Amateur Hockey Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Amateur Hockey Thread

Post by shoeshine boy »

most of the rinks here in ATL are sand. the newest one is concrete though and that results in much harder, faster ice.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

meow wrote:I treat buying hockey equipment like I treat buying toliet paper. I'll pay more for a high quality product that will last longer. Most of the time, it is more cost effective to do it this way.
and never buy anything that was previously used.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by CERV96 »

Straightened one of my old sticks. Interested in trying it to see how it works. Unfortunately I will be out of town next week and won't be able to try it until I get back from NOLA.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Mango Salsa »

dodint wrote:Not sure if this will link correctly, but my local rink (only rink, 67 miles away) is resurfacing and repainting the last few days and have been putting up pictures of the process. They're using sand as the base layer which I wouldn't have guessed. I assumed the base was just smoothe concrete with ice on top. Kirk S. Nevin Arena used to melt off their ice and do roller hockey in the summer so I assumed that's how it was done. This rink here is basically laying down a sand bed, freezing it, putting three coats of paint on top, and then ice on top of that. Pretty neat, but they're already a week overdue and had to move some adult league games.
I helped with that at the rink I used to play at (Hagerstown MD) its an extremely tedious process. The boards & doors have to be realigned because the ice gets under and heaves them up & out. Then repairs to coolant tubing, level the sand, build up layers of ice, paint white, more ice, lay out the lines, circles, goal creases, stencils for sponsors & huge bulldog at center ice, hand paint everything, then build up more ice one layer at a time.
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by yubb »

I'm not the best skater. Every time I approach a guy with a puck I make an attempt at a poke check and just skate "through" the player. If neither of us moves, we collide. Sometimes people don't expect this. I play in a C league.

So last night I do this, skate "through" the guy, and end up colliding. He falls down and starts MF'ing me for elbowing him. He had his head down. I had my arms in. It was my shoulder pad that hit him, pretty much in his head.

Sorry, not sorry. It happens. There was no penalty called on the play and the DoPS is not reviewing it.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I thought there would be more adult hockey in Wisconsin. Every town has a rink, but only kid leagues. I have a good lead on exactly one adult league about 20mi away. Was hoping for a little more selection as I wade back into this.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Not saying I'm at your mom's house, not saying I'm not.

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

Anyone here play in leagues at neville island? Thinking about doing winter league
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

I play in the A league at Neville. It is...intense.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Are there leagues that accept individual registration?

I sent an email to Warrendale Blade Runners but never got a response.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

meow wrote:I play in the A league at Neville. It is...intense.
Yeah I'm thinking C league lol, it's been 8 years since I've played organized hockey.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by DocEmrick »

Chefpatrick871 wrote:
Yeah I'm thinking C league lol, it's been 8 years since I've played organized hockey.
For the inline leagues, the guys who play C league treat it like it's REAL life hockey. D/E/Z is where you'll find people who show up half in the bag, and falling on their own face.

The one day, we had a C league game and some kid goes "Do you think that scouts would come to Neville?" We all started cracking up.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

DocEmrick wrote:
Chefpatrick871 wrote:
For the inline leagues, the guys who play C league treat it like it's REAL life hockey. D/E/Z is where you'll find people who show up half in the bag, and falling on their own face.

The one day, we had a C league game and some kid goes "Do you think that scouts would come to Neville?" We all started cracking up.
Yea. C is a dangerous level to play. A has ex-pro and ex-college players that are trying to stay in shape and have some fun. C guys were ok in high school 5 years ago and treat every beer league game as game 7 on the finals. E guys are hammered.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Yep, trying to get back into playing and want to go to e league. I havent held a stick and been on skates at the same time in 4 years or so. The puck is just going to bounce off my stick.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

How does one go about finding a team?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I'm currently in the process of emailing the RMU coordinators.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

MRandall25 wrote:I'm currently in the process of emailing the RMU coordinators.
Keep me in the loop on what you learn.
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by yubb »

meow wrote:
DocEmrick wrote:
Chefpatrick871 wrote:

Yea. C is a dangerous level to play. A has ex-pro and ex-college players that are trying to stay in shape and have some fun. C guys were ok in high school 5 years ago and treat every beer league game as game 7 on the finals. E guys are hammered.
I play as hard as I can in my C league. I, however, do not get irate if someone bumps into me.

Beer league hockey is a weird thing. It brings out the worst in some people, kinda like weddings.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

yubb wrote:
Beer league hockey is a weird thing. It brings out the worst in some people, kinda like weddings.

lol! I'm totally stealing that quote! :scared:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

dodint wrote:I thought there would be more adult hockey in Wisconsin. Every town has a rink, but only kid leagues. I have a good lead on exactly one adult league about 20mi away. Was hoping for a little more selection as I wade back into this.
this isn't the case around me because frankly there aren't a ton of rinks in Jersey City, but my god it's annoying how all the fields here are just for kids and not for pick up games and whatnot. There are a few baseball fields that are always locked up unless there's a little league game going on or basketball courts that always have a high school game on them or an indoor soccer field that's just for kid leagues. I didn't realize being an adult would be so depressing sports wise.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I'd be fine if I lived in Madison, but it's 100mi away. They actually have a LBGT adult hockey club, which I've never seen before. I guess I'm bummed because that rink in NC had a really great adult hockey program and I thought I'd have a big selection here, but alas, no.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

shoeshine boy wrote:
yubb wrote:

lol! I'm totally stealing that quote! :scared:
Seconded
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

yubb wrote:I'm not the best skater. Every time I approach a guy with a puck I make an attempt at a poke check and just skate "through" the player. If neither of us moves, we collide. Sometimes people don't expect this. I play in a C league.

So last night I do this, skate "through" the guy, and end up colliding. He falls down and starts MF'ing me for elbowing him. He had his head down. I had my arms in. It was my shoulder pad that hit him, pretty much in his head.

Sorry, not sorry. It happens. There was no penalty called on the play and the DoPS is not reviewing it.
.............wat
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

meow wrote:Yea. C is a dangerous level to play.
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by yubb »

slappybrown wrote:
yubb wrote:I'm not the best skater. Every time I approach a guy with a puck I make an attempt at a poke check and just skate "through" the player. If neither of us moves, we collide. Sometimes people don't expect this. I play in a C league.

.............wat
Do I nee to clarify something?
I was trying to illustrate how upset people get playing hockey during incidental contact. I consider this incidental, not an all-out body check, since I wasn't trying to run into him. I put myself in the best position to take the puck from him and stop him from entering the zone. If neither of us deviate from our course we collide.

In this case, we collided and he get a bit upset about it. We didn't collide face to face, but kind of glanced off of each other. What's more is he accused me of elbowing him, which I most certainly didn't. I wouldn't mind if he called for an interference penalty; that call is arguable. But sucking his thumb and accusing me of elbowing him isn't cool, because that's what dirty players do and I'm not dirty.
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by yubb »

What's more dangerous about C level play is when A and B level guys come down and whip around the rink like they're Stamkos. The rest of the players aren't equipped to handle that speed and it really upsets most people on the ice. That leads to people taking cheap shots on not on the A- and B-leaguers, but on everyone else since it's difficult to cheap shot the A- or B-leaguer since he's too fast. Ironic I suppose.

I feel the difference in the skill ratio when an A- or B-leaguer comes down and plays in a C league is a way bigger problem than the C-league player just playing hard and taking things too seriously.