George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by shafnutz05 »

I am assuming a lot of you have read up on this prominent fan theory, but here it is if you haven't (spoilers cover all books)
Spoiler:
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Very intersting
Spoiler:
I haven't seen anything putting together what is going on in the North. Clearly Jon is going to be reborn by Melisandre and be free from his vows since his watch technically ended. I think Manderly and Dustin managed to overthrow the Bolton's and Frey's and sent the letter knowing Jon would fly off the handle causing his short lived assasination.

I'm also sold he is the son of Lyanna and Rhaegar. That makes Danarys his aunt and Aegon his half brother and there's your three headed dragon.

But we have what, two books left to wrap things up? And they are right, we need to see the Others bring Westeros to it's knees by the end of WoW and also threaten Esos or everything Dany did there was just a plot device to allow the dragons to get full sized. Everyone needs to come together.

I can see how you can get Sansa, Jon and Aegon all together by joining against Kingslanding but that's not really the enemy anymore. When does Dany bring Tyrion with her back to Westeros? How and why does Arya come back? Is Bran now just a plot device to get rid of POV chapters or just to allow writing about flashbacks without them really being flashbacks to the time when the Wall was built and battles with the others?

I hope WoW gets to the point.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

Spoiler:
I wouldn't be so sure about Aegon. There is some good evidence that he may not be a Targaryen, but Blackfyre (thus not really Rhaegar's son). This would help explain the "mummer's dragon" prophecy and brings about some interesting questions about Varys' true motives.

and Bran will probably be a pretty important character--he's the strongest skinchanger we've seen in the books (can skinchange into a man, Hodor) and Bloodraven might not have the best intentions.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
Spoiler:
I wouldn't be so sure about Aegon. There is some good evidence that he may not be a Targaryen, but Blackfyre (thus not really Rhaegar's son). This would help explain the "mummer's dragon" prophecy and brings about some interesting questions about Varys' true motives.

and Bran will probably be a pretty important character--he's the strongest skinchanger we've seen in the books (can skinchange into a man, Hodor) and Bloodraven might not have the best intentions.
Spoiler:
Interesting points, I've read the Blackfyre theory as well and it seems to make a lot of sense re: Aegon. The one reason I don't believe that theory is that after Varys shot Kevan Lannister with the arrow, he told him that Aegon Targaryen lived. Why would he do that if he knew Kevan was going to die anyway?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

shafnutz05 wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Interesting points, I've read the Blackfyre theory as well and it seems to make a lot of sense re: Aegon. The one reason I don't believe that theory is that after Varys shot Kevan Lannister with the arrow, he told him that Aegon Targaryen lived. Why would he do that if he knew Kevan was going to die anyway?
Spoiler:
Good call. Unless Varys himself is being tricked... which I kinda doubt.
All of these theories, while interesting kinda lead me to 2 thoughts:

1. People are digging too far into some things
2. They are on the right path, but Martin will croak long before he gets it all into print
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Anyone picking up The World of ice and Fire? Amazon has it for $30 preorder ($20 off). I might pull the trigger.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

I will definitely be picking it up--looking forward to the illustrations.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Warning: This music video (spoilered and link only due to NSFW status) has more F-bombs than a bar full of drunken sailors at last call, plus brief male bare butt, but it's also totally awesome.

The Axis of Awesome - Rage of Thrones
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:I will definitely be picking it up--looking forward to the illustrations.
you're enabling his lollygagging. this book should be boycotted to stop him from doing these side projects.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

shmenguin wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:I will definitely be picking it up--looking forward to the illustrations.
you're enabling his lollygagging. this book should be boycotted to stop him from doing these side projects.
Preach
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

And that sort of did happen. George did go over it, sending back notes, filling gaps... but he also saw that there were areas of the history or setting that he had revealed extremely little about, leaving our effort quite spare. Rather than send us a handful of notes that we would flesh out (as we had imagined he would do), he just set to and started writing... and writing ... and writing. He wrote a lot of text, and with amazing rapidity. Every section was enriched. It's part of the reason a book originally contracted for 50,000 words ended up at 180,000.
:pop: maybe it helped inspire him a little.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

shafnutz05 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
Preach
AMEN bro.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... son-744314" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

7 seasons :scared:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Season 5 spoilers...
Spoiler:
This has been rumored for awhile due to comments by the actor who plays Hodor saying he wasn't going to be in the upcoming season, bu Benioff has finally admitted that Bran will *NOT* be in season 5 due to his story line being so far ahead of all of the characters.

