GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by PensFanInDC »

8% cider? WANT! My only grip was the low ABV of the cider. Then again, at 5% it was probably for the best.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Considering how ancient hard cider is, you'd think that there would be some obviously good choices on the market.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I put brown sugar in the cider i have fermenting right now. Should boost the alcohol up to about 8%. If I hadn't added the sugar and everything goes to plan, It would have been 4.5-5%
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

place down the road from my old place was doing dollar beers tonight. I was drinking some sort of lemon beer that was $1 for a pint., even if it was only 2.5% per beer.

Still, not a bad deal.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Was it Amstel Radler?

Erdinger Weiss is pretty good, and I'm sure I've mentioned the positives of Black Butt(e). Had it on tap.for the first time, even better than it was out of bottle.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

I washed some mickeys grenades down with some milwaukeee special deserve. Whatever
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Why is Guinness selling an American Lager?
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

columbia wrote:Why is Guinness selling an American Lager?
Because they're now the Budweiser of Europe.

Snobbish, yes, but Guinness no longer is palatable to me, given all theother choices now readily available.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

Eismann wrote:

Snobbish, yes, but Guinness no longer is palatable to me, given all theother choices now readily available.
Agreed, I'll drink Guinness if I'm out and there's nothing else available. Occasionally people will comment about how thick and heavy it is, I just usually say not really and that's it's a good beginners stout
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Yeah, Guinness is a very blah beer.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

I still enjoy it. Only have it a few times a year at this point but still good stuff.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Drake's, Barrel House Rock. Flanders aged 1 year in a Wente wine barrel. Does it taste so perfect about right now? Yes. Yes, it does. Next: Bourbon Drakonic. Imperial Stout with 6 months of bourbon barrel love in age.

Cheers.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

slappybrown wrote:I still enjoy it. Only have it a few times a year at this point but still good stuff.

It;s an enjoyable beer, which is available just about everywhere.
You could do a lot worse, when buying beer at a gas station or whatever.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Depends on which state the gas station is in...

Found Wells Banana Bread on tap for the 1st time. So much better than the bottle version, and the bottle version is also pretty damn good.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

That's true....you can't do that in PA.

I can go to one about 5 blocks from my house, which carries 3-4 of the Belgian offerings from Goose Island.
Capitalism is a good thing.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Yeah, the one next to my apartment complex in Ohio had a fairly decent selection. Had a few Oskar Blues to choose from and a few local Ohio brews, amongst other things. They had Guinness with the cheaper stuff.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I started drinking beer when I was ~ 15 and - trust me - the presence of Guinness was greatly appreciated.

With the explosion of micro brews and availability of genuinely good imported beers (aka not Moosehead, Moulson, Labbatts and Heieken), us older beer drinkers definitely appreciate both the expanded market and some of the old and quality classics, amidst a sea of Strohs, Iron, Bush, Miller, Bud and Old Milwaukee, which were generally the only things around.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

BigMcK wrote:Drake's, Barrel House Rock. Flanders aged 1 year in a Wente wine barrel. Does it taste so perfect about right now? Yes. Yes, it does. Next: Bourbon Drakonic. Imperial Stout with 6 months of bourbon barrel love in age.

Cheers.
Cheers indeed, do they bottle the bourbon drakonic? And please update with how good?
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

eddysnake wrote:
BigMcK wrote:Drake's, Barrel House Rock. Flanders aged 1 year in a Wente wine barrel. Does it taste so perfect about right now? Yes. Yes, it does. Next: Bourbon Drakonic. Imperial Stout with 6 months of bourbon barrel love in age.

Cheers.
eers indeed, do they bottle the bourbon drakonic? And please update with how good?

Not bottled. The pending flavor of bourbon gets your attention really quick from the nose. Heavy beer. Thick, dark and a huge texture. The alcohol has a slight burn on the finish.
Last edited by BigMcK on Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

BigMcK wrote:
eddysnake wrote:

Cheers.
Not bottled. The pending flavor of bourbon gets your attention really quick from the nose. Heavy beer. Thick, dark and a huge texture. The alcohol has a slight burn on the finish.

Cheers indeed, do they bottle the bourbon drakonic? And please update with how good?
Is Drakes a big brewery?
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by BigMcK »

eddysnake wrote:
BigMcK wrote:
eddysnake wrote:

Cheers.

Is Drakes a big brewery?
in scale: Stone. Next, Lagunitas, Sierra Nevada. Next, Drakes, Bruery, Green Flash, Hangar 24. Next, Anderson Valley, Bootleggers, Anchor Steam, Ale Smith, Russian River.

From visits and grain silo size. Not official.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

stopper40 wrote:
Eismann wrote:

Agreed, I'll drink Guinness if I'm out and there's nothing else available. Occasionally people will comment about how thick and heavy it is, I just usually say not really and that's it's a good beginners stout
The other problem with getting out in a bar or at someone else's house is that the US version is thinner and usually cold. I did enjoy it better in UK at a reasonable temp.

I also haven't made a black & tan in a long while with Guinness/Bass, which was quite enjoyable to both make and drink.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Pretty good introduction to sours article here:

http://www.marthastewart.com/1086810/so ... nkers-love" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

MRandall25 wrote:Was it Amstel Radler?
It might have been Amstel Radler. Radler sounds familiar but I didn't think it was Amstel.

I have it in my untapped. Once my phone charges, I'll have to look it up.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Kraftster wrote:Pretty good introduction to sours article here:

http://www.marthastewart.com/1086810/so ... nkers-love" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks. This seems like a simple summary that someone like me needs.