Kings as a trading partner?

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Kings as a trading partner?

Post by BigMcK »

Given the legal battles that defenseman Slava Voynov in engaged in, would it make sense for the Kings to kick the tires on a Paul Martin trade? Would the Pens be interested in opening talks for former first rounder Tanner Pearson and ??? for Martin?

One would guess LA would be on Martin's list of acceptable teams. Both teams are highly regarded organizations.

Thoughts?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Kings as a trading partner?

Post by canaan »

Why would the kings give up Pearson?
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Martin +++++ for pearson. Not pearson+ for martin.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Yeah, prying Pearson away really seems like a longshot. They'd have to break up their most productive line to do so too...
cma3585
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by cma3585 »

Eklund has his cell # on his Twitter profile I just noticed and am tempted to text him tomorrow saying I work in the CEC and have overheard discussion b/w Rutherford and Lemieux about Pearson for Harrington + a mid round pick.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Plus, McNabb is playing prett we'll from what I've seen.

But, do they really regard Pearson that highly? Seems like they could spare him if they deemed a top 4 dman a need (still probably Martin+).
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Seems like moving pearson would be something theyd consider in the offseason, not now. Do they need an underperforming defender now?
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Dean Lombardi made comment last night that the Kings are looking for a Top 4 D-man to eat up the minutes that Voynov did. He said 22 games into the season, that he has not heard of any such player being made available.

Maybe Martin isn't considered a Top 4 in certain circles? Maybe the Pens are not shopping him?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Probably the latter.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by DocEmrick »

Malkin for Kopitar, Brown, Doughty, Quick and a 1st
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by the riddler »

I think Martin to the Kings makes sense because he'd probably be OK with going there. I don't know who they'd get in return. I saw Jordan Nolan was receiving interest from some Eastern Conference teams: http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014 ... -in-nolan/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Obviously Nolan for Martin isn't enough from the Kings. Getting Nolan and a couple other pieces in return and the ability to utilize more cap space for another trade might be an idea they're kicking around.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Kings are in some serious cap trouble next year with their kids and a few vets up for new contracts, and they need to find a voynov replacement. Pearson for Pouliot would be one of those deals that hurts to make, on both sides, but ultimately works out for the best.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

pcm wrote:Kings are in some serious cap trouble next year with their kids and a few vets up for new contracts, and they need to find a voynov replacement. Pearson for Pouliot would be one of those deals that hurts to make, on both sides, but ultimately works out for the best.
Kings want to win another cup this year. You don't make a trade for future cap issues during the season if you are in contention. Adding Pouliot does nothing for them this season.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Have the kings exclusively drafted forwards for the past 6 years? They are probably not that screwed.