Darius Kasparaitis creator of the "stick salute?"

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Darius Kasparaitis creator of the "stick salute?"

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Darren Dreger has this little tidbit about the stick salute:
As for the symbolism of the salute - let's blame Marek Malik. Based on the little research I've done on this matter, it appears New York Rangers defenceman Darius Kasparaitis introduced the nod to the fans following Malik's jaw dropping shootout goal in 2005 against the Washington Capitals.
Many of the Rangers weren't initially sold on the salute - they thought it was too European - but they quickly bought in and the rest of the National Hockey League eventually caught on.
Evidently, the Maple Leafs' players decided to stop saluting the fans after a home win and it caused an uproar with the Canadian media (and thus Twitter).

http://www.tsn.ca/dreger-report-alfreds ... d-1.140932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's that goal: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Darius Kasparaitis creator of the "stick salute?"

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

wow, that's funny

after the Penguins/Rangers shootout last week I was thinking that the only other shootout that I've seen that was as memorable was the one where Malik scored the between the legs goals (he was like the 10th shooter for the Rags or something at that point).

I would imagine the stick salute is older than that...
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

The salute is not needed, only after the last game of the regular season for a team, or after the elimitating game of that year should a team salute.

I hope Toronto sticks with it and stops it. I know after the lockout players were instructed to do it to try and bring the fans back.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Desiato »

It's like being outraged [about meaningless, incidental things] is trendy these days.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

Desiato wrote:It's like being outraged [about meaningless, incidental things] is trendy these days.
This post makes me mad, it was not needed and everyone could of done with out it. Next time put some thought and concider some other peoples feelings befor you just randomly post something like this.

(Sorry, i always like to do the trendy thing!!)