Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by slappybrown »

"top 5 life event"
Last edited by slappybrown on Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Juice »

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:obviously I don't know what it's like to have a kid because I'm only 6 years old, but I assume the "tell everyone about it" thing is similar to owning a pet. Everyone is obsessed with their own pet but nobody cares about anyone else's pet. Whenever I'm around people that own pets, it's always a battle to show as many pet pictures as possible because everyone only cares about their own pet and no one else's.

I'm definitely not articulating this correctly and people are gonna flip out ("you're comparing owning a pet to having a kid!")

I don't deny that having a kid is a top 5 life event, but to other people nobody cares. They only care about their own kids.
you don't articulate anything correctly, most likely because your head is full of water
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote: I don't deny that having a kid is a top 5 life event, but to other people nobody cares. They only care about their own kids.
you haven't spent enough time around females. particularly older ones. they love them some pictures of babbies
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

I actually care a lot about my friends/family kids and enjoy hearing stories, or seeing pictures of them.

Heck, I don't know any of you personally on here, and I still enjoy reading about the stories of the kids and how they have grown and progressed through life.
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Juice »

newarenanow wrote:I don't know any of you personally on here
by design... weirdo
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:obviously I don't know what it's like to have a kid because I'm only 6 years old...
:lol: :lol: :fist: :thumb:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:but I assume the "tell everyone about it" thing is similar to owning a pet. Everyone is obsessed with their own pet but nobody cares about anyone else's pet. Whenever I'm around people that own pets, it's always a battle to show as many pet pictures as possible because everyone only cares about their own pet and no one else's.

I'm definitely not articulating this correctly and people are gonna flip out ("you're comparing owning a pet to having a kid!")

I don't deny that having a kid is a top 5 life event, but to other people nobody cares. They only care about their own kids.
1) It's more like a top 1 life event. At worst it's 1b.
2) I care about other people, and knowing what having a child is like, I love to hear/see stories of other people enjoying this part of life. I dunno, maybe having a kid changed me (yes...it did...) but hearing about other people's kids is an enjoyment for me. Of course there are exceptions. The yearly "LOOK AT HOW FABULOUS MY FAMILY IS DOING" Christmas letters are a peeve of mine. I guess it's mostly because without FB that is the way it used to be done and it was usually done by people MUCH better off than my family was doing. "Johnny got accepted into Harvard. Jane is studying abroad in Greece. Henry and I just built a FABULOUS addition to the beach house..." Great! We got a new trash can so...we have that going for us :lol:
pens9192
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pens9192 »

The baby shower for our second child (2011) was a gender reveal. My wife and I already knew the gender and we ordered the cake batter to be pink. No one else knew the gender before the party. People liked it. No big deal.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

newarenanow wrote:I actually care a lot about my friends/family kids and enjoy hearing stories, or seeing pictures of them.

Heck, I don't know any of you personally on here, and I still enjoy reading about the stories of the kids and how they have grown and progressed through life.
I agree with this 100%.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

To shad's post:

[ ] Not Told
[ ] Told
[X] ANQUAN TOLD-IN
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:obviously I don't know what it's like to have a kid because I'm only 6 years old, but I assume the "tell everyone about it" thing is similar to owning a pet. Everyone is obsessed with their own pet but nobody cares about anyone else's pet. Whenever I'm around people that own pets, it's always a battle to show as many pet pictures as possible because everyone only cares about their own pet and no one else's.

maybe im not as much of a mutant hellbent on cynicism as i originally thought. or at least im not the worst. thanks for making me feel better.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

newarenanow wrote:I actually care a lot about my friends/family kids and enjoy hearing stories, or seeing pictures of them.

add also: pets. i like to see how other people interact, train, and discipline. im by no means the best parent or pet owner, but i keep an open eye to becoming better at both of those things by learning from the other people in my life.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by obhave »

I like the idea of the reveal happening during the baby shower. I can imagine family and friends loving it. However, I would be annoyed going to two different parties. Although, I haven't gotten to the age where my friends have kids/I have kids, so that could change.

I do like the occasional updates/stories about family members kids on fb. I live far from all my family, so its nice to see.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

obhave wrote: I do like the occasional updates/stories about family members kids on fb. I live far from all my family, so its nice to see.
I do too.

It gets old with the person or two I am friends with posts something like 5 times a day about themselves or their kids, but like someone else said, it's easy to scroll past it.

But some of my friends have moved, some I don't get to see as often because we are busy with said kids, but when I see them post something, and see how much the kid has grown, or they are doing something fun in life, I enjoy it.

And this is from someone who only posts maybe 2 or 3 times a year on facebook. (I save all of my posting for here).
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

I like posts about peoples kids, too.

Especially in light of people who feel like they need to post a few times a day bashing people who disagree with their political philosophies.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

A different question. When someone close to you dies, should you feel sad or not? Billions of people die all of the time, so it's really not much of an achievement.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Definitely a bottom 5 life event.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

shafnutz05 wrote:
dodint wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
dodint wrote:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote: I don't know, the whole thing seems stupid and put on a pedestal.
Creating a person? I think so. They're easy to make. It happens literally a billion times every 7.2 years. It's special for you and your immediate family. The rest of the world doesn't care, unless you're royalty. And even then, meh.
It isn't that easy to make. We went through 6 miscarriages and it took us around 5 years to make our two kids. And that happens a lot more than you think.
My mother had three miscarriages before me and two before my sister. I'll have to dig up some baby pictures of myself to send you.

