LGP Science Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: LGP Science Thread

Post by PensFanInDC »

I think planets should get a full orbit after being named before another decision is made
Ad@m
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ad@m »

PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

I'm hoping it clears up so I can see it. Should be pretty cool
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Grunthy »

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/lockheed-mart ... 1646578094" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

if this system works, this would be huge for the world.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

We're going need a bigger grid.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

Grunthy wrote:http://sploid.gizmodo.com/lockheed-mart ... 1646578094

if this system works, this would be huge for the world.
:fist:

This would be amazing if it comes to fruition. What it could do for the world would be incredible. Easily provide reliable power for for all those out of the way places in the world. Though I wouldn't count on the oil, gas or coal companies being happy about it
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/keith-m-p ... 78360.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by obhave »

Scary, isn't it?
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

obhave wrote:
Scary, isn't it?
That people still believe GLOBALWARMING-WHOOPS-CLIMATE CHANGE isn't a political tool based on biased opinions and not conclusive concensus? Totally.

That article is also way too jaded in general. Look at all the -gasp- progress in tech and nutrition and other industries. It's great, and we should keep encouraging more.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by obhave »

I work in the science industry and know full well that industry can push science way forward. I don't think that's what the article is getting at. What I got from it is that the distrust in science (which is definitely a real thing in this country) can be tracked back to big money lobbying and big money propognda.

In terms of climate change, I'm not going to go into the science concensious again on this site. I have expressed concern over the politicisation of science, and fears about it being a political tool. Because then it ends up with half the country disagreeing and distrusting based on political party.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

obhave wrote:In terms of climate change, I'm not going to go into the science concensious again on this site. I have expressed concern over the politicisation of science, and fears about it being a political tool. Because then it ends up with half the country disagreeing and distrusting based on political party.
I distrust both political parties, so either of them advancing science as a political agenda immediately leads me to distrust it. I would distrust the scientific basis of a politician who told me the Earth revolves around the Sun.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Tomas »

Graph Theory FTW!! Always wanted to do this. Science... 8-) 8-) 8-)

http://phys.org/news/2014-10-highly-ceo ... tions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

Do you know which specific measure of centrality is used in the paper? Just curious.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Tomas »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:Do you know which specific measure of centrality is used in the paper? Just curious.
Well, given that the article talks about my paper (hence the "i am so cool" emoticon), I really should know. :)

We used closeness, betweenness, degree, and eigenvector centrality. All 4 typically turned highly significant. We also studied the impact of the first principal component of those 4 variables , as well as the orthogonal transformation of the centralities.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

Apologies, clicked the link without reading the post beforehand. Graph theory is a really powerful tool and I'm glad this type of SNA is continuing to make a meaningful impact in the fields of finance and economics. Congratulations on the paper :thumb:
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Tomas »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:Apologies, clicked the link without reading the post beforehand. Graph theory is a really powerful tool and I'm glad this type of SNA is continuing to make a meaningful impact in the fields of finance and economics. Congratulations on the paper :thumb:
Thanks! This lady from a hospital(?!) magazine summarized the networks research the best so far. She even asked me about definitions of centrality determinants!

http://www.beckershospitalreview.com/he ... ation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SubtropicalPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by SubtropicalPenguin »

This has not really received much press here in the States, but it is a very encouraging step forward in paralysis research. Basically, by transplanting olfactory cells onto a graft and into a severed spine, a paralyzed man has now regained many functions, including the ability to walk (with the assistance of a frame). Hopefully further trials prove successful.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-29645760
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

this is totally awesome
The European Space Agency's Rosetta spacecraft is currently orbiting Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko while speeding through deep space. If successful, the landing will mark the first time humans have soft-landed a probe on a comet. Rosetta is due to release the Philae lander down to the comet's surface on Wednesday, and three different space-focused organizations will host Rosetta webcasts tonight and into tomorrow. You can watch the Philae landing webcasts live on Space.com.

After touchdown, Philae will deploy a harpoon that will keep it in place in Comet 67P/C-G's low gravity. ESA officials will use Philae to take measurements and snap photos on the comet. This will help gather more information about this mysterious type of cosmic body, a leftover from the dawn of the solar system.
http://www.space.com/27720-rosetta-come ... casts.html
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

First picture sent back from Philae:
Spoiler:
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

So how big is that comet? I thought I heard it was small like the size of a rubber ducky.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

And now I see the Xenomorph and I'm all like :face: and stuff

I thought it was just part of the lander lol
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

guess I should have put this in here

the lander landed, harpoons didn't shoot and they think it lifted off the crater and landed again. pictures are coming soon from the surface. It is now behind the horizon so they lost radio contact and probably won't know much until tomorrow. They've already gathered a lot of data from the lander.

I believe its 2.5 miles wide
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

PensFanInDC wrote:And now I see the Xenomorph and I'm all like :face: and stuff

I thought it was just part of the lander lol
I am physically incapable of not referencing Alien at least once a day. Today, it was in the name of Science.

*bows graciously*
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

The Oatmeal has been on a roll the past several days. (Matt was source of the 'picture' I posted above)

He just updloaded this comic:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Some additional perspective on the comet: What it looks like in relation to Los Angeles

It is a little less than half the size of the asteroid that hit what is today the Yucatán peninsula and killed all the T. rexes.