Canaan's thread of NPR chaos.

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Canaan's thread of NPR chaos.

Post by pcm »

Or they could just make icing a penalty.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

This kind of data makes me drool
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

This seems pretty unreliable. Tavares is not fast, Couture is not fast, Datsyuk is not fast or quick...Monahan isn't particularly quick...

I'd like to see them measure Michael Grabner on a breakaway and tell me he's not the fastest player in the league...

I mean, there's some fast players there sure...but by no metric could I see a scenario where MacKinnon is slightly slower or just as slow as John Tavares...

But neat progress, hopefully they can improve upon it in time...
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I was about to say, I didn't realize Tavares was actually/supposed to be that fast.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

His skating has improved quite a bit since he was drafted, but Nathan MacKinnon can beat an Olympic speed skater out of the blocks, I'm sure he can beat John Tavares...
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

One thing I will say to defend this data a bit is it was taken from games, not a controlled race through the neutral zone for a commercial.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

meow wrote:One thing I will say to defend this data a bit is it was taken from games, not a controlled race through the neutral zone for a commercial.
Right, so perhaps the sample size is just small. Or whatever. I don't mean to immediately deride the data, but just like the "Corsi craze" it's important to step back and digest before engaging in an analytic's version of a pie-eating contest...it's interesting, very interesting and, like I said, I hope it continues to improve...seems like we're right on the verge of some of actually interesting things coming forward in the next few years...
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

I think it's a fun chart. I'm not taking anything serious from it.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Elliotte Friedman talks about this data in his 30 thoughts today. Interesting stuff, particularly the "sustained top speed" stat.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Kessel is fast for a fat guy. Defies logic.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Yeah, Kessel is very fast. But yet looks like a slouch who wouldn't pay his child support...
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

mikey287 wrote:
meow wrote:One thing I will say to defend this data a bit is it was taken from games, not a controlled race through the neutral zone for a commercial.
Right, so perhaps the sample size is just small. Or whatever. I don't mean to immediately deride the data, but just like the "Corsi craze" it's important to step back and digest before engaging in an analytic's version of a pie-eating contest...it's interesting, very interesting and, like I said, I hope it continues to improve...seems like we're right on the verge of some of actually interesting things coming forward in the next few years...
I want to say it was only a 6 game sample. Plus, there is a difference between speed (which this thing is tracking) and playing fast.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Philadelphia Flyers ‏@NHLFlyers 2h2 hours ago
This is happening. Just a sneak peek of the #Flyers holiday campaign...
Spoiler:
Seriously!
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Fa la lol lol lol the Flyers suck
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Biz Nasty signs with the Devils....the Cardiff Devils of the EIHL
The 29-year-old enforcer was not re-signed by the Arizona Coyotes after playing 39 games for the club last season, and although he landed a tryout with the St. Louis Blues this fall, he was released without a deal.

The winger is rejoining the Devils “on a temporary basis while he still looks for opportunities in the NHL,” according to the team’s announcement Friday.

“Paul got in touch with us and explained that he had already had offers from two other teams in the Elite League, but that if he was going to come back to this league, he thought he would talk to us,” said Devils managing director Todd Kelman in a statement.

Although used sparingly with the Coyotes, Bissonnette lit up the EIHL during his brief stint two years ago, scoring 19 points in 10 games. The Devils are currently sixth in the 10-team league.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/paul ... -biznasty/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

....and he's gone
Paul Bissonnette's royal return to the United Kingdom is no longer.

The Cardiff Devils have announced that Bissonnette renounced his commitment to the EIHL club to sign an American Hockey League deal, keeping him in pursuit of an NHL return.

Here's a statement from Devils managing director Todd Kelman.

I just heard from Paul (Sunday) prior to our game and he explained that he has been offered a deal in the American Hockey League that he hopes will lead to an NHL deal later this season. I told him that I was happy for him that he is getting a chance to get back to the NHL and as much as we are disappointed, we wish him success.
http://www.thescore.com/news/614083" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's unclear which AHL club Bissonnette signed with.
Interesting that Biz wasn't advertising it on twitter.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

WBizS
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

heading back to Phoenix, or at least back to their AHL affiliate.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... 24968.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Ahah....he played in Cardiff during the lockout.
http://www.eliteleague.co.uk/biz-update-p194382" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Team Canada has presented Steve Stamkos with a championship ring from the Olympics. They probably think that's real classy, but it is in fact utterly dumb and stupid and ridiculous.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Hockey legend Gordie Howe, 86, suffered a serious stroke Sunday in Texas, and has lost some function on one side of his body and has difficulty speaking.

The Red Wings great, whom millions across North America call "Mr. Hockey," is resting at his daughter's home in Lubbock, according to his son, Dr. Murray Howe.

"Basically, sometime in the early morning on Sunday he suffered a pretty bad stroke," said Howe, who heads the department of radiology at Toledo Hospital.

"The right side of his body is very, very weak. He's unable to stand without help. He's able to speak, but very, very difficult to speak.
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports ... /18079837/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Not good.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

columbia wrote:Not good.
That is also where I would file a stroke.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

I experienced some of Gordie's gift-giving generosity when I played against him in the WHA.

He was nearing the end of his brilliant career and I was an opposing rookie in awe of one of the game's greatest legends. We were standing in the faceoff circle, lined up against one another.

"Mr. Howe," I said. "I just want you to know how much I've always admired you. I even named my dog after you."

He glanced at me. As the puck dropped, I was on the receiving end of an elbow that nearly re-arranged my face.

Next time I saw him, I said, "I'm gonna go home and strangle that dog!"

Gordie grinned. "Welcome to the pros, kid."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-stew ... 67476.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

mikey287 wrote:
Mikey, the battle's over, you lost. This summer ended it once and for all, when countless teams made hires from the ranks of bloggers and amateur stats guys (amateur in that they weren't being paid, or being paid much; many have impressive resumes and advanced degrees). Its not a "craze", its the (not very) new normal.