I sympathize with you, honestly. But ignoring billions of people to prove your point that there are exceptions deserves some snark. I can't have any (not that I want to), so by that token you guys are factory. Childbirth is an accomplishment, but not a unique achievement, was my point.
You are an extraordinarily bitter, miserable man. The bolded statement is one of the most ignorant things I've read on this board, especially for anyone that knows the heartbreak and difficulty so many couples go through trying to conceive. What do you share on your Facebook page (assuming you have one)? Pictures of the BMW vehicles you mention frequently on here? Because I would venture to guess a lot less people give a flying **** about your cars or whatever than the thing you are decrying.

As to the second bolded part, when someone opens up about the difficulty their family has gone through, no, that really isn't the time for snark. I think this is the first time I've ever seen anyone attempt to trivialize miscarriage. Of course, I would think that someone who's spouse is bravely fighting her own medical battles would be a little more conscientious about that, but I guess not.
Judgemental much? I'm not the one that opened the miscarriage door. Perhaps you could point the finger at the person that trivialized it in the first place by using it to leverage a useless argument in a thread with 'irrational' in the title. Completely ignoring my experience with miscarriage was a nice touch, as well.

Usually any discussion that involves life comes down to "If you don't have kids your opinon is irrelevant" and it's such a tired cliche, and that is what I'm responding to. I still stand that the institution of childbirth is part of the human condition, not a marker of progress. Some people don't put it on the pedestal that started all of this, and to completely box those folks out is gross and discriminatory. I feel most horrible for those that want kids and can't have them, especially in the context of trailer park breeders that have them every year and don't place any sort of value on the process.

Yes, people are clamoring for pictures of the '93 BMW 3-series I paid $3000 for last year, that I mention in the car thread when it comes up. Such a petty, weak minded thing to latch onto. Talk about irrational. I rarely use my FB, mostly to use as a backup chat service when GChat is blocked by whatever proxy I'm behind.

If nan, or you, or anyone else is genuinely offended you have my sincere apology. I come here to have fun and pass the time, not to ruin anyones day.
A different question. When someone close to you dies, should you feel sad or not? Billions of people die all of the time, so it's really not much of an achievement.
Of course you should feel sad, the same way you should feel something with any other 'top 5' life event. Shooting video of the funeral and posting pictures of the gravestone five times a day for several years would be offputting, though.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I've always been annoyed by people saying that I would change my mind about not wanting to be a father. Nope, that never happened.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Having to choose between "Self" or "Family" for medical plans at my new job, when other employers offer Self, Self +1, and Family. I'd like a rate that fits my actual coverage. You'd think the federal government would've been a little more inclusive when they negotiated the plans. Irrational, perhaps.
columbia wrote:I've always been annoyed by people saying that I would change my mind about not wanting to be a father. Nope, that never happened.
One of the few brightsides of cancer is that, even though as teenagers we didn't want kids and stuck to it no problem, the choice isn't ours anymore and people can cut us some slack. My Dad is annoyed we didn't have them before the cancer, but he'll get over it in time. Or not. I try not to let it bother me because he wanted a grandkid to have fun with once a year, and I would've been stuck raising it the rest of the time. Though had I got her knocked up in high school like they wanted/hoped the kid would be in its early teens now.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Motion to not let dodint talk about kids anymore.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

columbia wrote:I've always been annoyed by people saying that I would change my mind about not wanting to be a father. Nope, that never happened.
Same here. I'm 45 and have never had the slightest inclination or desire for (human) children. Been married for twenty years and, luckily, my wife is even more strongly against the idea than I am.

If my mother ever had the desire for grandchidren, well, I got a couple of brothers who produce pretty prolifically.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

meow wrote:Motion to not let dodint talk about kids anymore.
:thumb:

Although I'm pretty much just ignoring him going forward.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

redwill wrote:
Same here. I'm 45 and have never had the slightest inclination or desire for (human) children. Been married for twenty years and, luckily, my wife is even more strongly against the idea than I am.

If my mother ever had the desire for grandchidren, well, I got a couple of brothers who produce pretty prolifically.
And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. In fact, I'm glad some people recognize this instead of having a kid because they feel they "have to" and then are miserable the rest of their lives.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

meow wrote:Motion to not let dodint talk about kids anymore.
A joke, I'm sure. But this unilateral discrimination is exactly what I'm talking about.

I *very* rarely post in the LGP Parenting Thread out of respect, even though I enjoy reading it.

Ignore away. Don't accept my apology, that's fine. I didn't resort to name calling and making it personal so it's to my benefit.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

not to detract from this conversation, but the stretch of road when you get off 376 in wilkinsburg and head towards the city between where the gas station is and the turn off to south avenue is a complete disaster every single time.

i have indicated with a red X approximately every location where i have almost been hit. you get the people who are in the right lane and sort of drift between the straight lanes, especially when you bank to the left going up ardmore, you get the people who are trying to turn in to the first entrance to the gas station and sort of live in limbo between the two lanes so people try to swerve around them, you get the people who dont realize the lane is a turn only on to south avenue who change lanes immediately, you get the people who are in the far right lane and decide at a moments notice the light for ardmore is way too long so they come over like a bat out of hell right before the south avenue turn to take the back street.

i imagine there are at least 10 near misses there every day.
Spoiler:
Last edited by Letang Is The Truth on Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.