GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

ST oat stout was at d's in bottles a few weeks ago.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Love the ST OS. IMO it's one of the best.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Had an elevation arete barleywine yesterday. I don't know the first thing about barleywines, but I enjoyed this. A little too sweet to drink a lot of, but at 12.58%, you really don't need to.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

Anyone been to the Voodoo brewery in Meadeville? Family in for holidays, Im wondering if its worth 2 hours drive?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Nothing Voodoo does is exceptional, or remarkable for that matter. I've never been to the brewery, but I don't think I've had anything of theirs that would entice me to go. The saisons of theirs are extraordinarily unremarkable iirc. I'd have to look at my notes, but I'm pretty sure I listed one of them as "I'd rather drink ic light"
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

canaan wrote:I'd have to look at my notes
I thought this was one of mikey's posts.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I've heard their Cowbell stout was good.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

columbia wrote:
canaan wrote:I'd have to look at my notes
I thought this was one of mikey's posts.
id have

... To look... At my note....s
UVM2003
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by UVM2003 »

canaan wrote:Nothing Voodoo does is exceptional, or remarkable for that matter. I've never been to the brewery, but I don't think I've had anything of theirs that would entice me to go. The saisons of theirs are extraordinarily unremarkable iirc. I'd have to look at my notes, but I'm pretty sure I listed one of them as "I'd rather drink ic light"
Voodoo absolutely makes high quality beer and their barrel program is tremendous - black magick, grande negro voodoo papi, the k13, among others.

Off the top of my head, beers of theirs worth seeking out include good vibes, hoodoo, cowbell, big black voodoo daddy and love child.

If it's been awhile since you've had their stuff it's time to revisit. I can't think of a better brewery on this side of the state.

Here's thier 'retired' beers; most part of their barrel program. Almost all above 90 and many at 100.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profil ... s&show=arc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I wish I could get access to 16.9 oz. bottles of Franziskaner by the case, because I would strongly consider having one with dinner every night....too expensive by the bottle.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malkinshair »

eddysnake wrote:anyone try the sierra nevada winter pack yet? I really like the pale ale and porter, but I wish they would throw in 2 other beers. The coffee stout intrigues me and I'm impartial to the boomerang IPA. Doesn't really feel like a winter pack besides the porter and stout...
Picked this up for the weekend. I'm enjoying all 4 of them very much. The Coffee Stout is very good...very strong coffee taste without tasting 'fake'. Lots of chocolate notes as well, but not heavy. Porter is also very good, but is somewhat similar in 'feel' to the stout. Boomerang IPA is better than I expected, and the Pale Ale is one of my go-to beers in general. As someone else stated in this thread, Celebration Ale would've made this a ridiculous variety pack, but for $33, you can't beat what you get.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malkinshair »

Wife and I stopped at Stoke's Grill in the North Hills (on McKnight) last week for the first time. Didn't know much about the place, but real nice beer selection!

Wife had a Dale's Pale Ale infused with cranberry and orange. Different...not my cup of tea, but pretty good. I can't remember the other beer she got, but it was a pine forward IPA. Whatever it was, it was good too!

I had ST Warlock. So much better than Pumpking IMO. Then had a Founders Oatmeal Stout on nitro. Didn't even know they had a straight oatmeal. I've always just gone for the Breakfast. Was very good, especially after warming some. Rounded out the night with a Troegs Hop Knife Harvest (bottle). Excellent IPA. Hop forward with a nice finish. Yummy.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

I wish hop knife was a year round girl. Big taste.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

malkinshair wrote:Wife and I stopped at Stoke's Grill in the North Hills (on McKnight) last week for the first time. Didn't know much about the place, but real nice beer selection!

Wife had a Dale's Pale Ale infused with cranberry and orange. Different...not my cup of tea, but pretty good. I can't remember the other beer she got, but it was a pine forward IPA. Whatever it was, it was good too!

