GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by columbia »

I'm having what might be my first Coors. I'm not sure what my father was thinking....
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

columbia wrote:I'm having what might be my first Coors. I'm not sure what my father was thinking....
My wife's grandfather can't drink anymore (Parkinsons medication), but he used to crack me up. He would expound upon "Natural Light" and how it was such a great beer for the price. This guy isn't stingy by any stretch either.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Shaywer Jiggle finally got more Abt 12 in. Picked up a couple along with a Maudite and a Simon Girty. First time trying the Girty and have no idea what I'm in for.

But no Bernadus Christmas Ale to be found.

Boo. Boo this.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Went to brew gentlemen for the first time. Great place and highly recommend basically everything they have.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by tjand72 »

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum is similar to DFH 90. Smooth.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Tomas »

Once you get over the fact that their beer is sold only in cans, Surly Brewing Company (Minneapolis) makes some really outstanding stuff.

I always knew their Surly Furious (for me one of the best tasting American IPAs), and today I had their Surly Bender - a really tasty brown ale. I think it dethroned my favorite brown ale - Ode to Mercy (Georgia).

An added bonus (at least for me) is that Surly achieves the great taste with lower alcohol content compared to their competitors...
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

tjand72 wrote:Edmund Fitzgerald is a good beer.
Agreed.

K9 Winter Ale isn't bad either. But I've had a few so I'm not sure how bad it actually is.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Tomas wrote:Once you get over the fact that their beer is sold only in cans, Surly Brewing Company (Minneapolis) makes some really outstanding stuff.

I always knew their Surly Furious (for me one of the best tasting American IPAs), and today I had their Surly Bender - a really tasty brown ale. I think it dethroned my favorite brown ale - Ode to Mercy (Georgia).

An added bonus (at least for me) is that Surly achieves the great taste with lower alcohol content compared to their competitors...
Canned beer is great.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Eismann wrote:Shaywer Jiggle finally got more Abt 12 in. Picked up a couple along with a Maudite and a Simon Girty. First time trying the Girty and have no idea what I'm in for.

Boo. Boo this.
The Girty was interesting. Like it was about to be a few different things, then wasn't. Did like.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

canaan wrote:
Tomas wrote:Once you get over the fact that their beer is sold only in cans, Surly Brewing Company (Minneapolis) makes some really outstanding stuff.

Canned beer is great.
More breweries are starting to do cans... Oskar Blues most notably... and it doesn't hurt the beer. So that bias doesn't hold as much sway anymore.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Eismann wrote:
Eismann wrote:Shaywer Jiggle finally got more Abt 12 in. Picked up a couple along with a Maudite and a Simon Girty. First time trying the Girty and have no idea what I'm in for.

Boo. Boo this.
The Girty was interesting. Like it was about to be a few different things, then wasn't. Did like.
Girty is damn good. I've had some bottles that were better than others, but it's a damn interesting beer. At its best, I have wondered if witchcraft was involved.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

This year's Troeg's Nugget Nectar will be sold in cans as well as bottles.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

the wicked child wrote:
Eismann wrote:

Boo. Boo this.
Girty is damn good. I've had some bottles that were better than others, but it's a damn interesting beer. At its best, I have wondered if witchcraft was involved.
Possibly. Had some fruit, some malt, some yeast, some funk, all popping their chins out and different times, seemingly.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Girty is rad. Totally dig it.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

Smuttynose sampler case and a case of Labatt Blue for Thanksgiving. Procured from Beer and Pop 4 Less in Bridgeville which I endorse if buying by the case.

Usually just run to Ohio for 6 packs though.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

the wicked child wrote:
canaan wrote:

Canned beer is great.
More breweries are starting to do cans... Oskar Blues most notably... and it doesn't hurt the beer. So that bias doesn't hold as much sway anymore.
My guess is that most micro beer will be in cans in the next 10 years.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

MRandall25 wrote:
tjand72 wrote:Edmund Fitzgerald is a good beer.
Agreed.

K9 Winter Ale isn't bad either. But I've had a few so I'm not sure how bad it actually is.
Sir Edmund is my go to Porter.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

MWB, best places around Charlotte to get good beer?
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Tomas »

MWB wrote:
the wicked child wrote:
canaan wrote:

Canned beer is great.
This is really interesting. What do you think is the reason behind this trend? I admit it was weird for me to overcome the mental block "only tasteless cheap stuff is in cans", though thanks to Surly products I am now over it. Which is probably a good thing, because I will be moving back to NW Arkansas for the Spring semester soon, and there is apparently a new good microbrewery in town (Core Brewing Co. http://www.corebeer.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) which ideed puts a lot of their stuff in cans.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

DelPen wrote:MWB, best places around Charlotte to get good beer?
If possible, tell delpen where to get BCBS. I'm visiting soon.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Tomas wrote:
MWB wrote:
the wicked child wrote:
canaan wrote:

Canned beer is great.
This is really interesting. What do you think is the reason behind this trend? I admit it was weird for me to overcome the mental block "only tasteless cheap stuff is in cans", though thanks to Surly products I am now over it. Which is probably a good thing, because I will be moving back to NW Arkansas for the Spring semester soon, and there is apparently a new good microbrewery in town (Core Brewing Co. http://www.corebeer.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) which ideed puts a lot of their stuff in cans.
Cans are cheaper, and no longer have the "aluminum" flavor. They also do a better job of protecting the product, since they allow no light in. The problem is, breweries have to switch operations over from bottling to canning.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Distributors? Honestly, Total Wine had the best variety and selection. There are a couple places just over the boarder in SC that have a nice selection as well. Frugal Macdoogals, which is right off 77 and has a nice growler fill station. Southern Spirits on 521 has a good selection.
If you're talking about pubs, I don't know as much. there's a section of charlotte called NoDa, which had good stuff on tap (VGBG, Growlers Pourhouse). One of the recent breweries that opened is called NoDa and there beer is great. Also a brewery called Birdsong, but haven't tried that yet.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

shmenguin wrote:
If possible, tell delpen where to get BCBS. I'm visiting soon.
Is the their website accurate on who actually has it? If I wasn't working I'd drive to Spartanburg but if this stuff pops up at random I'll see where else I can try.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

ST Krampus is delicious....May be my new favorite holiday beer
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Victory Red Thunder. Very good. Aged in red wine barrels. Subtle wine flavor, but definitely there.