Comcast and NHL Network Listings

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Faubert5
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Comcast and NHL Network Listings

Post by Faubert5 »

What's up with Comcast and NHL Network. Over the last few days I've DVR'd replays and games to find the listings don't match what's shown. The other night the Pens/Kings game was replaced with Devils/Jets and a few nights before a replay was listed as the Pens but ended up being someone else.

Today there were three separate replays listed including the Pens/Kings but all three were the Montreal/Vancouver game.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Comcast and NHL Network Listings

Post by columbia »

It's unacceptable for those of us who are paying for the NHLN and Game Center.
I had to once again watch an illegal feed last night.

I have contacted the NHL, but, naturally, they have not bothered to respond.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

The NHL finally responded:
Greetings,

Thank you for taking the time to contact GameCenter Live support.

Just to confirm…Games broadcast on local and national television in your area are subject to blackouts in NHL GameCenter LIVE. Generally, if a game is available for you to view on television in your local viewing area, then it will not be available to watch live in NHL GameCenter LIVE. Regardless, after 48 hours the full length game replays will be available in the game archive.

For guidance regarding local blackouts in your area please enter your zip/postal code on the page below.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/ziplookup.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please note that this lookup is only offered as guidance and your location is determined by the IP address you are accessing the service from. Blackouts are enforced based on the location of your viewing and not your purchase, so if you are traveling blackouts will be enforced accordingly.

Nationally televised games on NBC, NBC Sports Network, and NHL Network-US in the US are also subject to blackouts in NHL GameCenter LIVE as well.

*For international customers, blackout restrictions may apply to games that appear on an NHL partner network in your viewing area. International partners include, ARENA SPORTS, CANAL PLUS SPORTS, Nelonen, NOVA SPORT, SPORT 1 Hungary & Romania,OSN SPORT, PRAGO SPORT, PREMIER Sports, PRISA TV, SETANTA SPORT, Setanta 1, Setanta Ireland, SPORT TV Portugal, SPORT TV Slovenia, UKRAINE Hockey Channel and VIASAT. Please check your local listings for broadcasts on these networks.

If you are being incorrectly blacked out of local games or all games on your device, please let us know where you are located and what your assigned IP address is. You can obtain your IP address from http://www.whatismyip.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

If you are being blacked out of all games on your iPhone or iPad please try the following.
1) Delete NHL app
2) Turn 'OFF' master location services in settings-->privacy (at top of page)
3) Reinstall app
4) Launch app (say NO when it asks u to turn on location services)
5) Sign in with username, try a game

If these suggestions do not resolve or address your issue please let us know and further explain what we can be of assistance with.

Regards,

NHL Support
That conveniently ignores that the games weren't actually on TV.

:roll:
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Sounds like a IP proxy service would be beneficial. I have never used one though and have no idea how to.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Sounds like a IP proxy service would be beneficial. I have never used one though and have no idea how to.
They're incredibly simple. I used unblock-us last year because I was stuck in a Root Sports dead zone (too far from Pittsburgh to get Roots, too close to be considered "out of region"). Just sign up for unblock-us. I think it's about 4 bucks a month. Follow the step-by-step guide to change your DNS settings on whatever device you want. I changed my AppleTV, Xbox 360, and Mac. Super easy. Then, just log into Gamecenter. Not only will you get all NHL Network games, but you'll also get NBCSN and NBC games.

It's worth it.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Thanks for the info!
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

After a lengthy call with Gamcenter about black outs on NHL network that usually pick up the feeds from the home team any ways I was finally informed the NHL has nothing to do with NHL Network, it's completely owned by Comcast. I get why exclusives on NBCSN are blacked out but when you pick up the same exact feed but put yout own ticker anf intermission reports on top that makes no sense esepcially when I am already paying for Game Center. I have no problem using unblock-us to use something I am already paying for.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

DelPen wrote:After a lengthy call with Gamcenter about black outs on NHL network that usually pick up the feeds from the home team any ways I was finally informed the NHL has nothing to do with NHL Network, it's completely owned by Comcast. I get why exclusives on NBCSN are blacked out but when you pick up the same exact feed but put yout own ticker anf intermission reports on top that makes no sense esepcially when I am already paying for Game Center. I have no problem using unblock-us to use something I am already paying for.
It's totally ridiculous, I agree. I fought for days with DirecTV/NHL about my situation in Ohio last year. DirecTV considered me in the Pittsburgh region, NHL considered me out of area. Insane. I had to resort to paying for Game Center and unblock-us. It sucks, but it sounds like that's your solution as well.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I wanted to catch the end of the BOS/MON game on the NHLN, because that's what Comcast claims they are carrying.

Nope. It's the Leafs and Detroit, instead.

No problem, I'll just watch it on Game Center.

Nope. That game is available in your area, so it's blacked out.

At this point, I'm convinced that Comcast in scamming all GC customers, so that they will get Center Ice next year and Comcast can get a piece of the action.