Formula 1 thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Formula 1 thread

Post by MRandall25 »

Max Verstappen is taking over for Kvyat. TR let him drive JE Vergne's car during first practice, and he put up the 12th fastest time in the session. Obviously, people aren't going full tilt in P1, but pretty impressive for a 17 year old.

Also, I think Kvyat has more than earned the spot. Jean-Eric Vergne seems like a TR lifer.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by CBear3 »

I had read earlier today that he was the planned successor, but to announce it 48 hours after Vettel voided the contract seemed awful quick.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

So......

Confirmed: Vettel leaving RBR at end of year

Rumored: Alonso leaving Ferrari for McLaren, Vettel in Ferrari, Button in retirement

That about it?

If true, this will be the third time my favorite driver has driven for my least favorite team. (Senna-McLaren, Alonso-McLaren 1 & 2) Hard to believe that Alonso-McLaren 1.0 was seven years ago, which didn't exactly work out so well. I still have a lingering distrust of McLaren for allowing their golden boy Hamilton to openly race Alonso; I just don't think a rookie coming in from a junior formula should be running with their 2x and defending World Champion teammate, regardless of their inherent pace.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Kvyat is confirmed at RBR alongside the other Dan. That's a perplexing lineup to me, to have confirmed so early. You'd think they'd want someone salty in there, but it may work for them. I like Ricciardo and will continue to support RBR, but I've been rooting for Vettel since BMW so I'll have to find a happy place to go to on Sundays to make that work. Vettel-Ferrari is to me as Alonso-McLaren is to you. The only solace is that Ferrari is a bit **** right now and if they pull it together it'll be fun watching a German bring titles to Italy again, lulz.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Wow......... all good thoughts for Jules Bianchi.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Not really a gruesome image, but won't post here just cos.

Bianchi wreck

I don't even know how to explain that damage. How does the top part of the car just shear away like that?
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

tifosi77 wrote:Not really a gruesome image, but won't post here just cos.

Bianchi wreck

I don't even know how to explain that damage. How does the top part of the car just shear away like that?
He plowed into the crane that was removing Sutil's car, and I'd guess went under part of it, causing the top damage.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

Precious little information all day, other than severe head injury and surgery, but latest reports indicate he emerged from surgery and is breathing on his own. This is the most positive sign yet since the accident, hopefully there will be more positive news tomorrow.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

RIP Andrea de Cesaris
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Now reports are saying Bianchi has been placed on life support and may need further surgical intervention.

And regarding de Cesaris...... hate to sound disrespectful, but my abiding memory of the man will always be the 1982 U.S. Grand Prix West at Long Beach.

[youtube][/youtube]

De Cesaris gets angry with a backmarker, shakes his fist at him entering Shoreline Drive, misses an upshift, and allows Niki Lauda to effortlessly take the lead and eventually win his first race after coming back from retirement. De Cesaris - often called 'de Crasheris' - ended his day with his Alfa embedded in the wall.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by CBear3 »

Saw video of Bianchi before it was taken down this morning. Pretty violent, lifted the rear of the tractor (which was canter-levered by Sutil's car, but still) and moved it about 6-10 feet. Wasn't sliding in, but did drive in at an angle so as the nose appeared to cleared the tractor (only caught the LF wheel). A foot further left and we wouldn't be holding out any hope, 10 feet further left and we'd be mourning two marshals.

Video was taken from turn 18 by a spectator in the stands, and was clear as day.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Won't embed because, well, I just won't

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is also a green flag waving for drivers in the T 7-8 area, despite the FIA press release saying double yellows were out in that part of the track while Sutil's Sauber was carted out. FOM telemetry showed the Marussia was goin 132 mph when it left the track, on par with other cars on that and the preceding laps.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by CBear3 »

The full two minute version I saw this morning showed double yellows while the tractor picked up Sutil's car (the video started by looking up track from 18 at cars going through the chicane 16, 17. The tractor has been backing up some 30-45 seconds before Bianchi arrives. At the point where the tractor clears MP12 (shown in the video) the yellows are replaced with a green showing the next sector is clear. MP11 should still have had double waving yellows, along with the light on Bianchi's wheel displaying the sector as under a local yellow.

http://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/ ... uitMap.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Marshal light 08 as seen on that pdf should have been flashing yellow.

The actual state of MP11 and ML08 obviously can't be ascertained from that video. But MP12 appears to be displaying flags appropriately.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

When did they start allowing the use of DRS with Intermediate tires/during rain?

(I'm watching this on DVR. Fully prepared for the record to end around lap 35).
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by CBear3 »

Yesterday apparently.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

That seems odd/dangerous.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by CBear3 »

Certainly not the only thing of questionable intelligence done in Suzuka that weekend.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

As far as I know, use of DRS is at the discretion of the Race Director. If Charlie says it's safe, then have at it.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Just seems odd that most tracks disable it if it's a full wet race/in weather like they saw in Japan.

Also surprised at how long it for NBC's commentary team to realize something went wrong with Bianchi.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by CBear3 »

I've heard the BBC crew didn't notice him missing until the cars were stopped on pitlane.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Bianchi's family have revealed that Jules suffered a diffuse axonal injury to the brain. Having never heard that term before, I Googled it and...... was not heartened by what I read. Apparently a very common outcome of severe cases is persistent vegetative state, with about 90% of such patients never coming out of coma. They are shear injuries following severe deceleration, which means his brain was literally torn in places. Ugh.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Damn. I've had blinders on all week, watching it on DVR now. Jumped into the thread here when the thing went red flag. Had no idea what happened to Jules. :(

Yeah, the NBC crew really blew it now that I'm watching it on review.

"Hey, I think that crane is stuck in the mud."

*guy runs from medic van carrying a backboard across the shot*

"Hey, Sutil might be hurt."

*everyone runs away from Sutil to behind the crane*

Then Will Buxton, the only guy there, gets it.

Hindsight is 20/20 but yargh.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

dodint wrote:Then Will Buxton... gets it.
Said no one, ever.

Hot and cold with him. Mostly cold. I think it's jealously over the fact that this job exists now when I'm married and in my 40s, and not when I was young and single.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Watching the Russian GP. A phone keeps ringing in the background, and it's lasted for a good 30+ minutes.

SOMEONE PICK UP THE DAMN PHONE.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

What did you guys think of Sochi? The race itself was snoretasctic, but I thought the track was kinda good. (Keep in mind, I mostly dig street circuits)