Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by dodint »

The garbage collector was really pissed off this morning, was laying on his horn everytime he got to a new pickup place. Got me out of bed and to work early on a Monday, so that's something.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

meow wrote:
DropEmJayBird wrote:I see people talking about facebook - and being annoyed that friends put up an exciting moment in their lives....
What do you think facebook is? Why do you have facebook - what do you expect your friends to put on facebook?
Especially probably the most exciting moment in their lives, up until that point. Shame on them.
I think the peeve wasn't about the sharing, but the attempt to make it an over-the-top event. Gender reveal parties with multi-cam setups, elaborate cakes, and marketing. Sharing with your friends is great, but when you're trying to go viral with it (the one I've seen is when the kid flips his **** because it's a girl) doesn't that deflect from what you're actually celebrating?
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

meh... they're excited, let them be excited. in 2013 the average cost of a wedding in America is $30,000 (according to theknot.com... http://www.xogroupinc.com/press-release ... dding.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). I find that to be over the top, outrageous, deflecting from what should be celebrated, etc, but hey, if it makes them happy, great. I'll take my wedding (I think it was 7k when all was said and done) any day of the week because it was very much us.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

If they had a big uber-celebration when the kid was born or at the shower, but it meant they wouldn't post a new picture of the kid every single day for the next 7 years, that would be amazing. I would fund their kickstarter.

It sounds harmless, but whe you have 100 friends and 90 of them are doing it, good lord.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

dodint wrote:
meow wrote:
DropEmJayBird wrote:I see people talking about facebook - and being annoyed that friends put up an exciting moment in their lives....
What do you think facebook is? Why do you have facebook - what do you expect your friends to put on facebook?
Especially probably the most exciting moment in their lives, up until that point. Shame on them.
I think the peeve wasn't about the sharing, but the attempt to make it an over-the-top event. Gender reveal parties with multi-cam setups, elaborate cakes, and marketing. Sharing with your friends is great, but when you're trying to go viral with it (the one I've seen is when the kid flips his **** because it's a girl) doesn't that deflect from what you're actually celebrating?
Sounds like you (not you specifically) are annoyed with the person and not the event. I bet this is par for the course with the person. Over the top statuses, share this, share that, blah, blah, blah.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

dodint wrote:If they had a big uber-celebration when the kid was born or at the shower, but it meant they wouldn't post a new picture of the kid every single day for the next 7 years, that would be amazing. I would fund their kickstarter.
well... you're definitely in the right thread. completely irrational. that's what facebook is to most people.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I just unfollow folks after a while. I have a really good friend that I love dearly, but he's always the martyr to some cause. Every few months I'll turn him back on, then after a while switch him off again. He's an auto industry journalist so you'd think he'd have some awareness of what he's putting out there, but he doesn't. Bummer.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

some of you doth protest to much about this baby stuff. seems like you're hiding a deeper alienation about the whole thing.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

When I had FB I never found it that difficult to just not read statuses that I dodin't want to ( :pop: ). I had plenty of friends that did the 'share this and share that' stuff but I just scrolled on. It never bothered me :meowshrug:
shmenguin wrote:some of you doth protest to much about this baby stuff. seems like you're hiding a deeper alienation about the whole thing.
I think this is nail on the head.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

when I was in my Facebook usage prime about 3-4 years ago, I had this weird delusion that people actually cared about statuses that I posted or whatnot. No one actually cares what someone else posts, they only care about what they themselves post. It's just one giant ego trip for everyone and honestly, I was happier when I deactivated my Facebook earlier this year. I'm only going to keep it until football is over because the fantasy league I'm in uses it for communication.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

PensFanInDC wrote:
I think this is nail on the head.
You would.

I didn't start the conversation, and you folks were the one that devolved the "look at me!" behaivor (gender parties) into generic baby hate. I could just as easily say that you're trying to justify your own life choices.

On a message board.

