TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: TV Shows

Post by dodint »

The Tosh.0 Clean Episode was surprisingly good.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Clean comedy can be, and in a lot of cases is, funnier than dirty comedy. Jim Gaffigan is considered clean and he's one of the funniest out there right now IMO.

Sometimes though I just want to listen to Richard Pryor or George Carlin...
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

In the case of the Tosh.0 episode it really worked because you were waiting for him to just bomb the audience with something horrible, and though it never came (*snicker*), the suspense of it made it work.

I have nothing against clean comedy. A good study of that is Bob Marley. His career went from wicked filthy to Disney clean as it evolved. He's funny either way.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

I liked Arrow last night, but this is the 3rd time he tells diggle to stay back and then follows or will follow with a you are right. Get the guy off the show or let him help already
Spoiler:
Canary showing up and getting shot last night came out of nowhere, felt really forced in there. My guess is the show has too many characters and they are going to have her sister (who I can't stand) take her revenge and become the next superhero
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

The girl that plays laurel is already listed as black canary on imdb. Pretty sure she was already referenced as having dinah as her middle name or something in season one.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

eddysnake wrote:I liked Arrow last night, but this is the 3rd time he tells diggle to stay back and then follows or will follow with a you are right. Get the guy off the show or let him help already
Spoiler:
Canary showing up and getting shot last night came out of nowhere, felt really forced in there. My guess is the show has too many characters and they are going to have her sister (who I can't stand) take her revenge and become the next superhero
Regarding your spoiler...
Spoiler:
The implication is that Sara was sent there by the League of Assassins to either kill or retrieve Malcolm Merlyn. Merlyn, however, found her first and "neutralizes the threat". Sara's death is likely to act as a catalyst for Laurel to become Black Canary.
I enjoyed the episode, and really look forward to the season as there is supposed to be three Flash/Arrow crossovers (one big crossover and a couple minor ones), one Felicity-centric episode, and one Diggle-centric episode.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

tfrizz wrote:
eddysnake wrote:I liked Arrow last night, but this is the 3rd time he tells diggle to stay back and then follows or will follow with a you are right. Get the guy off the show or let him help already
Spoiler:
Regarding your spoiler...
Spoiler:
The implication is that Sara was sent there by the League of Assassins to either kill or retrieve Malcolm Merlyn. Merlyn, however, found her first and "neutralizes the threat". Sara's death is likely to act as a catalyst for Laurel to become Black Canary.
I enjoyed the episode, and really look forward to the season as there is supposed to be three Flash/Arrow crossovers (one big crossover and a couple minor ones), one Felicity-centric episode, and one Diggle-centric episode.
that makes sense. I like Sara so much better than Laurel.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Modern Family is starting to lose some luster for me.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

newarenanow wrote:Modern Family is starting to lose some luster for me.
That happened about 3 episodes into last season for me.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

newarenanow wrote:I liked the new Gotham this week. Again, a few stupid lines/scenes, but I thought it was getting better.
Pretty much my exact thoughts. It's improved each week, but some of the dialogue is just off. The show still seems to be working out its tone. You can have serious and goofy, but so far some of the goofiness has been too over the top. I also think the crime and corruption in Gotham is overdone to a degree. If the city is full of criminals and the cops minus Jim Gordon are as bad as the cops, well then maybe they're better off with the League of Shadows coming in and taking care of things.

Other thoughts:

- The kid playing Bruce Wayne is pretty damn good.
- I liked seeing a bit more too Alfred. He seems exasperated and has no idea how to raise a kid, who happens to be his boss, whose dead father told him to let the kid do whatever he wants.
- I'd like to see Oswald get murderous revenge on Fish Mooney and that be his beginning as a crime boss. Gut her restaurant and rename it The Iceburg Lounge.
- Future Mrs. Gordon isn't a very good actress, but she looks damn good in a robe.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Will smith's talentless wife is the only thing i really dislike about the show.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Dickie Dunn wrote:The show still seems to be working out its tone. You can have serious and goofy, but so far some of the goofiness has been too over the top.
With regard to this, one thing that stuck out as an unnecessary scene was the crooked cop falling from the sky ontop of the old lady walking her dog. Just let him fall and crash.

And then the line that I cringed was the cop with major crimes yelling to Gordon when he was walking away saying "oh yeah, well you smell like sewer!".
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

Idoit40fans wrote:Will smith's talentless wife is the only thing i really dislike about the show.
Which is why I hope Oswald kills her. She's better than she was in the pilot, but she still kinda sucks.
newarenanow wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:The show still seems to be working out its tone. You can have serious and goofy, but so far some of the goofiness has been too over the top.
With regard to this, one thing that stuck out as an unnecessary scene was the crooked cop falling from the sky ontop of the old lady walking her dog. Just let him fall and crash.

And then the line that I cringed was the cop with major crimes yelling to Gordon when he was walking away saying "oh yeah, well you smell like sewer!".
Yea, both of those stuck out to me as weird moments. Similar to the random lines of dialogue from David Goyer that would get left in Nolan's Batman movies after his brother rewrote everything.

I'm really enjoying the role they have The Penguin playing and based on the preview for next week, I hope the next episode is the beginning of him going from murderous lunatic to capable businessman/crime boss.
Last edited by Dickie Dunn on Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

newarenanow wrote:

see, I thought that line worked given the double meaning off of him having just been in the sewer
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

relantel wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

see, I thought that line worked given the double meaning off of him having just been in the sewer
But he said it in a "my dad can beat up your dad" kind of way. The delivery was horrible and the moment awkward.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Dickie Dunn wrote: I'm really enjoying the role they have The Penguin playing and based on the preview for next week, I hope the next episode is the beginning of him going from murderous lunatic to capable businessman/crime boss.
He and Falcone have been the best part of the show.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

newarenanow wrote:
relantel wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

But he said it in a "my dad can beat up your dad" kind of way. The delivery was horrible and the moment awkward.
I'll give you that, the delivery wasn't very good, which made it awkward.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

newarenanow wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote: I'm really enjoying the role they have The Penguin playing and based on the preview for next week, I hope the next episode is the beginning of him going from murderous lunatic to capable businessman/crime boss.
He and Falcone have been the best part of the show.
Without a doubt. Moving away from "comic book villains" (it's not from the comics, but the whole Ballonman thing was comic booky) and focusing more on an organized crime confrontation between Maroni, Falcone, and an upstart Oswald Cobblepot would put the show on the right track to awesomeness. The more John Dorman the better.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

Dickie Dunn wrote:- Future Mrs. Gordon isn't a very good actress, but she looks damn good in a robe.
Amen to that!
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Not saying I'm at your mom's house, not saying I'm not.

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

Finally got to the Arrow season premier, wow is all I can say.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Not saying I'm at your mom's house, not saying I'm not.

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

Also starting the first episode of The Flash.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

It probably won't resonate with everyone, but The League crushed Pinktober. Someone on that writing staff had breast cancer for sure, because the fawning they depicted is spot on and hilarious to see it get lampooned.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Finally watched the Strain ep from four weeks ago (we have three left on the DVR now).
Spoiler:
Guess it was only a matter of time before Ef's wife got it... quite a brutal episodel
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

relantel wrote:Finally watched the Strain ep from four weeks ago (we have three left on the DVR now).
Spoiler:
Guess it was only a matter of time before Ef's wife got it... quite a brutal episodel
I totally gave up on the show. It's just awful.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I just got caught up on Sleepy Hollow. Weird stuff.