I am not even remotely saddened by this news.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Read a fan theory about Jon Snow the other day
Spoiler:
that he's also a Targaryen. The thought was that he is not Ned's bastard but was birthed from Ned's sister from... I can't remember which Targaryen before Robert usurped the throne. Since Robert killed every Targaryen he could find and Ned was an honorable man he had to save his sisters baby. This was done under the guise that honorable Ned who wasn't known at all for sleeping around even during war time had slept with a woman and now had this bastard that had to be cared for. I think this is more plausible than the Great Northern Conspiracy.
Last edited by Pavel Bure on Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

You might want to spoiler that post :shock:
Spoiler:
The R + L = J theory is probably the most prominent and widely accepted theory in the entire ASOIAF universe. At this point, it's pretty universally accepted that Jon is the child of Rhaegar and Lyanna. I certainly agree that the GNC is more far-reaching, but I still admire the citations and attentions to detail.
Meanwhile, a fun little anecdote from Feast For Crows, found this on Reddit yesterday:
Spoiler:
When Jaime leaves King's Landing for Riverrun, he comes upon a keep of stone eight feet thick held by a man named Hogg. This keep held out against Vargo Hoat and "wolves."

Not long after they come to two hills that should be held by brothers but "their halls has been earth and timber, and only blackened beams remained of them." So that's what happened to the three little pigs in Westeros.

Also, Jaime found a person in the cellar of one that "wore the ruins of a crimson cloak, but Jaime hanged him with the rest" so he likely also got the big bad wolf.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Theory:
Spoiler:
Jon is a Targaryen. He has "died" and will be raised by Mellisandre, therefore freeing him from his vows as a man of the Night's Watch. The Targaryens historically marry their relatives to keep the blood line "pure". Jon marries Dany, they rule as a just King and Queen. The End.

Obviously there is a bit more that happens but that is the gist if where I see this could go. Jon starts the series as an unwanted (by Cat at least) bastard and ends it as King.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

PensFanInDC wrote:Theory:
Spoiler:
Jon is a Targaryen. He has "died" and will be raised by Mellisandre, therefore freeing him from his vows as a man of the Night's Watch. The Targaryens historically marry their relatives to keep the blood line "pure". Jon marries Dany, they rule as a just King and Queen. The End.

Obviously there is a bit more that happens but that is the gist if where I see this could go. Jon starts the series as an unwanted (by Cat at least) bastard and ends it as King.
Unfortunately we will probably never know from Martin himself as the fat hog is probably going to keel over and die before he gets that far.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

Pavel Bure wrote:Read a fan theory about Jon Snow the other day
Spoiler:
that he's also a Targaryen. The thought was that he is not Ned's bastard but was birthed from Ned's sister from... I can't remember which Targaryen before Robert usurped the throne. Since Robert killed every Targaryen he could find and Ned was an honorable man he had to save his sisters baby. This was done under the guise that honorable Ned who wasn't known at all for sleeping around even during war time had slept with a woman and now had this bastard that had to be cared for. I think this is more plausible than the Great Northern Conspiracy.
Spoiler:
R+L=J is probably the most prominent theory that exists, and is basically all but confirmed...hence Jon is literally the "song of ice and fire" (Stark+Targaryen). Also the "grand northern conspiracy" was dismissed by the writers of the World of Ice and Fire in an interview.
PensFanInDC wrote:Theory:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
After everything that has happened in this series, you really think the end is going to be good guy marries good girl rules happily ever after, the end? :shock:
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
Spoiler:
After everything that has happened in this series, you really think the end is going to be good guy marries good girl rules happily ever after, the end? :shock:
lol, my thoughts exactly.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Yes I do :D
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

Martin has publically stated that one of the online fan theories is at least partially correct.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Dickie Dunn wrote:Martin has publically stated that one of the online fan theories is at least partially correct.
Ok...well that narrows it down to just about anything...
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

PensFanInDC wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:Martin has publically stated that one of the online fan theories is at least partially correct.
Yes, but its still something. I guess my original post should have said "prominent" online fan theories. Martin spoke about wanting to surprise readers, but that a lot of people have already figured out part of the ending.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

Dickie Dunn wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:
Yes, but its still something. I guess my original post should have said "prominent" online fan theories. Martin spoke about wanting to surprise readers, but that a lot of people have already figured out part of the ending.
Spoiler:
at this point there's no way Jon isn't Rhaegar and Lyanna's son. There's just way too many textual clues that point in that direction. I'm a little bit worried that the TV show, which will be the medium we see the reveal first in, might not get it right...it's much more difficult to be 'subtle' on the show with respect to revealing things...we haven't heard much about Rhaegar since season 1 and the reveal shouldn't come out of nowhere or it will ring hollow...leaving clues will be a tricky stunt for the writers to pull.