In an irrational pet peeve thread.
Last edited by dodint on Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Sort of in the same vein here. We did not find the sex out of baby meow - we simply had a blue birth announcement after he was born. Several people were down right offended that we didn't know the sex. Seriously offended to point mrs. meow and I found it hilarious.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:when I was in my Facebook usage prime about 3-4 years ago, I had this weird delusion that people actually cared about statuses that I posted or whatnot. No one actually cares what someone else posts, they only care about what they themselves post. It's just one giant ego trip for everyone and honestly, I was happier when I deactivated my Facebook earlier this year. I'm only going to keep it until football is over because the fantasy league I'm in uses it for communication.
Do tell, what does an 8 year old post on Facebook about?
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

meow wrote:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:when I was in my Facebook usage prime about 3-4 years ago, I had this weird delusion that people actually cared about statuses that I posted or whatnot. No one actually cares what someone else posts, they only care about what they themselves post. It's just one giant ego trip for everyone and honestly, I was happier when I deactivated my Facebook earlier this year. I'm only going to keep it until football is over because the fantasy league I'm in uses it for communication.
Do tell, what does an 8 year old post on Facebook about?
wouldn't you like to know?
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

pedobear.jpg
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

Fans that refer to the teams they root for as "we"
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

newarenanow wrote:
dodint wrote:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote: I don't know, the whole thing seems stupid and put on a pedestal.
Creating a person? I think so. They're easy to make. It happens literally a billion times every 7.2 years. It's special for you and your immediate family. The rest of the world doesn't care, unless you're royalty. And even then, meh.
It isn't that easy to make. We went through 6 miscarriages and it took us around 5 years to make our two kids. And that happens a lot more than you think.
My mother had three miscarriages before me and two before my sister. I'll have to dig up some baby pictures of myself to send you.

I sympathize with you, honestly. But ignoring billions of people to prove your point that there are exceptions deserves some snark. I can't have any (not that I want to), so by that token you guys are factory. Childbirth is an accomplishment, but not a unique achievement, was my point.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

I like when my friends post stuff about their kids/finding out they are pregnant. It's awesome to celebrate it and I am happy for them. Grumpy people are grumpy
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

dodint wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
dodint wrote:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote: I don't know, the whole thing seems stupid and put on a pedestal.
Creating a person? I think so. They're easy to make. It happens literally a billion times every 7.2 years. It's special for you and your immediate family. The rest of the world doesn't care, unless you're royalty. And even then, meh.
It isn't that easy to make. We went through 6 miscarriages and it took us around 5 years to make our two kids. And that happens a lot more than you think.
My mother had three miscarriages before me and two before my sister. I'll have to dig up some baby pictures of myself to send you.

I sympathize with you, honestly. But ignoring billions of people to prove your point that there are exceptions deserves some snark. I can't have any (not that I want to), so by that token you guys are factory. Childbirth is an accomplishment, but not a unique achievement, was my point.
Achievement? What is this an Xbox game? Having a child is a life changing experience. Ask someone what it felt like when they saw their child for the first time. There aren't words to describe it becauseit is so unique and so life altering that it can't be expressed. Is the physical existence of a child that you and your wife bore unique? Yes it is because that child is different from everyone that has ever and will ever exist.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

i have no interest whatsoever in other peoples kids. it's one of the most boring things you could talk to me about - ESPECIALLY now that i've had my own. so i understand the haters to an extent.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

PensFanInDC wrote:
dodint wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
dodint wrote:

Achievement? What is this an Xbox game? Having a child is a life changing experience. Ask someone what it felt like when they saw their child for the first time. There aren't words to describe it becauseit is so unique and so life altering that it can't be expressed. Is the physical existence of a child that you and your wife bore unique? Yes it is because that child is different from everyone that has ever and will ever exist.
Yeah, I'm pretty much done with this conversation.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

dodint wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
dodint wrote:

You are an extraordinarily bitter, miserable man. The bolded statement is one of the most ignorant things I've read on this board, especially for anyone that knows the heartbreak and difficulty so many couples go through trying to conceive. What do you share on your Facebook page (assuming you have one)? Pictures of the BMW vehicles you mention frequently on here? Because I would venture to guess a lot less people give a flying **** about your cars or whatever than the thing you are decrying.

As to the second bolded part, when someone opens up about the difficulty their family has gone through, no, that really isn't the time for snark. I think this is the first time I've ever seen anyone attempt to trivialize miscarriage. Of course, I would think that someone who's spouse is bravely fighting her own medical battles would be a little more conscientious about that, but I guess not.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

obviously I don't know what it's like to have a kid because I'm only 6 years old, but I assume the "tell everyone about it" thing is similar to owning a pet. Everyone is obsessed with their own pet but nobody cares about anyone else's pet. Whenever I'm around people that own pets, it's always a battle to show as many pet pictures as possible because everyone only cares about their own pet and no one else's.

I'm definitely not articulating this correctly and people are gonna flip out ("you're comparing owning a pet to having a kid!")

I don't deny that having a kid is a top 5 life event, but to other people nobody cares. They only care about their own kids.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

What shad wrote.