GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by count2infinity »

Factorial wrote:c2i, have you been to the Tröegs in Hershey? If so, what sort of takeout options on beer do they have?
I was there yesterday. The gift shop has all of their normal and seasonal beers as well as a "scratch beer" which is just a random beer they do in small batches. When we were there it was a fresh hop pale ale. The prices aren't any better than at a six pack shop or distributor. They also have growler fills and you can buy beer there as well. The food is really good. Had bone marrow as an appetizer that the 3 of us split (and by split I mean they both had some and I finished the rest). My wife had a chicken mole thing, shad had grilled cheese and tomato soup, I had a fish and potato cake sandwich. Was all good stuff.
Kraftster wrote:
count2infinity wrote:Kraftster, you may enjoy this... Troegs had 3 giant barrels (10 ft in diameter and about 20 foot tall) that they are going to use for sours. 2 of them were still in shrink wrap so it may be a while before they're bottled for sale, but still it's exciting.
That's pretty cool. I feel like a Troegs guy who was over at Mad Mex this summer mentioned that they were going to try a couple sours. Great to hear that it's really going to happen. Were they wooden barrels? "Foudres" seem to be all the rage lately for sour/wild ale aging.
yeah, here's a pic of the barrel. I'm 6'5" for reference:
Spoiler:
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I should add a couple things that I found out on the tour. They have a ton of oak casks that currently have troegenator in them. They sell it as oakenator and it typically sells out at the shop in 48 hours. They said to keep an eye on twitter and/or facebook for the release and if you want it to drive in and get some asap.

Also, in another month or so they are going to start their nugget nectar and something new this year, they are going to can it into pounders and sell them in 4 packs in addition to the bottling they normally do.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

count2infinity wrote: Also, in another month or so they are going to start their nugget nectar and something new this year, they are going to can it into pounders and sell them in 4 packs in addition to the bottling they normally do.
Looking forward to that.

Indulged in a Humboldt black xantus imperial stout last night which is an Imperial Stout infused with fair-trade, organic coffee from a local roaster, Jobella, and aged for 6 months in a combination of Bourbon, retired Firestone Union and wine barrels.

It was amazing.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Last night had Tier De Garde from Southern Tier. Belgian IPA. Easily fits in with one of the top ten beers that I have had this year.

The pour was a very nice light orange with lots of Champagne tight bubbles that formed a frothy, creamy head. The nose had a sour citrus nose followed by slight fruit. The first taste was all grapefruit sour. It took a couple sips to get the hops to really come through the sour. The overall taste balanced out from the malt which lent enough sweet to calm the grapefruit. The hops are not overpowering (not a Hop Bomb), but take a side seat to the citrus flavor.

Another excellent offering from Southern Tier.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

anyone try the sierra nevada winter pack yet? I really like the pale ale and porter, but I wish they would throw in 2 other beers. The coffee stout intrigues me and I'm impartial to the boomerang IPA. Doesn't really feel like a winter pack besides the porter and stout...
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Had an Iron Maiden Trooper beer last night. label says it's a british style beer. tasted like an ESB to me, so I guess that fits. I don't know too much about the style, every one that I've had went down smooth and this was the same.

The label is awesome
Spoiler:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Yeah, the label is significantly more awesome than the beer itself. It's a fine beer, very drinkable... but ridiculously safe.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

the wicked child wrote:Yeah, the label is significantly more awesome than the beer itself. It's a fine beer, very drinkable... but ridiculously safe.
agree. that's pretty much how I feel on the style in general. It's kind of generic. But... I'm not too familiar with it either.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

eddysnake wrote:Had an Iron Maiden Trooper beer last night. label says it's a british style beer. tasted like an ESB to me, so I guess that fits. I don't know too much about the style, every one that I've had went down smooth and this was the same.

The label is awesome
Spoiler:
4.7 ABV....the number of the beast?
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

BallastPoint Victory At Sea. 10% imperial porter. Tastes like a fresh cup of coffee, finishes very clean with a slight vanilla aftertaste.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Having ST Oatmeal Stout. Best oat stout out there, as far as I know.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I found a really nice bar out here in Joliet (near the lab I'm at for the week), I had to go back to the lab after dinner, so I only had 2 beers, but I had Off Color's Troublesome. It's a gose. It's my first experience with the style, so I have no idea if it was a good example of it, but it was a good beer (especially for being on special for $1.50 a pint. It was almost like a half sour (not too tart) and a half saison. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I also had a Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale from Boulevard Brewing Co. This was very very good. It had all those beautiful flavors I look for in a saison, but also had a decent hop aroma/flavor. I highly recommend it if anyone is ever considering it or sees it.

