GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by eddysnake »

Founders Breakfast Stout. Man does founders know how to make a good stout. This is one of the best stouts ever.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

eddysnake wrote:Founders Breakfast Stout. Man does founders know how to make a good stout. This is one of the best stouts ever.
I had some last week. Love it!

Randy at my Market District said it ages well, and the coffee flavor becomes more pronounced with aging.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

llipgh2 wrote:
eddysnake wrote:Founders Breakfast Stout. Man does founders know how to make a good stout. This is one of the best stouts ever.

Randy at my Market District said it ages well, and the coffee flavor
becomes more pronounced with aging.
:sadface.cry:
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

llipgh2 wrote:

Randy at my Market District said it ages well, and the coffee flavor becomes more pronounced with aging.
I found one in my fridge last night and it was from over a year ago. It was superb. I always thought the coffee flavor would lessen over time. I reserved a case for this year, so I look forward to comparing the 2.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

i have 10 or so saint bernardus xmas ales leftover from last year. i had one last week. a year in a basement does wonders for that beer. so good.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I had last year's great lakes christmas ale in my beer fridge since last year. I was not a fan at all (which is why it's still there). Out of curiosity the other day I cracked one open. It's actually not too shabby now. I'd even go so far as to say it's quite enjoyable after some resting time.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

count2infinity wrote:I had last year's great lakes christmas ale in my beer fridge since last year. I was not a fan at all (which is why it's still there). Out of curiosity the other day I cracked one open. It's actually not too shabby now. I'd even go so far as to say it's quite enjoyable after some resting time.
maybe there's something too it with these spiced beers. the flavors get to marry a little better with time.

the st bernardus one though...a lot of it is simply taking some of the alcohol heat away. it's a 12 percenter. it can be a bit much.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

shmenguin wrote:i have 10 or so saint bernardus xmas ales leftover from last year. i had one last week. a year in a basement does wonders for that beer. so good.
I'm not crazy about Xmas brews or quads in general, but I love this one. It's an amazingly good beer
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

shmenguin wrote:
count2infinity wrote:I had last year's great lakes christmas ale in my beer fridge since last year. I was not a fan at all (which is why it's still there). Out of curiosity the other day I cracked one open. It's actually not too shabby now. I'd even go so far as to say it's quite enjoyable after some resting time.
maybe there's something too it with these spiced beers. the flavors get to marry a little better with time.

the st bernardus one though...a lot of it is simply taking some of the alcohol heat away. it's a 12 percenter. it can be a bit much.
honestly, I hated my pumpkin spiced beer I made when it was young. Let it age a month or so and the flavors certainly mellowed and became what I wanted. It may not even require a full year to let it chill out, maybe a month or two is good enough. Now for the alcohol burn, yes... longer the age, the more mellow it becomes.
UVM2003
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by UVM2003 »

llipgh2 wrote:

Respect randy as I do a it's actually the exact opposite. Coffee in any beer fades with age.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Yeah, the longer a beer ages, the more you're going to just get that malt backbone over anything else. Coffee, just like hops will fade with time.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Wonder what the time frame for the coffee taste to fade is? I guess I will look at this as motivation to open the speedway and black xantus stout that's sitting in me fridge.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

This years 120 minute just showed up at my local bottle shop. Might go get a few.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

I will be pouring the Valar Morghulis soon.

columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

La Fin Du Monde for $7.89?
Sure.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Grabbed a Rogue Chocolate Stout tonight....forgot how good this beer was.

Tomorrow, after making a trip to the apple orchard in Delaware County, heading down to Total Wine and More across the Delaware line for the first time. Can't wait.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I heart Total Wine.

REALLY good deals on legit quality French (and others, I'm sure) wine there.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Abt 12 and Westmalle dubbel tonight.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Breakfast stout again, this time bottled 2 weeks ago. Definitely more of a coffee smell to it then the year old one I had last night, but the coffee taste was very similar. I was expecting it to be more pronounced. Perfect beer.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Draai Laag Geestelijke. Legit saison. Way to go, Millvale.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Valar Morghulis was pretty good. It was definitely better than Fire and Blood. I never had Iron Throne Ale or Taking the Black Stout, so can't compare it to those.

It won't make you forget the best Belgian dubbels of course, but it is very drinkable. Very smooth.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Having a Gavroche from Brasserie de Saint Sylvestre, a "French red ale," according to the label. Lots of carbonation, nice caramel flavor, and a tiny hoppiness to it. I like it.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

columbia wrote:I heart Total Wine.

REALLY good deals on legit quality French (and others, I'm sure) wine there.
Oh my God, this place was amazing. Seriously, amazing. I could have wandered around for hours, but we had a tired daughter (who was a trooper) and didn't want to keep her out too long. The beer selection is fantastic, and of course the wine/liquor selection is endless. And no sales tax, of course :)
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

the wicked child wrote:I will be pouring the Valar Morghulis soon.

I had this on tap about a week ago (ABOUT A WEEK AGO) and though it was solid but not exceptional
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Tried 3 beers tonight...

Harpoon Pumpkin UFO - was ok. I enjoyed it less as it went on. Initially the spices/flavor was there, but seemed to fall flat the more I drank. Not bad, but there are better out there.
Great Lakes Nosferatu - was looking forward to this, but it didn't work for me. Maybe I just don't like red ales?
Dogfish Head Punkin Ale - Decent. Nothing earth shattering, but it's a solid pumpkin ale.

Uinta Punk'n Ale is still my favorite pumpkin beer at this point. I still have a bomber of Warlock to get to, so we'll see how I feel about that. I had a sample last weekend and loved it, but the 22oz will tell the tale.