The Walking Dead

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: The Walking Dead

Post by shmenguin »

Rick has been salvaged. He's a good if not adequate character.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Planting corn Rick was the low period.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

Ehh I kinda liked it. I binge watched the last 3 episodes at once though so I made it seem like there was more action than there really was.

The most disappointing moment to me was when the female cop prisoner didn't join Rick's group. I don't know if I'm just too used to looking at Carol and Michonne but I found her strangely attractive.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Binge watching might have helped. Ultimately though, I didn't care about Beth, and most of the Hospital stuff was just bad due to not so good acting and largely unlikable characters.

if you flipped things and spent 3 episodes on Beth and 5 on the hunters, I probably would be happier about it.

This show drives me crazy because when it's good, it's damn good. But when it's not... it's really not.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

TWD is a definitely middle tier show for me. It's never been great, can't miss TV. It's a badly written, but still entertaining zombie show. Nothing more, nothing less. Once I stopped expecting to be as great as I thought it could be, I enjoyed it more.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

the wicked child wrote:
This show drives me crazy because when it's good, it's damn good. But when it's not... it's really not.
It's like Chris Kunitz?
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

I just watched it last night. I didn't think it was as bad as many are saying. I do agree though, I think everything got ramped up in the first 3-4 episodes, got everyone pumped, and then they slowed it down for the rest of the season pretty much. I think they need to mix it up a little and blend it better.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

newarenanow wrote:I just watched it last night. I didn't think it was as bad as many are saying. I do agree though, I think everything got ramped up in the first 3-4 episodes, got everyone pumped, and then they slowed it down for the rest of the season pretty much. I think they need to mix it up a little and blend it better.
Agree... its becoming a drama, not a thriller. Bring on the hoard....
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Stoosh »

Hockeynut! wrote:TWD is a definitely middle tier show for me. It's never been great, can't miss TV. It's a badly written, but still entertaining zombie show. Nothing more, nothing less. Once I stopped expecting to be as great as I thought it could be, I enjoyed it more.
This is mostly where I'm at. I enjoy the show for what it is. I'm invested as a viewer because I want to see where they take the story and how it all finally ends when it ends. Whatever characters come and go along the way won't really make a huge difference to me.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

I thought it was great. The death of Beth came as a complete shock to me. By this point, I've unfollowed anyone who has ever spoiled anything on Facebook/Twitter so I was safe there. After several years of season and midseason finales involving huge gun fights and zombie attacks, this was a nice change of pace. There was a lot of tension without needing an action/war climax. And then you had Maggie's reaction and Daryl carrying Beth's body and breaking down. I'm also looking forward to more episodes with Morgan.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

There was a lot of tension...for 5 minutes. The rest of the episode I couldn't even tell you what happened and I just saw it.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Pitt87 wrote:
newarenanow wrote:I just watched it last night. I didn't think it was as bad as many are saying. I do agree though, I think everything got ramped up in the first 3-4 episodes, got everyone pumped, and then they slowed it down for the rest of the season pretty much. I think they need to mix it up a little and blend it better.
Agree... its becoming a drama, not a thriller. Bring on the hoard....
I don't mind it being a mix of both. My issue is that some episodes are pure thriller, others are pure drama. I wish they'd blend the two.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

I was just more disappointed with how much focus they put on Beth, honestly if someone watched the show before and started watching it again you would figure it was an important character that was captured like Darryl or Rick but it was Beth....... and the mid season finale didn't end on a cliffhanger, it was more of.... Washington is lost, Beth is dead. Ok now what?
pens9192
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pens9192 »

The scenes with Dawn in the finale were just a waste of time, IMO. They gave her some additional character building and then she gets killed at the end (deservedly) by Rick. Were we supposed to feel bad for her? I just didn't care about her.

Beth's death will affect Maggie, Daryl, and Carol the most and we will probably have a few episodes exploring their emotions and how they are changed now. Also, someone will complain about being on the run again and tempers will probably flare, Rick has to bring them back together, etc. Hopefully Morgan meets back up with the group, I will be more interested then. I will watch it when it comes back in February, but I'm not counting down the days. Meh.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

pens9192 wrote: Beth's death will affect Maggie, Daryl, and Carol the most and we will probably have a few episodes exploring their emotions and how they are changed now.
I agree with this, along with Carl. I know the actress who played Beth is like 30, but I think she was supposed to be like 18 or around Carl's age.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by JeffDFD »

I think the show loses a little steam when they go "off script" from the comic book. They have some awesome episodes moving the story line along...blend some things nicely...build excitement...and then do a side story away from the comic book that struggles a bit.

