GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by eddysnake »

stopper40 wrote:
JS© wrote:
eddysnake wrote:Apparently southern tier has a rum barrel aged pumpking on limited release
Spoiler:
has anybody seen this anywhere? Place back home has it for sale, but it only selling by the case.
I need to find this, I need it in my life
I've been trying to call up to the brewery. When I read about this, it said a very limited distribution. I had a really tough time finding tier de garde and if it's more limited than that, you may have to take a trip up to NY to find it. I'll let you know when I speak with them.
letsgoalpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by letsgoalpens »

shmenguin wrote:it's bourbon county season. how is everyone proceeding? stalking local stores? making road trips?

i'm bummed that it's a black friday release. it's easier for me to bail on work than it is to get out of the house on a holiday.
Going to grab as much of the barley wine as possible down here in Georgia. Will have family in Iowa, Illinois, and Indiana grab what they can of the stout (since Georgia can't get any since it is >14% abv) and pick it up at Christmas. I LOVE the barley wine and my growler store is throwing a keg on the 2013 BCBW on next week. Doubt my family will be able to get any of the variants but the regular BCBS is PERFECTLY fine with me.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

eddysnake wrote:
stopper40 wrote:
JS© wrote:
eddysnake wrote:Apparently southern tier has a rum barrel aged pumpking on limited release
Spoiler:
has anybody seen this anywhere? Place back home has it for sale, but it only selling by the case.
I need to find this, I need it in my life
I've been trying to call up to the brewery. When I read about this, it said a very limited distribution. I had a really tough time finding tier de garde and if it's more limited than that, you may have to take a trip up to NY to find it. I'll let you know when I speak with them.
Thank you

Speaking of Pumking, had a black and tan made with Pumking and Guinness. Makes a wonderful drink
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

letsgoalpens wrote:
shmenguin wrote:it's bourbon county season. how is everyone proceeding? stalking local stores? making road trips?

i'm bummed that it's a black friday release. it's easier for me to bail on work than it is to get out of the house on a holiday.
Going to grab as much of the barley wine as possible down here in Georgia. Will have family in Iowa, Illinois, and Indiana grab what they can of the stout (since Georgia can't get any since it is >14% abv) and pick it up at Christmas. I LOVE the barley wine and my growler store is throwing a keg on the 2013 BCBW on next week. Doubt my family will be able to get any of the variants but the regular BCBS is PERFECTLY fine with me.
supposedly, this year's batch is 13.8%...which is a bummer in general, but might work out for you.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you’re like us, many of your favorite microbrews aren't sold in bottles. When you bring home that limited-release double IPA from your favorite brewpub, chances are it comes home in a glass growler. However, we know glass growlers have their drawbacks: They go flat once they're opened, they let in air, which spoils your beer, and they don't travel well.

Our mission at GrowlerWerks is to make a growler that works. One that doesn’t let air into your beer, maintains perfect carbonation from the first pour to the last, and keeps beer cold for hours – all in a product you'll love showing off at your friend's next BBQ or party. GrowlerWerks was created by local Portlanders who love craft beer. We've drawn on a combined 47 years of engineering and product-design experience to make a better way to store beer, so it always taste exactly how the brewmaster intended.

Our design is complete, the prototype works great, and we've partnered with a manufacturer. Now with your help we can bring this idea and product to market! Thanks for supporting our project.

that's a hell of a price for a growler and if I drank more I might even pony up for a $79 64 oz one, but with an indefinite job future at the moment (I should know by the end of the year...yeah, happy holidays), trying to keep purchases like this to a minimum. They are 10x over the kickstarter goal, so they will be shipping.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

Tonight I bought Delirium Noel and St. Bernardus Christmas Ale. Plan to try them this weekend.

I've never had Delirium before. And while I've had St. Bernardus, never had the Christmas Ale.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Saw Lost Abbey at Giant Eagle tonight. And only $9.99. It was the Devotion Ale. Hopefully a sign of things to come. Would be awesome if I could regularly buy 750s of Lost Abbey Red Barn Ale 5 minutes from my house.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

Kraftster wrote:Saw Lost Abbey at Giant Eagle tonight. And only $9.99. It was the Devotion Ale. Hopefully a sign of things to come. Would be awesome if I could regularly buy 750s of Lost Abbey Red Barn Ale 5 minutes from my house.
Were you at the Market District GE in Shadyside? It's there as well. I almost bought some.

Edit: You probably weren't at my MD. Because it does have the Red Barn Ale, that's what I looked at.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Really? Wow. That's great. Same price range?

No, I was at Randy's old stomping grounds in Shaler.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

Kraftster wrote:Really? Wow. That's great. Same price range?

