Pronger Interviews with Dept. Of Player Safety

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Pronger Interviews with Dept. Of Player Safety

Post by Crankshaft »

Juice wrote:#justI40things
lol
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Where is the official announcment?
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

People hold two jobs all the time. Big deal.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by jmh470 »

Pretty much every aspect of this is absurd: Pronger's contract itself, him being on LTIR, Pronger and 'player safety' being used in the same sentence, this going through without significant objection...

Truly impressive, even for the NHL.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Pavel Bure wrote:People hold two jobs all the time. Big deal.
But I can almost guarantee their 2 jobs don't have conflicts of interest.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

And are not in violation of a contract.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

Pavel Bure wrote:People hold two jobs all the time. Big deal.
But in this case, they are breaking a CBA rule.

Elliotte Friedman ✔ @FriedgeHNIC
Pronger: issue is in Article 26 of CBA. No one being paid by a team can be paid by the league
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Idoit40fans wrote:
shmenguin wrote:a 25 year old pronger is less likely to have to retire during his contract than a 35 year old pronger. the flyers took a risk when they signed an old player to a long deal, and they lost. if he's employed by the NHL, the flyers need to eat that cap hit - despite the fact that they'd rather he be playing right now.
The NHL disagrees with you.
Wouldn't be the first time.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

I don't understand how the NHL is going through with this. They HAVE to know that rule. And if they forgive Pronger's cap hit that's a ridiculously unfair ruling.
DropEmJayBird
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by DropEmJayBird »

Idoit40fans wrote:
shmenguin wrote:a 25 year old pronger is less likely to have to retire during his contract than a 35 year old pronger. the flyers took a risk when they signed an old player to a long deal, and they lost. if he's employed by the NHL, the flyers need to eat that cap hit - despite the fact that they'd rather he be playing right now.
Comcast disagrees with you.
fixed.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Hextall: NHL's hiring of Pronger 'a good move'
http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philade ... -good-move" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

With it being such a clear cut violation of the CBA can't pretty much anyone on either side file a grievance and challenge it?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Value of Hextall's opinion when it comes to player safety = 0
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Defence21 »

Re: Philly circumventing the cap.

My line of thinking is like this: Pronger and the Flyers entered into a mutually agreed upon contract that had an over-35 stipulation to it, meaning the only way the cap hit comes off the book is if the player is traded to another team (or if the player goes on LTIR). Pronger has effectively retired, having not played for years and now being hired by the NHL. Letting the Flyers off the hook regarding his cap hit is entirely wrong. Now that he is working, he is no longer effectively retired, but rather officially retired from hockey as a player. As a result, the Flyers, who willingly signed him to the contract, should be on the hook for his cap hit until his contract is due to expire. Period. If that does not happen, what legs does the over-35 contract rule have to stand on? Whether the Flyers and Pronger initially intended to circumvent the cap is irrelevant. When a player retires, which he has, his contract cannot be hidden, traded, removed, forgotten, etc. If it happens here, there's a major issue and precedent to let this sort of thing happen moving forward.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

A part of me would like to think the league, without it being public knowledge, has given the Flyers a date when they need to have stuff shuffled around to start counting his cap hit for retirement. They would need to move around 2.5 million to make it happen so as fair as it is for them to be stuck with it, I think it's also fair they get time to do it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Part of me thinks he wasn't retiring and the NHL(the league that would enforce the cap hit if he were retired) is the organization asking him to work for them so they have a conflict of interest if they both take him and then force that cap hit.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Idoit40fans wrote:Part of me thinks he wasn't retiring and the NHL(the league that would enforce the cap hit if he were retired) is the organization asking him to work for them so they have a conflict of interest if they both take him and then force that cap hit.
No conflict there... that is enforcing their own rules. That is not a conflict. The conflict in interest would be hiring him and then breaking their rules by not enforcing the cap hit.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

If the group levying the penalty being the group creating the infraction isnt a conflict of interest, i dont know what is.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

I don't understand why the league would engage in this to begin with. Were there no there ex players who wear glasses available for the job? What is pronger offering that they felt was needed to the extent where it made up for the shadyness of the arrangement.

There's little effective difference between whether pronger puts himself on ltir every year or does this instead. But still...It was a risky contract and should be carried out - or give other teams the same opportunity to work the system with their old players.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

Idoit40fans wrote:If the group levying the penalty being the group creating the infraction isnt a conflict of interest, i dont know what is.
If the group creating the rules being the group ignoring the violation of those rules to suit their purposes isn't a conflict of interest, I don't know what is.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by The Snapshot »

One of the nastiest stick men in NHL history working on Player Safety - As heard on XM a few days ago - "like OJ becoming a marriage counselor...."
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

The Snapshot wrote:One of the nastiest stick men in NHL history working on Player Safety - As heard on XM a few days ago - "like OJ becoming a marriage counselor...."
And that's why you shouldn't listen to NHL on XM
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Sigwolf wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:If the group levying the penalty being the group creating the infraction isnt a conflict of interest, i dont know what is.
If the group creating the rules being the group ignoring the violation of those rules to suit their purposes isn't a conflict of interest, I don't know what is.
:thumb:
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

I'm wondering here, would say a group of fans have any legal status to sue the league saying that this was a blatant conflict of interest and that since he should either retire and the Flyers take the cap hit or he can't work for the league. Or a team that's in Salary cap hell sue because the league is showing favoritism towards while they can't get any relief under the cap.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

stopper40 wrote:I'm wondering here, would say a group of fans have any legal status to sue the league saying that this was a blatant conflict of interest and that since he should either retire and the Flyers take the cap hit or he can't work for the league. Or a team that's in Salary cap hell sue because the league is showing favoritism towards while they can't get any relief under the cap.
This sounds like something the Canadiens would do.