TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: TV Shows

Post by relantel »

I've seen enough promos lately on Hulu for Starz' The Affair. Looks intriguing.

also... did anyone see the second ep of Gracepoint? We decided to shift to watching this on Hulu for a week or two to try and give it a chance. Was the 2nd one still in-line with Broadchurch #2?
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Last night's Blacklist was my least favorite, but was still good.

Setting up even more questions without answering any of the lingering questions. Please don't go down the "LOST" rabbit hole of asking a ton of questions and only answering a handful.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

How was this weeks Gotham. I didn't see it yet, but heard the reviews were bad and the ratings are declining. I'm guessing this show doesn't last past this season. It's a shame. So much promise.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

newarenanow wrote:How was this weeks Gotham. I didn't see it yet, but heard the reviews were bad and the ratings are declining. I'm guessing this show doesn't last past this season. It's a shame. So much promise.
That I don't know. I watched the first three on Hulu last week and thought it good. Haven't found time for last night yet.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

newarenanow wrote:How was this weeks Gotham. I didn't see it yet, but heard the reviews were bad and the ratings are declining. I'm guessing this show doesn't last past this season. It's a shame. So much promise.
More of the same. As you said, it's a shame. There's some strong acting, especially from Ben McKenzie (Jim Gordon), David Mazouz (Bruce Wayne), and Robin Lord Taylor (Oswald Cobblepot), but the writing is just so weak. I mean, no show comes without blemishes - Arrow was almost unbearable to watch for the first 7 or 8 episodes - but usually there's a little glimmer of hope to cling to.

It's like they're trying to hard to make the obvious Batman connections for people rather than just letting the storyline develop on its own.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Arrow season premiere:
Spoiler:
I watched the Arrow season premiere and was slightly confused with the Barry appearance. I couldn't remember the prior thing they were referring to. Then I read somewhere (probably this thread TBH) of a crossover between Arrow and The Flash. So I started that, and a minute in it seemed the answer was there. But I got no further as Walking Dead/TD beckoned, and last night Sleepy Hollow and part of Castle. Is the whole pilot worth watching, and should I watch in aired order going forward to avoid spoilers?
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

relantel wrote:Arrow season premiere:
Spoiler:
I watched the Arrow season premiere and was slightly confused with the Barry appearance. I couldn't remember the prior thing they were referring to. Then I read somewhere (probably this thread TBH) of a crossover between Arrow and The Flash. So I started that, and a minute in it seemed the answer was there. But I got no further as Walking Dead/TD beckoned, and last night Sleepy Hollow and part of Castle. Is the whole pilot worth watching, and should I watch in aired order going forward to avoid spoilers?
Spoiler:
In the premiere of The Flash last Tuesday, Barry goes to Oliver for advice after discovering his new powers. It shows him running, coming to a stop by a sign that says "Starling City - X Miles", then he's talking to Oliver (in his Arrow attire). When Barry appears in Arrow, he's calling Oliver asking for help. This fills in the time immediately before their meet up in The Flash.

There are supposed to be 3 crossover "events" planned for this season, with one big event spanning an episode of each show. I'm really hoping those cameos don't count as crossovers lol
For anyone who hasn't seen Arrow, I highly recommend it. You will want to stop watching early in season 1 - it gets pretty bad - but stick with it. The show really hits its stride about half way through the first season. I also recommend Hannibal - Hugh Dancy and Mads Mikkelson are simply phenomenal in it!
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

frizz wrote: For anyone who hasn't seen Arrow, I highly recommend it. You will want to stop watching early in season 1 - it gets pretty bad - but stick with it. The show really hits its stride about half way through the first season. I also recommend Hannibal - Hugh Dancy and Mads Mikkelson are simply phenomenal in it!
I just started Arrow and am about 5-6 episodes in. It's been OK, but kind of feels like a second-rate Batman at this point. I will stick it out, though.

Hannibal is (I think) the only other non-cable show that I watch regularly. It has such a unique, surrealist visual style, and the acting of the leads is fantastic.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

blackjack68 wrote:Last night's Blacklist was my least favorite, but was still good.