No, I was at Randy's old stomping grounds in Shaler.
It was actually in a 6 pack (bottles). Red Barn and another type as well. Don't seem to have a lot, looks like once it's sold it's gone.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Damn. 6 pack of Red Barn. That'd be awesome.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

llipgh2 wrote:Tonight I bought Delirium Noel and St. Bernardus Christmas Ale. Plan to try them this weekend.

I've never had Delirium before. And while I've had St. Bernardus, never had the Christmas Ale.
Those 2 are on my list for over the holiday.. if I can find them. I have 16 days off over Christmas and the wife and I thought it would be fun to dink Belgians throughout. I have been trying to stock up on different Belgian styles. Any recommendations from the experts?
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

eddysnake wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:Tonight I bought Delirium Noel and St. Bernardus Christmas Ale. Plan to try them this weekend.

Those 2 are on my list for over the holiday.. if I can find them. I have 16 days off over Christmas and the wife and I thought it would be fun to dink Belgians throughout. I have been trying to stock up on different Belgian styles. Any recommendations from the experts?
Dont know if it's out of your way, but the Shadyside Market District has both beers. They have a ton of winter/holiday beers in stock right now.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

The St Bernardus Xmas is a fantastic beer
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

so bourbon county has this big black friday release thing going on. but a couple of things...

-there's no way every store is going to get the beer at the same time
-i've called a couple of places and they're saying they think they're getting it earlier in the week

so what's the deal? they could get it on monday, but goose island tells them they're not allowed to sell it until friday? will places just start selling it once it rolls in, and the black friday thing is just the official date?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

a few days ago, the Chicago tribune had an article about the different styles of BCS this year. I thought I read on BA the other day about which cities are getting distributions and when.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyle ... tml#page=1
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Saw that Robinson market district was having a Lost Abbey tap takeover tonight. Only see two taps so far.

Worth stopping?
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

saw a bunch of 4 packs of founders backwoods bastard at my local wegman's yesterday. the store next to my office has a bunch of it as well. weird...i guess it must be easier to mass produce than KBS. i've read good things about it. might pick up a few.
letsgoalpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by letsgoalpens »

shmenguin wrote:so bourbon county has this big black friday release thing going on. but a couple of things...

-i've called a couple of places and they're saying they think they're getting it earlier in the week

so what's the deal? they could get it on monday, but goose island tells them they're not allowed to sell it until friday? will places just start selling it once it rolls in, and the black friday thing is just the official date?
Places will get them early but aren't supposed to release it until friday. Not sure about GI but I know some breweries will not allocate their special releases to stores that release beers early.

Get the backwoods bastard. It is a really, really good beer. It just doesn't sell like KBS and isn't as carefully allocated.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

letsgoalpens wrote:
shmenguin wrote:so bourbon county has this big black friday release thing going on. but a couple of things...

Places will get them early but aren't supposed to release it until friday. Not sure about GI but I know some breweries will not allocate their special releases to stores that release beers early.

Get the backwoods bastard. It is a really, really good beer. It just doesn't sell like KBS and isn't as carefully allocated.
i looked around a bit and it seems like that's the case. a few people already have some bottles in hand, but are hush hush about where they got it since they could get people in trouble.

there's a place i got my KBS from that i suspect won't be shy about selling their stock early. hopefully they'll have something on monday (they're also selling cases of backwoods bastard, so it would be a win win). i'll hit up a bunch of local places next week, too. see if i can trick a layman into selling me some early. i really don't want to have to deal with the black friday thing. a couple of reliable places around here are way too close to shopping malls for me to just get in and out without frustration.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Any opinions on Great Lakes Christmas Ale? Looking for something in a trade that speaks winter warmer.

Thanks,
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

BigMcK wrote:Any opinions on Great Lakes Christmas Ale? Looking for something in a trade that speaks winter warmer.

Thanks,
It varies from year to year. Last year's was really bad. I have yet to try this year's beer, but I'd imagine they got enough flack for last year's batch and fixed it for this year. Overall it's one beer I look forward to every year.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

count2infinity wrote:
BigMcK wrote:Any opinions on Great Lakes Christmas Ale? Looking for something in a trade that speaks winter warmer.

Thanks,
It varies from year to year. Last year's was really bad. I have yet to try this year's beer, but I'd imagine they got enough flack for last year's batch and fixed it for this year. Overall it's one beer I look forward to every year.
Great. Thanks,
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Maybe I need to give it another chance then. I only tried it last year and was kind of disappointed.

My personal favorite Christmas ale is Delirium Noel, though I still have many to try. I'm a fan of the Delirium line however.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

Stopped at Brews Brothers on the way home from work and asked about Rumking and BCS.

1. He's supposed to get Rumking in but he doesn't know how much. If he only get's a case or 2 he may just raffle them off at a Pumking party. Also said the reason it's not out yet is that there are some kind of issues with the name

2. That's exactly what he did with BCS last year and he may end up doing the same thing this year.

Nothing is set in stone as he has to see how much he gets in of either one