I had ST Warlock. So much better than Pumpking IMO. Then had a Founders Oatmeal Stout on nitro. Didn't even know they had a straight oatmeal. I've always just gone for the Breakfast. Was very good, especially after warming some. Rounded out the night with a Troegs Hop Knife Harvest (bottle). Excellent IPA. Hop forward with a nice finish. Yummy.
I've always liked Stoke's, but since they expanded and started serving beer, it is a whole new level. I believe they usually have an Arsenal cider on tap which is pretty awesome.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

MWB wrote:Yeah, they let you sample before you buy, so I would. The Kimmie gets decent reviews, but definitely seems like an out there style.
Had a can of this today. Not something I'd drink again. There were a lot of flavors there and some noticeable funk, but not flavors I liked.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

I watched this on friday: Stone Brewing CEO on Artisanal Entrepreneurialism...its long, but i found it entertaining.

[youtube][/youtube]

good stuff.

str8 link: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

went back to that bar, and tried Delirium Tremens. Wow. Worth every penny. It's labeled as a belgian strong ale, tastes a bit like a tripel (which is one of my favorite styles). I would certainly drink that again if it came across a beer menu I was looking at.

On the, probably wouldn't buy again list is Sierra Nevada's Ovila. It wasn't terrible, just not something I enjoyed. It's labeled was labeled as a quad on the menu, but I got more barley wine than anything else. Only had a hint of that belgian funkiness.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

DT is a trippel IMO, and my personal favorite of the style.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the Delerium line. Just not worth the premium you have to pay for them, imo. If I'm analyzing DT as a tripel, I think it would fall in the category of Weyerbacher Merry Monk's Ale as being too boozy.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Anyone with some more familiarity with the Stone Cali-Belgie IPA care to inform me on what im drinking? I don't think I've ever had an IPA that tasted this thin/clean. I'm not a big IPA guy but I'm trying to press my boundaries. I'm following this up with a Ruination IPA.

After that, I'm falling back into my wheelhouse with some allagash white. :)

I bought some random local Delaware beers over the weekend...none of which I thought had any promise...fordham gypsy being the one name I could remember.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Pitt87 wrote:Anyone been to the Voodoo brewery in Meadeville? Family in for holidays, Im wondering if its worth 2 hours drive?
I think Voodoo's brews range from fair to good. I hear it's a really fun brewery to visit, though. Good food, from what I hear. One of my coworkers went to Allegheny College and in addition to being one of those who speaks highly of Voodoo, he also raves about Sprague Farm. I've never had the opportunity to go/try any Sprague Farm beer myself.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

canaan wrote:Anyone with some more familiarity with the Stone Cali-Belgie IPA care to inform me on what im drinking? I don't think I've ever had an IPA that tasted this thin/clean. I'm not a big IPA guy but I'm trying to press my boundaries. I'm following this up with a Ruination IPA.

I bought some random local Delaware beers over the weekend...none of which I thought had any promise...fordham gypsy being the one name I could remember.
I've never had it but the couple Belgian IPAs that come to mind--Flying Dog Raging *itch and Clown Shoes Tramp Stamp--are interesting but not great. In my limited experiences, I don't think overly hoppy works well with belgian yeast flavors. The Raging itch is pretty hop-forward. I had a hard time finding much of the belgian-ness in that one. A few fruity esters, but I wasn't crazy about it. There seems to be a lack of cohesion. The flavors seem to compete against rather than compliment one another.

As I type this, I recall the Anchorage Galaxy White IPA and wonder if it's a Belgian IPA. I confirm that it is, and I revise my prior statements somewhat. But I note that it uses galaxy hops--non-offense and very much a favorite of mine--and Brett, so it's got some harder funk than your run-of-the-mill belgian. What a description: White IPA brewed w/ 100% Galaxy hops, kumquats, corriander & peppercorns. Fermented in French Oak Foudres. Bottle Conditioned w/ Brett.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

canaan wrote:Anyone with some more familiarity with the Stone Cali-Belgie IPA care to inform me on what im drinking? I don't think I've ever had an IPA that tasted this thin/clean. I'm not a big IPA guy but I'm trying to press my boundaries. I'm following this up with a Ruination IPA.

Ruination is one of my favorites. Did you like it?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next Game of Thrones beer from Ommegang will be "Three-eyed Raven", a "dark saison ale" in the spring.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

Kraftster -- I am going to drink this today. This is probably my last attempt for a while if this doesn't take:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/423/50570/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;