Setting up even more questions without answering any of the lingering questions. Please don't go down the "LOST" rabbit hole of asking a ton of questions and only answering a handful.
agreed. I felt like the Blacklister was really just filler for Red to deal with Mary-Louise Parker and her new husband though I did enjoy seeing Agent Keen once again use her thievery skills that we have yet to find out how she obtained.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Ugh. Struggling to catch up on my DVR already and added 3 more hour long shows to the queue last night (Sons of Anarchy, Person of Interest [now 3 episodes behind on that] and Chopped). Still haven't gotten to The Walking Dead, and this doesn't even account for the 2 episodes of Boardwalk Empire I have to catch on Demand. Going to need to stock the fridge and do some work this weekend.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

blackjack68 wrote:Last night's Blacklist was my least favorite, but was still good.

But Pee Wee was great, even for as small as his role was
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

stopper40 wrote:

But Pee Wee was great, even for as small as his role was
How dare you leave your dog alone all day without food an water! He's relieved himself in the house twice! :lol:

Totally caught up as of last night and I don't think they are going "LOST" on us. They have already revealed more information than the entire LOST series did. There is enough interesting serial material to keep me engaged. Last night's episode had very little continuing story line compared to other episodes and I thought it was fantastic.

I think they had no idea how well the show was going to do (duh). Now that it is really popular they know they have to drag out the mystery of the Red/Lizzy relationship a little more to make it last.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

tfrizz wrote:
More of the same. As you said, it's a shame. There's some strong acting, especially from Ben McKenzie (Jim Gordon), David Mazouz (Bruce Wayne), and Robin Lord Taylor (Oswald Cobblepot), but the writing is just so weak. I mean, no show comes without blemishes - Arrow was almost unbearable to watch for the first 7 or 8 episodes - but usually there's a little glimmer of hope to cling to.

It's like they're trying to hard to make the obvious Batman connections for people rather than just letting the storyline develop on its own.
Pretty much this. Hopefully the early episodes don't chase away too many viewers and they correct some of the writing. I agree with you, I think outside of a handful of people, the acting, setting, and overall story line is great. They just have so many stupid things due to writing or forcing things in there that just make you cringe.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

for as much as i hate it, im still watching Gotham. I want to like it. I really do. Why couldnt Netflix have done this series? it would be great.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

canaan wrote:for as much as i hate it, im still watching Gotham. I want to like it. I really do. Why couldnt Netflix have done this series? it would be great.
I'm excited to see what they do with Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Last night we finished Castle - trying at times but funny at times.

New girl - may have been the best ep of the show to date. Downright hilarious.

Mindy - It was ok to me, but my wife loved it. Featured Shonda Rimes as a guest star.

Chicago Fire - very good ep. Not as dramatic as last week.

The Flash - I watched the pilot to that this morning. I thought it was very strong. And made the Arrow premiere make a little more sense. Though the casting of Jesse L Martin alone was enough to make me give it a look. And it was good enough I added it to my DVR queue.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

relantel wrote:Last night we finished Castle - trying at times but funny at times.

New girl - may have been the best ep of the show to date. Downright hilarious.

Mindy - It was ok to me, but my wife loved it. Featured Shonda Rimes as a guest star.

Chicago Fire - very good ep. Not as dramatic as last week.

The Flash - I watched the pilot to that this morning. I thought it was very strong. And made the Arrow premiere make a little more sense. Though the casting of Jesse L Martin alone was enough to make me give it a look. And it was good enough I added it to my DVR queue.
He's easily my favourite character on the show thus far. I had high expectations for The Flash given that it was a direct spin-off of Arrow with basically the same creators/showrunners/writers, and it's doing a pretty good job of living up to those expectations.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I feel like martin would have been a great choice for crispus allen in gotham. Not the character they have on the show, but the guy in the comics recently before they took him completely off the rails. He was awesome.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

