Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Post by viva la ben »

I think the stance is that everyone but Joe Paterno is guilty of something.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Troy Loney wrote:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Child Psychologist Who First Reported Sandusky Abuse Accuses PA Officials of ‘Whitewash’

http://m.cnsnews.com/news/article/barba ... accuses-pa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So is it your stance that the state is throwing PSU under the bus and blaming it all on them?
I thought it was an interesting article. There is some validity regarding the extent the state has gone after those involved with the Second Mile. These were individuals who worked closely with Sandusky as he did his charity work, and most of the abuse allegations took place under Second Mile supervision. State agencies such as the Department of Child and Youth Services and the Department of Public Welfare were in charge of monitoring the Second Mile and obviously failed in that aspect. I feel that they should share in the blame at the least or even accept more of the blame considering they were supposedly trained to detect child predators whereas the PSU administrators and Paterno were not.

Those on the Board of the Second Mile were also much more powerful and connected than Paterno and have donated extensively to Corbett's campaign. Some of those individuals have connections to those on the PSU Board of Trustees who oversaw the firings of Paterno and Spanier. It also has come to light that Corbett recommended Louis Freeh to be the special investigator, and he assigned Ron Tomalis to the PSU trustee group that supervised Freeh. Tomalis, if you recall, recently resigned under allegations that he was a ghost employee, and had been appointed to a cushy job by Corbett to essentially do nothing. This might all be coincidental but to me it seems more than that.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Didn't the Second Mile fold after this? I'm not sure they can go after any individual because they can hide behind the organization. The NCAA can't impose sanctions on them, so i'm not sure what punishment aspect you are thinking. If your talking about the court of public opinion? I would think most people think of the Second Mile as a child sex trafficing organization, so i'm not sure they can be looked at worse.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Troy Loney wrote:Didn't the Second Mile fold after this? I'm not sure they can go after any individual because they can hide behind the organization. The NCAA can't impose sanctions on them, so i'm not sure what punishment aspect you are thinking. If your talking about the court of public opinion? I would think most people think of the Second Mile as a child sex trafficing organization, so i'm not sure they can be looked at worse.
I'm talking solely about criminal investigations and the how the state focused mostly on PSU and did little to investigate the Second Mile during the Sandusky investigation.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Some of the fall out from the Sandusky scandal has been a movement to restructure the Board of Trustees. This opinion piece gives a nice summary of how a good portion of the alumni (at least those that vote in the trustee elections) feel.

http://onwardstate.com/2014/09/18/penn- ... overnance/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The biggest point from this is issue of whether the B&I trustees are legitimate. Two of the B&I trustees, Karen Peetz (CEO of Bank of NY Mellon) and Ken Frazier (CEO of Merk) we're instrumental in the firing of Paterno and the adoption of the Freeh report.

The B&I faction pretty much controls the Board and all of the committees as well. The reorganization plan that was approved today by the committee to be discussed and voted on later, pretty much keeps the Board as is but removes voting power from officials appointed by the state and adds a rep for the faculty, students, and the past president of the Alumni Association. No reductions were made to the Alumni, agriculture, or B&I trustees.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Penn State Trustees May Have Broken Law with Recommendation

http://onwardstate.com/2014/09/18/yudic ... mendation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Article providing a summary of the proposed changes:

http://pennstatermag.com/2014/09/18/a-b ... -trustees/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Validity of consent decree questioned with judge’s ruling in Corman suit

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/2014/10/03/4 ... rylink=cpy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Validity of consent decree questioned with judge’s ruling in Corman suit

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/2014/10/03/4 ... rylink=cpy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I saw this on Friday. NCAA basically got smacked down by the Judge, for usurping the court's role by the NCAA self-declaring the consent decree to be valid when the court had already ordered it to be decided at trial.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Judge denies NCAA, Penn State gag order, seeks deposition from Emmert

http://www.centredaily.com/2014/10/16/4 ... order.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