This would include:
some of the cheesy parts surrounding Shane and then some stretched out episodes at the CDC (short season though so not too bad, I did like the CDC angle overall)

looking for Sophia for forever

being on the farm for pretty much all of season 2 when not looking for Sophia

Having 2 "governor" story lines where if you take the best from each one you get what the comic actually did

The officer / Dawn story line stuff

and some other smaller stuff

They do SOME of this side stuff well though....they just seem to try to stretch it out too long or do it with only half effort like they are just biding time before getting back to the main story line. I did enjoy the Terminus stuff and thought that was done fairly well...it was blended nicely with the cannibal/hunter stuff from the comics. So they can do it...they just struggle sometimes. I think they probably plan what parts of the comic they want to cover in each season...and then decide how may episodes they can make doing that and have to fill in the rest of the season so we see weakness there.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

If they move too fast, they will very quickly run out of source material. The change in medium requires a slower pace. By the end of this season, there will be over 65 hours of Walking Dead. That's a ton of story. That's why I was a fan of the way the first half of this season was structured. I like the idea of breaking off and doing the story of characters who got separated from the main group as a way to slow time down.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

i understand the need to slow down, but this season, they spent more time on the crappy hospital plot than the interesting terminus plot. THAT'S the problem. we got a ton of footage of dawn being a bad soap opera actress, but all the bat s*** crazy interesting stuff in terminus got just passing glances.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Slight comic spoilers about general plot:
Spoiler:
At this point they are on their way to alexandria and encountered the Hunters and brought Morgan back and Eugene is know as a fraud.

They get recruited to go to alexandria which slows the pace down, speeds back up with the Saviors, escelates to some really cool things as far as what will look good on TV and now it's incredibly boring since that arc ended.

There might be enough stuff to get them through to Alexandria for the 2nd half and then a season or at least a half a season until Negan shows up.

But main point, if you didn't like the poitless plot and slow pace it does show up in the comic book soon.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

shmenguin wrote:i understand the need to slow down, but this season, they spent more time on the crappy hospital plot than the interesting terminus plot. THAT'S the problem. we got a ton of footage of dawn being a bad soap opera actress, but all the bat s*** crazy interesting stuff in terminus got just passing glances.
I'd have been good with a whole episode devoted to back story in Ep 3 explainging to Bob why they are like that and how they got there and at the end the dump Bob back at the church. This plot line with the hospital, nothing comparable in the comics that I can remember. But the Hunters were there for several issues.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

shmenguin wrote:i understand the need to slow down, but this season, they spent more time on the crappy hospital plot than the interesting terminus plot. THAT'S the problem. we got a ton of footage of dawn being a bad soap opera actress, but all the bat s*** crazy interesting stuff in terminus got just passing glances.
Ah. That's fair. My memory isn't always great, have we ever seen another group without having one of "our" characters there? From a storytelling standpoint, does the show ever venture into an omniscient POV?
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

nocera wrote:
Ah. That's fair. My memory isn't always great, have we ever seen another group without having one of "our" characters there? From a storytelling standpoint, does the show ever venture into an omniscient POV?
Tyrese's group showing up at the prison, the Governor's short lived redemption, but that's it.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

Yeah, it seems like information is kept to what the main characters can see/feel. The Governor was around for a little bit before his redemption episodes so I'm not sure that would count as it's still seen through a known character's POV.

The hospital scenes were all shown through Beth's POV.

I'm not saying Terminus couldn't have been done in the same way, just interesting to look at it from a storytelling perspective.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

nocera wrote:Yeah, it seems like information is kept to what the main characters can see/feel. The Governor was around for a little bit before his redemption episodes so I'm not sure that would count as it's still seen through a known character's POV.

The hospital scenes were all shown through Beth's POV.

I'm not saying Terminus couldn't have been done in the same way, just interesting to look at it from a storytelling perspective.
I guess though Gareth wasn't a random unknown, he had enough development where at least one flash back could have been a really good episode.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

gareth could have been familiar enough to give him POV. if he had bob, that could have helped. it's a governor/andrea situation.

i think the terminus setting was interesting - not just the characters inside. they should have let that place marinate a little.