2014-2015 Player Safety Jury: To Suspend or Not

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

2014-2015 Player Safety Jury: To Suspend or Not

Post by FLPensFan »

Thought I would start a thread to let our fellow board members comment on hits of questionable nature this season, and if NHL Player safety is getting it right.

First up, Radko Gudas versus Scottie Upshall. NHL says no review of the incident.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/600447

What say you?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: 2014-2015 Player Safety Jury: To Suspend or Not

Post by MRandall25 »

Should be suspendable. He pretty much lined that up with the elbow high.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Jesus Upshall. Get your head up.

3 games.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

I blame Upshall for most of that...but the principle point of contact is the head, so I guess you're required to give a game or whatever...I wouldn't go much more than that. Upshall skates into the 6'5" guy with his head down, what should Gudas do? Hug him? Gudas braces for impact too and clocks him because he's way bigger...

The more I think about it, the more I don't see a need to suspend anyone on this play...it's almost entirely Upshall's fault...
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

I happened to be watching the game last night when this happened. The really sad thing is, there was no penalty called on Gudas at all. There was a delayed penalty to coming to Stamkos about half a second before this happened as he tried to knock a puck out of the air and high sticked a player. While Upshall had his head down, he had just turned around from going the other direction. Gudas, on the other hand, was skating laterally and changed his angle to go straight at Upshall, leading with the elbow.

This is a better video of it.
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hoc ... ious-elbow

I say Quintal is 0 for 1 already.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

mikey287 wrote:I blame Upshall for most of that...but the principle point of contact is the head, so I guess you're required to give a game or whatever...I wouldn't go much more than that. Upshall skates into the 6'5" guy with his head down, what should Gudas do? Hug him? Gudas braces for impact too and clocks him because he's way bigger...

The more I think about it, the more I don't see a need to suspend anyone on this play...it's almost entirely Upshall's fault...
Said it below or above, but I would disagree. I would be more lenient if he hit shoulder, but Gudas is skating east-west, changes his angle to go directly at Upshall, and appears to lead with the elbow. But I think that's where many people's opinion will vary...is it leading with the elbow, or bracing for contact.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Hmm, that video is a touch more damning. I should have researched more footage before coming to a conclusion on a piece of slo-mo film. I still don't consider it particularly malicious, but he did clean him out with a high hit. I think the precedent of Pronger physics applies and will win the day, but there's grounds there if you want that high hit out...
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

FLPensFan wrote:The really sad thing is, there was no penalty called on Gudas at all.
i don't know why this always bothers people so much. it's pretty easy to miss any given penalty. even if you're a terrific ref.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Meh. I think hockey should have the equivalent of a yellow card/red card type system for suspensions. Gudas should be given a verbal warning (yellow card). That way a precedent gets set and he can be suspended for another incident down the line this season if he repeats. Obviously this idea would require reform and better development, but I feel it best gives more transparency. There will never be a consensus on whether a hit should or should not be suspended, but it at least gives a foundation.
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

I put a GIF from Gfycat of the hit in the spoiler, using the slowmotion from the CBS Sports link... (Link is to the HTML5 version).
Spoiler:
Yes, Upshall should have put his head up. Gudas still elbowed his head. That wasn't a shoulder hit; Gudas extended his arm out to hit instead of just leaning into him.

To be fair, I'm not giving Gudas any benefit. He's going to have a bad reputation sooner or later for these sort of hits.