What are the legal grounds for forcing these NCAA fines to be spent only in Pennsylvania? I've never heard of demanding that paid fines be spent in a certain way.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Factorial wrote:What are the legal grounds for forcing these NCAA fines to be spent only in Pennsylvania? I've never heard of demanding that paid fines be spent in a certain way.
I could be wrong, but the money is fined on a "public institution". So since the money could be coming from state money, the money should stay in the state.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

count2infinity wrote:
Factorial wrote:What are the legal grounds for forcing these NCAA fines to be spent only in Pennsylvania? I've never heard of demanding that paid fines be spent in a certain way.
I could be wrong, but the money is fined on a "public institution". So since the money could be coming from state money, the money should stay in the state.
I understand why they want it to stay in the state but are there legal grounds for demanding that it stay in the state? Just seems kind of strange to me. Is there a precedent for this in other fines levied by the NCAA on other public universities?
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

given that the NCAA handed down unprecedented fines on PSU, I'd say no... there is no precedent. :lol:
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Factorial wrote:
count2infinity wrote:
I understand why they want it to stay in the state but are there legal grounds for demanding that it stay in the state? Just seems kind of strange to me. Is there a precedent for this in other fines levied by the NCAA on other public universities?
Legal grounds in short: a state law was passed that requires it to be spent in state. Whether the law is an unconstitutional (as ex post facto or a bill of attainder) is a matter that the NCAA has sought to be decided in a Federal court, which they've made a renewed quest in, even after they had agreed to not fight the Corman/McCord attempt to enforce the state law. The law was crafted to apply to an undefined class of very limited parameters - public institution fined more than $10M. I think they get around ex post facto in that the law was passed before the first fine payment was made by PSU.

(Speaking of those fine payments already made.... wonder who is collecting interest on that money...

Saw another story yesterday about C/S/S having their motion for discovery of OAG emails denied, based on the OAG's representation that there were only 3 emails recovered that were related among the 20M recovered, and that they had already turned those over. And still, C/S/S do not have trial dates set. It baffles me that they rushed through Sandusky's trial in just over 6 months from presentment but we're almost three years from that point for Curley and Schultz and it doesn't look like we will see trials anytime soon. The cliché justice delayed is justice denied comes to mind.

(The other angle is the recent email scandal across the OAG's office - including Fina, Noonan, Feathers and others, even judges. Whether any of that plays over into C/S/S remains to be seen but it certainly isn't helping the state's reputation any.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Factorial wrote:
count2infinity wrote:
Legal grounds in short: a state law was passed that requires it to be spent in state. Whether the law is an unconstitutional (as ex post facto or a bill of attainder) is a matter that the NCAA has sought to be decided in a Federal court, which they've made a renewed quest in, even after they had agreed to not fight the Corman/McCord attempt to enforce the state law. The law was crafted to apply to an undefined class of very limited parameters - public institution fined more than $10M. I think they get around ex post facto in that the law was passed before the first fine payment was made by PSU.

(Speaking of those fine payments already made.... wonder who is collecting interest on that money...

Saw another story yesterday about C/S/S having their motion for discovery of OAG emails denied, based on the OAG's representation that there were only 3 emails recovered that were related among the 20M recovered, and that they had already turned those over. And still, C/S/S do not have trial dates set. It baffles me that they rushed through Sandusky's trial in just over 6 months from presentment but we're almost three years from that point for Curley and Schultz and it doesn't look like we will see trials anytime soon. The cliché justice delayed is justice denied comes to mind.

(The other angle is the recent email scandal across the OAG's office - including Fina, Noonan, Feathers and others, even judges. Whether any of that plays over into C/S/S remains to be seen but it certainly isn't helping the state's reputation any.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

So they passed the law AFTER the fine? As a Pennsylvanian I'd like to see that money stay in the state but come on that's just :face:.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Factorial wrote:So they passed the law AFTER the fine? As a Pennsylvanian I'd like to see that money stay in the state but come on that's just :face:.
Yes, the law was passed and signed such that its effective date was before the fine, but it was most certainly crafted after the sanctions were handed down.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

The constitutional prohibition on ex post facto laws applies to criminal laws and punishments, not civil laws or penalties. Non-criminal laws may be retroactive.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Shyster wrote:The constitutional prohibition on ex post facto laws applies to criminal laws and punishments, not civil laws or penalties. Non-criminal laws may be retroactive.
Probably the most notable retroactive law was the 1993 Federal tax increase, which became effective 1/1/1993 despite being enacted much later in the year.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

@Zigmanfreud: Earlier today, Bob Costas continued to join ranks of supposedly "crazy" people who think Paterno/PSU were railroaded: http://t.co/7CWyZEtpbA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Board of Trustees to Hold Special Meeting on Freeh Report

http://onwardstate.com/2014/10/20/board ... _id=178537" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Board of Trustees to Hold Special Meeting on Freeh Report

http://onwardstate.com/2014/10/20/board ... _id=178537" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They'll probably still find a way to vote it down.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Everybody's fault but Joe's. :thumb:
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Chris Matthews defends Paterno

http://onwardstate.com/2014/10/22/chris ... -i-guess/k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;