I tried to watch The Affair today - Dominic West, Maura Tierney, on Showtime - and really couldn't get into it. Family man cheats on his wife, and some sort of crime happened. We hear West's character being interviewed by a police detective in voiceovers. Interesting concept, and maybe I wasn't in the mood for it. Anyone else watch it?
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

newarenanow wrote:
tfrizz wrote:

Pretty much this. Hopefully the early episodes don't chase away too many viewers and they correct some of the writing. I agree with you, I think outside of a handful of people, the acting, setting, and overall story line is great. They just have so many stupid things due to writing or forcing things in there that just make you cringe.
I thought this review pretty much nailed it:
Spoiler:
AV Club review:

This week’s villain doesn’t have a silly gimmick like the ’50s-styled child snatchers and The Balloonman, he just uses a retractable metal spear to kill his targets. His first victim is a councilman that is stupid enough to take a strange device from a strange man in a parking lot and put it up to his eye, and his second victim is a man who doesn’t realize you should use the stairs instead of waiting for the elevators when being chased by a killer. Elected officials in Gotham City aren’t especially smart, so it’s not hard to pick them off one by one, even when they have police protection like the mayor does.

After two weeks of heavily exaggerated villains, it’s refreshing to see a more subdued antagonistic that has a threatening presence without pushing too hard. By taking a less aggressive approach, actor Hakeem Kae-Kazim makes assassin Gladwell a surprisingly captivating villain, so it’s unfortunate that he’s shot dead by Gordon and Bullock when he comes after the mayor. The attack on the mayor ultimately leads to a compromise on the Arkham plan, and it’s laughable in its awfulness. Arkham will have low-income housing and the asylum will be retrofitted to fit modern standards, but the district will also contain a waste disposal site so that Gotham’s underprivileged citizens will be living in a dump. To make the decision even more hilarious, Maroni delights in the compromise by grabbing a piece of steak with his bare hands and biting into it, transitioning from a stereotypical Italian mob boss to a grotesque caricature.

The character has potential, but it’s not fully explored. Instead, Oswald is being rushed through a story that puts him a position of power in Maroni’s crew, which is confusing for a number of reasons. The big one is that everyone thinks that Oswald was killed, so he decides to lay low by going right back to what he was doing before, this time with a different boss and a different GCPD contact. A big part of Oswald’s character is that he’s an outcast that stands out from the crowd because of his personality and appearance, and yet he’s the character that is put in an undercover position. He doesn’t even try to be inconspicuous about eavesdropping on Maroni while washing dishes, and immediately after Oswald’s boss yells at him for not minding his own business, he gets right back to the staring and the listening.

In order to fast track his way into Maroni’s good graces, Oswald sets up a robbery to make himself look like a hero when he saves a bag of Maroni’s money. Because the restaurant manager was killed in the stick-up, Maroni offers the position to the dishwasher, which is hilarious because Oswald has absolutely no qualifications for restaurant management beyond being able to survive a robbery that he staged himself. This show is making things too easy for the character, and there’s no sense that Oswald is in danger as he starts to gain more power for himself by playing with fire.

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/gotham-arkham-210451" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I love watching Cops. Episode starting at 8:30 is detectives doing drug busts in pittsburgh.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

most recent blacklist was lame
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

I just watched the most recent Gotham. I didn't think it was as bad as some of the reviews stated it to be. I actually thought it was the best episode so far.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Idoit40fans wrote:I love watching Cops. Episode starting at 8:30 is detectives doing drug busts in pittsburgh.
I'm a big COPS fan. If the kid is up late at night, I'll just turn on the TV and watch COPS until they go to bed.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

newarenanow wrote:I just watched the most recent Gotham. I didn't think it was as bad as some of the reviews stated it to be. I actually thought it was the best episode so far.
If you are referring to E4, I thought it was pretty good too. There are still some cringeworthy moments (some of which were mentioned in the AV Club review posted above), but overall I enjoyed it.

I know it's been mentioned in this thread already, but the consensus is that The Flash is really good? I'm just so skeptical of anything coming from the CW.