GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by Eismann »

Went to Sharp Edge downtown with a buddy.

La Trappe quad - great
Orval trappist - very interesting. Powerful floral nose, but typical great back-off for a great taste and finish
Maredsous brown - great. recommend this for those looking for a different brown.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Love me some maredsous
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Victory Festbier. Solid, not awesome.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

ulf wrote:lol I'm just messing. Budwesier used to give me headaches for whatever reason but that's it, and I drink heavier stuff than that.
I run into the same thing with Budweiser. It's so bad that I would get headaches before even finishing a full bottle.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

The first time I ever got sick from drinking, Budweiser was at fault. Even back then, my body was rejecting it.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

God was telling us to drink better beer.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

the wicked child wrote:The first time I ever got sick from drinking, tequila was at fault. Even back then, my body was rejecting it.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

eddysnake wrote:problem somewhat solved. split a case of expedition and Founders Breakfast with my brother. Now to scout out the mix n match 6 pack section again to see if I can pick up more sixers of Founders Imperial Stouts for $12. I always feel guilty about doing that, but if they have them in there, they are asking for it.
Eddy did you see that Sierra Nevada Snowpack variety? Hope you can find it...bear in mind, Sierra Nevada's variety offerings typically retail for $32-$34 (at most) for a case. That is an absurdly good price performer for great beer.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by tjand72 »

Got a case of almost/definitely past suggested resale date Steelhead Porter for $15 on a whim. Good roll of the dice. The stout is good, and so is the porter.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Had deschutes fresh squeezed ipa. Wow. I am in love with this beer. It's got all those citrusy fruity goodness of hops and not a ton of the piney, resiny sort of flavors. Usually I prefer the latter but every once in a while a beer like this reminds me the other side of hop flavora are good too.

Heading to troegs today for a tour, tasting, and lunch. I'm very excited about it.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Eismann wrote:Went to Sharp Edge downtown with a buddy.

La Trappe quad - great
Orval trappist - very interesting. Powerful floral nose, but typical great back-off for a great taste and finish
Maredsous brown - great. recommend this for those looking for a different brown.
There's hope for you yet. Orval is very close to some saisons.

Was it on draft? I've never had it that way.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I picked up Game of Thrones: Valar Morghulis for the game tonight.
Has anyone tried it?

And for you commodity beer drinkers: Do you bother to buy anything less than a 30 pack? I mean, I'm going to drink it relatively quickly, so why not go for the better deal? And if I don't, I suppose I could "age" some High-Life. I bet that would be pretty special.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

If there's a case available, I buy the case every time.

...unless it's something new that I might not like
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Kraftster wrote:

La Trappe quad - great

No, just bottle. I really should try some saisons. I know you've suggested plenty before, but can you give me a couple starters?
Last edited by Eismann on Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

columbia wrote:I picked up Game of Thrones: Valar Morghulis for the game tonight.
Has anyone tried it?
the wicked child wrote:Valar Morghulis was pretty good. It was definitely better than Fire and Blood. I never had Iron Throne Ale or Taking the Black Stout, so can't compare it to those.

It won't make you forget the best Belgian dubbels of course, but it is very drinkable. Very smooth.
slappybrown wrote:
the wicked child wrote:I will be pouring the Valar Morghulis soon.

I had this on tap about a week ago (ABOUT A WEEK AGO) and though it was solid but not exceptional
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

columbia wrote:I picked up Game of Thrones: Valar Morghulis for the game tonight.
Has anyone tried it?
This - like all of their offerings - is a high quality beer. Nothing AMAZINGINGING OMG, but very enjoyable.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Drinking my bomber of Warlock tonight. Man this is good stuff. Roasted peanuts, chocolate and pumpkin. More of a dessert beer for me, but I'm calling it: this is my new favorite pumpkin beer.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Went to Troegs today with c2i and his missus. Had their Master of pumpkins on tap. One of my favorite pumpkin beers
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

So you're staying with a buddy tonight?
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

columbia wrote:So you're staying with a buddy tonight?
Nah had one beer and drove home with my daughter :)
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

As long as you were both vaccinated.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Kraftster, you may enjoy this... Troegs had 3 giant barrels (10 ft in diameter and about 20 foot tall) that they are going to use for sours. 2 of them were still in shrink wrap so it may be a while before they're bottled for sale, but still it's exciting.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

c2i, have you been to the Tröegs in Hershey? If so, what sort of takeout options on beer do they have?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Eismann wrote:
Kraftster wrote:

La Trappe quad - great

No, just bottle. I really should try some saisons. I know you've suggested plenty before, but can you give me a couple starters?
Hmm. I wouldn't recommend Brooklyn Sorachi Ace to you. That one might turn you off given your aversion to hops.

I feel like Orval has some fruity esters. Is that right? Trying to build off of Orval, I might suggest Northcoast Le Merle. Randy used to carry this, but I'm not sure if it's there anymore. Southern Tier Sonnet would do the trick. I know that one's been over there as of a week or two ago. If we happen to get Draai Laag Geestelijke over there, that would be in the same vein.

Ommegang Hennepin would be a decent option, but I'd probably rather see you go with the classic Saison Dupont than Hennepin. It might challenge you a little in that the funk will hit you in a similar place on the tongue as hops, but it's not necessarily bitter like hops. What you'll get is a solid bready malt backbone with funk and phenols/black pepper. The funk is going to give you like a wet straw type of flavor and the phenols are where you get what hits me as wet bandaid, which despite how it might sound is a really nice "spiciness" type of flavor. For how it sounds, the body is fuller than you'd expect. It'll finish very dry, though.

Note: if you go for the Saison Dupont, avoid the Saison Dupont Cuvee Dry Hopping 2014 that they have over there at the Shaler GE. Those are old bottles and that changes the flavor in a way that I don't think would be a good way to start.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

count2infinity wrote:Kraftster, you may enjoy this... Troegs had 3 giant barrels (10 ft in diameter and about 20 foot tall) that they are going to use for sours. 2 of them were still in shrink wrap so it may be a while before they're bottled for sale, but still it's exciting.
That's pretty cool. I feel like a Troegs guy who was over at Mad Mex this summer mentioned that they were going to try a couple sours. Great to hear that it's really going to happen. Were they wooden barrels? "Foudres" seem to be all the rage lately for sour/wild ale aging.