Yahoo's NHL predictions...

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Yahoo's NHL predictions...

Post by Jim »

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... 10697.html

I was not going to comment on this article until I saw the last category. Biggest free agent bust... Of the 9 people, 5 picked ex-Pens: 2-Orpik, 2-Niskanen and 1-Engelland. However, to show the value of this article, someone picked Ovechkin as "Most Underrated" :face:
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Yahoo's NHL predictions...

Post by mikey287 »

Honestly, at this point, he probably is underrated. Everyone took his plus/minus to the bank and made it like he's some terrible player. So, now that he's switched from overrated to underrated, I find myself defending him. Some people are just like "is he even a top 10 player anymore?" - the answer is: he's still in that same tier he always was with Crosby and Malkin...if he dips below that tier, it's fair to say that he's somewhat underrated...
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

of course James Neal's long lost sister thinks we're the most overhyped team
sniper
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by sniper »

Most over-rated player is far and away Jonathan Toews. Has any forward in the history of the game finished 3rd on their team in scoring and been on peoples list as an MVP nominee?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

mikey287 wrote:Honestly, at this point, he probably is underrated. Everyone took his plus/minus to the bank and made it like he's some terrible player. So, now that he's switched from overrated to underrated, I find myself defending him. Some people are just like "is he even a top 10 player anymore?" - the answer is: he's still in that same tier he always was with Crosby and Malkin...if he dips below that tier, it's fair to say that he's somewhat underrated...
I do not quite agree. He has an amazing shot and gets open... but it really should be easy to defend against him. Put someone in/near the right face-off dot... poof... Ovechkin nullified. Also, if he got called for the charging runs he always takes, the physicality of his game would be nullified. The big issue with him is that he rests on his couple big tricks (as in one-trick-pony) and doesn't try to better himself or his overall game. If he would turn that corner he would be top tier again. Right now ... eh...
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

sniper wrote:Most over-rated player is far and away Jonathan Toews. Has any forward in the history of the game finished 3rd on their team in scoring and been on peoples list as an MVP nominee?
The fact that the voters have made that award all about points is a joke. That guy is a boss.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Jim wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Honestly, at this point, he probably is underrated. Everyone took his plus/minus to the bank and made it like he's some terrible player. So, now that he's switched from overrated to underrated, I find myself defending him. Some people are just like "is he even a top 10 player anymore?" - the answer is: he's still in that same tier he always was with Crosby and Malkin...if he dips below that tier, it's fair to say that he's somewhat underrated...
I do not quite agree. He has an amazing shot and gets open... but it really should be easy to defend against him. Put someone in/near the right face-off dot... poof... Ovechkin nullified. Also, if he got called for the charging runs he always takes, the physicality of his game would be nullified. The big issue with him is that he rests on his couple big tricks (as in one-trick-pony) and doesn't try to better himself or his overall game. If he would turn that corner he would be top tier again. Right now ... eh...
Yet, no one can really stop him offensively. It isn't that black and white.