Like I said, I only had 2 because I had to go back to work, but just as I was finishing Tank 7, I noticed the bottle list had Delirium Tremens on it. I have wanted to try this beer for a long, long time, so I might head back to that bar this weekend and have one.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Is gose fairly new in popularity? I hadn't heard of it before a few weeks ago, but have since noticed it frequently.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

MWB wrote:Is gose fairly new in popularity? I hadn't heard of it before a few weeks ago, but have since noticed it frequently.
Not sure...this is the first i've seen it. If it is a new thing (or at least new in popularity) i'm okay with it.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I don't think it's a new thing, but it seems to be popping up more recently. I beleive I've only ever had two of them. The first I don't even remember its name because I just had a sample of it many moon ago. The other was an Anderson Valley I tried at one of the beerfests this summer... The Kimmie, The Yink & The Holy Gose. It was a bit much on the salty taste for me, but not bad. I'd certainly be willing to try more of the style.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

hmm... just looked on beer advocate and the one I had is #6 on their list of gose if you order it by Bros rating, so apparently my first try of the style was a decent one.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

the wicked child wrote:I don't think it's a new thing, but it seems to be popping up more recently. I beleive I've only ever had two of them. The first I don't even remember its name because I just had a sample of it many moon ago. The other was an Anderson Valley I tried at one of the beerfests this summer... The Kimmie, The Yink & The Holy Gose. It was a bit much on the salty taste for me, but not bad. I'd certainly be willing to try more of the style.
The Anderson Valley one is the first one I noticed recently. A bottle shop here has it on tap for growlers and was going to try it if I make it over there. The style is described as a wheat, but maybe with more with a lot of layers to it?
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

It's an out there sort of style... it's a wheat, sour, corriander, salted, medium-high carbonation style. Or at least that's what I tasted.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Maybe kinda like a Berliner Weisse + citrus + salt? It is hard to describe really... I can't say I've had anything else that tastes like it. Definitely try before you buy a growler of it.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Yeah, they let you sample before you buy, so I would. The Kimmie gets decent reviews, but definitely seems like an out there style.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

MWB wrote:Having ST Oatmeal Stout. Best oat stout out there, as far as I know.
Where did you find this? That's my personal favorite and I have no idea why they stopped brewing it.

I indulged in bell's expedition stout and clown shoes Pecan pie Porter. Bells was a little boozier than I remember, but did get better as it warmed. Clown shoes was very good.

Gearing up for Bell's winter white and Founders all day ipa after breakfast, should be an interesting day.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

I live outside of charlotte, and found it at a bottle shop here. I'm not sure what the status of the beer is. It's not listed in their rotation of beers, but it does have a page in the ST site that says it had a September release. I've heard it was discontinued, but I see it off and on.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

MWB wrote:I live outside of charlotte, and found it at a bottle shop here. I'm not sure what the status of the beer is. It's not listed in their rotation of beers, but it does have a page in the ST site that says it had a September release. I've heard it was discontinued, but I see it off and on.
Is it OAT with the horse? Brewer up there told me it was discontinued in 2013 to make room for some new stuff, but not gone forever as it was his favorite as well. I'm sure it ages nicely. Id love to come across a bottle. So good.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Yeah, the one with the horse. Just checked the bottle, and sure enough, it was bottled 9/19/12. So a couple years old.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

eddysnake wrote:
MWB wrote:Having ST Oatmeal Stout. Best oat stout out there, as far as I know.
Where did you find this? That's my personal favorite and I have no idea why they stopped brewing it.

I indulged in bell's expedition stout and clown shoes Pecan pie Porter. Bells was a little boozier than I remember, but did get better as it warmed. Clown shoes was very good.

Gearing up for Bell's winter white and Founders all day ipa after breakfast, should be an interesting day.
The expedition is definitely Better as it approached room temp