How to stop a 2-0 breakway if you're a goalie

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: How to stop a 2-0 breakway if you're a goalie

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

at least Leggio is going to get a rule named after him
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

mikey287 wrote:
count2infinity wrote:
mikey287 wrote:AHL changed the rule. What a joke.
were you in favor of the Avery rule?
It's funny. I had thought exactly of that when "defending" this (and by "defending" I mean, it is fairly punished in my opinion...unless it becomes an epidemic, which it can't). And I'm board with the Avery rule. I don't think you should be allowed to turn and wave things in front of the goalie's face...I find that to be unsportsmanlike. I find this to be gamemanship. Can't explain why I feel that way. One, I find to be cheap, petty, schoolboy nonsense...the net dislodge thing I find to be more strategic...that's the best I can do. But superficially, the logic is ripe for the picking I must admit...I am extremely circumstantial when it comes to my decision making...
I think the Avery rule is silly. If a player wants to not watch the play and focus on the goalie then let him. Just because the focus of distracting the goalie is better when facing them is no different than having your butt in their face. If it wasn't Avery doing it to Brodeur I don't think there is a rule change. If it was Holmstrom doing it to some no name then people whine about it but nothing changes. The fact that it was the most hated player in the game against the most decorated goalie in the game made the difference there IMO.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

I would agree with this^

Making rules for these kinds of things is silly. So what if now there's a 3 on 1 where the defending player has a broken stick, and he knocks the net off instead of the goalie? Why is the goalie knocking the net of a GM and a penalty shot, whereas a player doing it just a penalty shot? Reactive rules are rarely consistent...
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I think doing it in the first place is kind of silly.