NHL Had Deal in Place to Move Coyotes to Seattle

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

NHL Had Deal in Place to Move Coyotes to Seattle

Post by Dickie Dunn »

I thought this was pretty interesting. If the Glendale City Council didn't approve the new lease agreement, the league had a buyer in place and the team would have been moved the day after the vote. Probably would have drawn more than 14,000 people per game as well.

http://seattletimes.com/html/hockey/202 ... 07xml.html

http://deadspin.com/the-coyotes-were-da ... 1643791488
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: NHL Had Deal in Place to Move Coyotes to Seattle

Post by relantel »

cue Expansion to Seattle thread in 3... 2... 1... :pop:
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

A coworker from Toronto suggests the NHL place another team near Toronto. He said the Leafs have priced tickets to a level that only corporations and the very wealthy can afford, and there are residual fans from the Marries, enough to support another major league team.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Portland and Seattle in the west and leave greater TOR and QC open for inevitable moves within the east. Arizona can eventually move to KC.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

columbia wrote:Portland and Seattle in the west and leave greater TOR and QC open for inevitable moves within the east. Arizona can eventually move to KC.
This sounds far more ideal.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

I enjoy seeing at least a game a season in PHX. It's too bad that they didn't award the Arena to be built in Scottsdale. Attendance wouldn't be an issue mentioned in every conversation regarding the team.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

BigMcK wrote:I enjoy seeing at least a game a season in PHX. It's too bad that they didn't award the Arena to be built in Scottsdale. Attendance wouldn't be an issue mentioned in every conversation regarding the team.
East Valley Bias! :pop:
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by littlemoonboot »

no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

Yeah they NHL had to be ready if that vote fell through, no doubt. It would be foolish for them not to have another plan inplace.

I was watching the Florida game tonight... wow there is like no one in the seats. The home side where they shot at twice is kinda full, the other end is empty. Its time to pull the plug on that place and let them relocate. Seattle, Toronto 2 or Quebec all seem to be great options. Florida... wow i can't see how the players get up to be at a game with only half the fan there. Those season tickets must be 1/2 of what our fans pay.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

It seemed like the writing was on the wall as far as relocation goes when the Florida teams were put in the same division as the Canadian teams when they realigned.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

Froggy wrote:It seemed like the writing was on the wall as far as relocation goes when the Florida teams were put in the same division as the Canadian teams when they realigned.
True i also heard on the NHL channel that the new ownership of FLA will not igve away free tickets anymore. WHere they used to give tickets away to have warm bodies in the seats, they will not do that any longer. I think if they avg. low attendance they can get out of their lease. The local goverment isn't really trying to help the team to stay. Would be nice to see them move to Seattle, you could even up the confrences if they moved there.