh depending on the style. I'd rank all of the AOs I've tried above those though.

Given the opportunity, I would drink one of Arsenal Cider House's offerings over any of the aforementioned any day, but that is a local place that does Growlers... not very helpful to you. :pop:
I didn't know ciders were such a local product. Had one from Frecon Farms yesterday...which is near Philly I think. It was interesting. Not much apple flavor and a lot of woodiness. Like wine I guess. Pretty good.

[youtube][/youtube]
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

shafnutz05 wrote:Went to the Valley Forge Beer Festival tonight (think greater Philadelphia area). Really could not have been more impressed. It was held in a big expo center, and often times I've found that these things are overcrowded with long lines, etc. There was plenty of space, short lines (if any), and right around 75 craft brewers on hand. Really worth a trip across the state if you guys are ever thinking about it.

One of my favorite beers from tonight was Founders Dark Penance, an American Black Ale I hadn't tried before. Solid. Limbo IPA was also great (Long Trail). Attended the festivities with count2infinity
:thumb:

was really nice. I only recall 2 or 3 beers where I tasted them and thought, "yeah...this is disgusting." for the most part all the beers were really good. Some of my favorites on the night:

Conshohocken's Puddlers Row ESB
Ballast Point Scuplin (duh...)
Clown Shoe's Tramp Stamp
Naked Brewing's Freckles Angry Brown Ale
Stoney Creek Homebrewers had a chocolate milk stout that was really good too.

And there was one oatmeal stout that I (unfortunately) don't recall what the brewery was that made it. It was a great time though, certainly would like to go again next year.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Day 6 was Franziskaner Hefeweizen (because that guy was a lazy ass). My thoughts on this have been documented a few times.

Day 7 is Shipyard GingerBreadHead, which tastes pretty much how you would expect it to. Not too overpowering.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Spoiler:
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

its aged in Calvados (apple brandy) barrels. I've never had the Abt 12, but they both sound terrific.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

headed into philly at lunch. in addition to an obscene BCBS haul, i saw a bottle of the rum barrel pumking on the shelf. if anyone's in the area and interested, i can fill you in on where to find it.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Post by OutofFoil »

There's plenty of the rum barrel Pumking at GE Market District in Robinson. $18/bottle though.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

OutofFoil wrote:There's plenty of the rum barrel Pumking at GE Market District in Robinson. $18/bottle though.
I bought 2 bottles at the GE in Bethel Park last week. Still haven't tried it yet though. I thought $18 a bottle was steep.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

$18 is pretty steep for a 21 ouncer, or whatever ST is. at 25oz, it would be a little more reasonable.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

On that note, 750 ML is such a more suitable amount of beverage once you go past a 12 oz/375 ML size. The tweener amount provided by bombers annoys me.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Kraftster wrote:On that note, 750 ML is such a more suitable amount of beverage once you go past a 12 oz/375 ML size. The tweener amount provided by bombers annoys me.
it's super annoying. it has no practical utility.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Post by OutofFoil »

It's tasty, but then again, this was from the 2012 Pumking, which was good and before their decline in quality. $18/bottle good? Still a tough question, but I know I'm not buying more than the two I initially procured.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Shmenguin, I'm interested. I work in Old City.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

The Merry Monks (Day 8) is in-between Golden Monkey and La Fin Du Monde for me. Really strong taste of alcohol that kind of kills the flavor, but there's still enough.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

eddysnake wrote:Image
Reminds me of the "I have amyl nitrates" line in Fight Club.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

MRandall25 wrote:The Merry Monks (Day 8) is in-between Golden Monkey and La Fin Du Monde for me. Really strong taste of alcohol that kind of kills the flavor, but there's still enough.
In my mind, the strong alcohol burn in this beer kind of saves it because it's otherwise rather cloying.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

eddysnake wrote:
Spoiler:
I'm thinking any woman willing to trade him "company" for beer most likely isn't drinking BCBS
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

Awesome deal on Sam Adams 30th Anniversary glasses

http://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/fp/139296" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$10 for 4 glasses

SOLD OUT