Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by Shyster »

I try to be conscientious and always stop for pedestrians in crosswalks. The primary place I do so is right in front of my office building, where frequently I'm the pedestrian, so I figure "do onto others." My peeve is people who stand on the curb talking or texting on their cell phones, and I can't tell whether they're waiting to cross or just standing there. I don't know how many times I've stopped so someone can cross only to have the pedestrian stare blankly at me like a cow as they continue their conversation. If you aren't waiting to cross, don't stand at the crosswalk, you dumb *****!
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I live in a tourist city, loaded with crosswalks, people, children and dogs. You just get used to constantly yielding.
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by yubb »

I didn't mention it, but I meant to say that if they have the crosswalk signal or if there's no signal and the cars have stop signs that they can just walk across the street.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

JS© wrote:Not sure if you're agreeing with me or sarcastically saying they have the right of way at any and all situations.

I am not referring to the people who look both ways, cross, and shoot a mean glare to a car that never slowed up. Those people have a right to be pissed. I'm talking about people who walk out with no abandon whatsoever, sometimes not even checking both directions before doing so. This is more common in areas of parking lots without stop signs or especially in random sections near a grocery store.

If you're guessing my rant is resulting from driving by Giant Iggle where a person didn't check both ways before crossing in a non-crosswalk area, then you are probably correct.
I guess I can't really interpret the exact situation you're describing, but it sounds like something I literally can't remember ever seeing. If someone wants to saunter out onto a cross walk despite a heavy flow of traffic, I fully support that. That's why it's there. If they run out into the street like they're being chased by goblins, I guess that would be a safety hazard. But again, I can't remember ever seeing that.

And yes - staring down people that seem bothered that I'm using a cross walk as I slowly pass is one of my favorite things.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

Pedestrian related but the exact opposite of irrational pet peeve is when people are jay walking and they run/walk/powerwalk through one lane ( no traffic) then slow down and walk through the second lane (traffic). Cracks me up every time
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Pedestrians don't have the right of way unless they are in a crosswalk or designated pedestrian area. Of course you can't just run them over with your car with impunity, but they can be ticketed for jaywalking.
And the pedestrian can be deemed at fault and held liable for damages if any accident occurs in that situation.

Interestingly, on my commute home tonight I saw this situation sort of unfold in my neighborhood. Guy parked on a busy street, and just opened his car door and started crossing, almost exactly at the mid-point of the block. Two cars on my side nearly hit him, and he brought about panic braking on the other side of the street as he moseyed along. Even paused to give the honkers stink eye and the "U mad, bro?" shrug.

There are people on whom I wish a pox of Ebola of the penis. Not many, but they are out there.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I jay walk a lot, but i really feel that if someone is on the road outside of a crosswalk with a walk sign and get hit it should be treated the same way as if they were someone who frequently spent time around dangerous animals and ended up getting killed by a sting ray.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

We should cancel their show?
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Based on what I've heard over the years here, Pittsburgh and LA have the worst drivers and pedestrians in the country. You guys encounter a lot of wackiness that isn't part of my life in jersey.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

shmenguin wrote:Based on what I've heard over the years here, Pittsburgh and LA have the worst drivers and pedestrians in the country. You guys encounter a lot of wackiness that isn't part of my life in jersey.
Are you talking specifically about Troy Loney?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Idoit40fans wrote:
shmenguin wrote:Based on what I've heard over the years here, Pittsburgh and LA have the worst drivers and pedestrians in the country. You guys encounter a lot of wackiness that isn't part of my life in jersey.
Are you talking specifically about Troy Loney?
What on earth? I don't initiate traffic complaints. I only butt in on discussions where you all are endorsing death to bikers.
CrossIcePass
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by CrossIcePass »

count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

CrossIcePass.... how do you feel about bikers? Do you think they deserve to get hit if they're acting stupid?
CrossIcePass
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by CrossIcePass »

I don't care
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

okay folks... definitely not EPP
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

count2infinity wrote:okay folks... definitely not EPP
:thumb:
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

When people email me their resume in the form of a picture of a piece of paper from their iPhone. Who the **** doesn't submit resumes in Word format?
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

shafnutz05 wrote:When people email me their resume in the form of a picture of a piece of paper from their iPhone. Who the **** doesn't submit resumes in Word format?
You want resumes in Word? I hate getting them in a Word doc. PDF is the way to go.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

meow wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:When people email me their resume in the form of a picture of a piece of paper from their iPhone. Who the **** doesn't submit resumes in Word format?
You want resumes in Word? I hate getting them in a Word doc. PDF is the way to go.
PDF is fine too. Put it this way, I hate when people who don't know how to properly format, let alone craft a resume, send it to me in picture format. Then, I basically have to retype it to send to the client.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I would never send someone a resume in word format unless they told me to send it that way.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Along the same lines... a lot of classes have a large online portion here, and when I was teaching, I'd always get questions about question number ____. Well they're usually shuffled so I ask them to take a screen shot and send that to me so I can help them better. Then I get an attachment of a picture of a computer screen from someone's cell phone. Seriously? If you're 18 or 19, you grew up with a computer, you have no idea how to take a screenshot?
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

shafnutz05 wrote:
meow wrote:
PDF is fine too. Put it this way, I hate when people who don't know how to properly format, let alone craft a resume, send it to me in picture format. Then, I basically have to retype it to send to the client.
Ah, I see. Any resume I get that is a picture of a piece of paper immediately gets filed in the round file.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

ive never received a picture of a piece of paper for a resume
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

That can't be what's going on. Do you mean like a .jpg?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

i think it would be if someone took a picture with their iphone?