The Ryan Johansen Saga

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: The Ryan Johansen Saga

Post by slappybrown »

tfrizz wrote:
slappybrown wrote:I wouldn't sign any of those if I'm Johansen. If he wants 8 years that number has to start with a 7.

Nor would I offer him 8 years if were CBJ.

I agree with the people above who would offer sheet him if I were another team. I'd trade those picks for Johansen straight up and I know I'm getting him locked up.
Nobody is going to offer sheet Johansen because this is a much their battle as it is Columbus's. If they cave and throw money at Johansen, it sets the bar for RFAs coming off their ELC with one good season. His first two seasons were quite pedestrian, and he was even made a healthy scratch in the 2013 AHL playoffs.
Right, but that's at least partially because Brian Burke successfully threw a hissy fit over Penner so now people are afraid of offer sheets except in very rare circumstances (eg, Weber).

If you want to offer sheet Johansen because you think he's worth it based on "one good season", but don't want to pay your next RFA for the same "one good season" the next time that comes up, you don't have to. If your GM is weak enough to cave to an arbitrary "bar" because player X got that, even if player Y is not worth what player X got, then you need a new GM.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

slappybrown wrote: If your GM is weak enough to cave to an arbitrary "bar" because player X got that, even if player Y is not worth what player X got, then you need a new GM.
QFT
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

So the Bruins were able to get Krug under contract for $1.4. Bruins clearly couldn't meet his contract demands, seems to me like that's another guy that could've been poached.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Reilly Smith was not eligible for an offer sheet, nor was Torey Krug. They had very little leverage.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

mikey287 wrote:Reilly Smith was not eligible for an offer sheet, nor was Torey Krug. They had very little leverage.
Oh, I thought i saw that they were restricted FA's, so there is a class of RFA's that aren't really free agents at all?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Complicatedly, yes. You have to have three years of experience to be eligible for an offer sheet. So, no offer sheet, no arbitration. You can sit and sulk/demand a trade or go play in Europe (Mark Giordano)...or sign a contract and read the tea leaves on what will happen in January or this offseason regarding your future pay...
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Heard the two sides were talking again this week. I expect talks to pick up and something to get done, as CBJ is starting to have players go down left and right. Dubinsky is hurt, but I believe he will be ready for opening night or a few games after....Horton is a mess, which was not expected, and now Boone Jenner has a broken hand...
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Why is this difficult? I don't understand what leverage Johansen thinks he has. He's a good player but unless you really follow every team most peopel don't know who he is. He's been here for 3 years? Never knew he was on the Jackets until Pierre drooled all over him in the playoffs and then I never noticed him. He was garbage up until last year. Which on is the fluke? An entry level player coming off of his first two years of 13G, 19A, a combined -9 in 107 combined games then getting 33G, 30A, +3 in 82 should not feel entitled to a massive long term contract.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

DelPen wrote:Why is this difficult? I don't understand what leverage Johansen thinks he has. He's a good player but unless you really follow every team most peopel don't know who he is. He's been here for 3 years? Never knew he was on the Jackets until Pierre drooled all over him in the playoffs and then I never noticed him. He was garbage up until last year. Which one is the fluke? An entry level player coming off of his first two years of 13G, 19A, a combined -9 in 107 combined games then getting 33G, 30A, +3 in 82 should not feel entitled to a massive long term contract.
He was a highly touted prospect that struggled to establish himself on some no name teams at his age 19 & 20 seasons.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

So he cant do it by himself. Why should he get paid as if he can then?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Idoit40fans wrote:So he cant do it by himself. Why should he get paid as if he can then?
His reported demands for a two-year, $9.4 million

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nhl/3331/ryan-johansen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Crosby got a $40M deal that had the 8.7 AAV at that stage. I also think Toews and Kane got $6+ AAV deals at that stage.

So, those guys could do it by themselves, and got paid to do that. So he's objectively not seeking to be paid as one of the best.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

i dont understand that comparison. He is nowhere near the level of any of thise guys. Productionwise hes on the level with toews' rookie year in his own contract year.

A fair comparable would be someone like couture. While he undoubtedly performed better on his rookie contract, he also had more help. He had better numbers overall but a similar final year of his elc. He probably made an AAV of like $3 million on bis second contract.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Idoit40fans wrote:i dont understand that comparison. He is nowhere near the level of any of thise guys. Productionwise hes on the level with toews' rookie year in his own contract year.

A fair comparable would be someone like couture. While he undoubtedly performed better on his rookie contract, he also had more help. He had better numbers overall but a similar final year of his elc. He probably made an AAV of like $3 million on bis second contract.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logan_Couture" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I agree that couture would be a better comparison, but I brought up those deals to show what guys that can do it on their own got paid. Johansen and Couture both only had one good season, prior to their deals. But I'd say johansen has more pedigree as a higher draft pick, has played more games that couture at the point he got the 5.75M contract. I'd also say Johansen's season was better than Couture's and he's much more valuable to the blue jackets than couture is. The jackets should be offering 7.5 - 8 on a two year deal, it's actually kind of ridiculous that both sides are holding out at all. This is just a principle thing, 2-3 million over two years for arguably the most important skater on the team.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

It seems like there is a gap in your argument, but I don't really care. I liked Johansen a lot till this thing came along, he seems like an unrealistic player who wants something unearned to be handed to him.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

That's over. Three-year deal.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Eleventy billion dollars
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

How many years? Threeve.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

$4M x 3 for RyJo.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

That's fair.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

That last year is key. To qualify him next time, it will be 6 mill. Seems like a fair deal all around.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Is his agent fired yet?
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

mikey287 wrote:How many years? Threeve.
Simply stunning
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
AAV on Johansen extension with CBJ is $4M.
So it's 3 years with a $4M AAV. I wonder how they've structured it.

Regardless, I'm very happy to see the Jackets hold their ground and get a number that's much closer to what they wanted - and, also, much more reasonable than Johansen's demands.
Last edited by tfrizz on Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

$3mil, $3mil, $6mil breakdown per year
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

meow wrote:$3mil, $3mil, $6mil breakdown per year
Kind of surprised the Jackets went to $6M in the final year. That could create some problems for them - Johansen will be an RFA with a $6M qualifying price, and he'll be eligible for arbitration where he can't walk away with less than $5.1M (85% of his previous year's salary). Although, the Jackets did get their $3M in the first two years so it was probably that final year that got the deal done.