Bryan Murray has Stage-4 colon cancer. :(

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Bryan Murray has Stage-4 colon cancer. :(

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

http://t.co/TpsF1PoqWu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“There is no cure at this point for me,” Murray said of his Stage-4 (the most serious) colon cancer, which had also spread to his lungs and liver. “The frustrating part — and I’ve said this to several doctors since then — is, ‘How come there were no signs?’ ”
The soon-to-be 72-year-old Murray announced in July he was suffering from the disease, but in his discussion with Farber he said he’s since learned he was likely living with some form of cancer for the past decade without knowing it. He had not undergone a colonoscopy that likely would have detected a problem and dealt with it at an earlier stage, but to his credit, Murray is not feeling sorry for himself and made a point to advocate for men to have prostate exams.
“Like a lot of men do, I put it off,” Murray told Farber. “A simple colonoscopy, in my case, probably would have solved this problem I have.”
Get those tests done...
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Bryan Murray has Stage-4 colon cancer. :(

Post by dodint »

Not to be flippant, but being 72 is a sign in and of itself. Don't people start doing colonoscopies at 50? When does prostate stuff start, 40?

Hope he stays as comfortable as possible for as long as possible.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

He said in the interview that he was told there was no rush to get it done, because he "Was healthy and disease didn't run in his family". Which I found odd, but maybe in Canada it isn't suggested that colonoscopies start at 50.

I just found it interesting he exhibited no symptoms. Or he said he didn't. Maybe he didn't know what to look for?
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

Prayers to you, Murray. This sucks.

I had my first colonoscopy a few months ago due to being 51 and my DR being a tyrant about it, and all went well. I lost a father-in-law to colon cancer and I would encourage everybody that hits the 50 mark to go just get it done because it's not that bad.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

I just heard Bob Grove mention Bryan Murray. How horribly sad for him and his family.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

colonoscopies aren't so bad for the most part. yes, it's uncomfortable but the anesthesia handles about 99% of it.
for me the worst part was the prep. that GoLyte stuff they make you drink is just about the grossest stuff ever.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

shoeshine boy wrote:that GoLyte stuff they make you drink is just about the grossest stuff ever.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

I don't find the lemon lime to be that disgusting actually...it's just so much of it...it's not my favorite drink in the world obviously, but that chalk milkshake barium x-ray stuff is way, way worse...
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

I had a colonoscopy 20 years ago (early issue, false alarm) and am due to start having them regularly soon. you'd think in 20 years they'd come up with SOMETHING better.