GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by MRandall25 »

The North Coast wheat beer I got is OK. The flavors seem fairly muted.

... well, I guess that's because it's kind of lying about what it is. It says "wheat beer" on the label (so I assumed it was a wit or weizen), but it's really a Pale Wheat Ale.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Are you already drinking?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I've been working on assignments for my HR Masters class. Figured I'd help myself out a little.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

shafnutz05 wrote:
count2infinity wrote:If people are looking for a good saison, give Ommegang's Hennepin a try. It's crisp at the back end, but not overly carbonated for my liking. It's really my go to when I want something with some Belgian funk, but not something darker like dubbels or quads.
I actually like Hennepin, so I guess I don't dislike all saisons.

Slappy, re: Ommegang, your opinion of their Witte (which is decidedly mediocre) is about the only thing I agree with you on. Ommegang Abbey Ale and Rare Vos are both world-class beers. I like 3 Philosophers slightly less, I suppose.
I said like their Rare Vos. I honestly can't remember if I had their Abbey Ale; is that part of their variety pack?

I view them as a good brewery overall, but at least personally, felt that the hype surrounding them wasn't as warranted as I'd hoped.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/this-i ... obharvilla" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not all of them, though. Firestone Walker is a great brewery that's not afraid to cheat the style guidelines a bit and sacrifice authenticity to serve the greater good of delicious beer. They do this with their way-hoppy Pivo Pils, which I hold against them because I happen to like the hop profile of more traditional pilsners. But I heartily approve of their hopped-up Oaktoberfest Märzen. Capricious!

It smells like regular old brewski, which is disorienting, considering Firestone Walker's innovative bent, reputation for barrel-aging, and inclusion of the word OAK right in the **** name! They are liars. I wouldn't be surprised if no one at the brewery had ever burned a rock or engaged in bipedal locomotion. Turns out the "oak" reference is an homage to their hometown of Paso Robles, which means "pass of the oaks" in Spanish. The beer's full given name is Firestone Walker Paso Märzen. Great. Fine.

That filthy trickeration aside, this is very good stuff. It opens with the traditional Märzen notes of sweet, lightly roasted molasses, then extends into apple and earth notes before the peppery kick of an apparently high dosage of Hallertau hops kicks in to lend the balance lacking in most Märzens.
Anyone had this?
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

slappybrown wrote:I've had Hennepin. Its fine, like most other saisons I've had, but not anything that I would search out or order consistently.

And if I am being honest, Ommegang doesn't live up to its rep for me. Three Philosophers is good, but not outstanding as its rep would indicate. Their Wit is mediocre. Their only beer that I really enjoyed and will order if I see it at a bar is Scythe & Sickle. That usually starts popping up around this time/early Oct.

Their Rare Vos is also pretty good.
Scythe & Sickle is about their only beer I won't drink... what a hoppy mess. On the other hand, I could live on 3 Philosophers and Abbey Ale.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Every Hofbrau beer I've had bought in a bottle tastes cheap. The Hefe I bought in my 6 pack tastes like Heineken tried to do a version. Just cheap.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

MRandall25 wrote:Every Hofbrau beer I've had bought in a bottle tastes cheap. The Hefe I bought in my 6 pack tastes like Heineken tried to do a version. Just cheap.
I agree. I don't really like their beer. It doesn't have enough flavor.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

If a beer says to cellar 50-55 and your basement runs at 70 degrees, does that matter or are you better off keeping it in the fridge? Not looking to age, but to store temporarily
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

If you're juat storing it, shouldn't really matter much. Light hurts beer, not temperature change like that.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Affligem dubbel. This is one darned tasty ale. Great red color, perfect sweetness. Despite me totally bollixing the pour and creating the yeast equivalent of Sea Monkeys in the stein.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Sweet Potato Ale
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Man, I love Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Dennis Hopper's favorite beer is being sold to a Russian company.
The maker of Pabst Blue Ribbon beer is being sold to Russian company Oasis Beverages for an undisclosed sum.

Oasis is buying Pabst with TSG, an investment firm known for its work with consumer products companies. TSG Consumer Partners will take a minority stake in Pabst.

In addition to its namesake beer, Pabst Brewing Co. makes Colt 45, Old Milwaukee and Schlitz, in addition to regional brews such as Lone Star, Rainier and Old Style. Pabst was acquired in 2010 by C. Dean Metropoulos & Co., which is known for investing in food brands, including Twinkie maker Hostess.

Pabst Brewing traces its roots back to 1844 in Milwaukee. Pabst Blue Ribbon in particular has also grown in popularity among people in their 20s and 30s in part for its blue-collar and retro appeal, as well as for its cheap price. Metropoulos has in recent years enlisted comedian Will Ferrell to market the company's beers.

Still, Pabst accounts for less than 3 percent of the U.S. beer market, said Eric Shepard, executive editor of Beer Marketer's Insights, an industry tracker. He also noted that many of the most popular beers in the U.S. are already owned by foreign companies. Anheuser-Busch InBev, which makes Budweiser and Bud Light, is based in Belgium.

In a statement, Oasis Chairman Eugene Kashper called Pabst Blue Ribbon the "quintessential American brand — it represents individualism, egalitarianism and freedom of expression — all the things that make this country great."

Kashper will serve as CEO of Pabst Brewing, which will keep its headquarters in Los Angeles.
http://money.msn.com/business-news/arti ... ocid=fbmsn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

JS© wrote:Dennis Hopper's favorite beer is being sold to a Russian company.
The maker of Pabst Blue Ribbon beer is being sold to Russian company Oasis Beverages for an undisclosed sum.

Oasis is buying Pabst with TSG, an investment firm known for its work with consumer products companies. TSG Consumer Partners will take a minority stake in Pabst.

In addition to its namesake beer, Pabst Brewing Co. makes Colt 45, Old Milwaukee and Schlitz, in addition to regional brews such as Lone Star, Rainier and Old Style. Pabst was acquired in 2010 by C. Dean Metropoulos & Co., which is known for investing in food brands, including Twinkie maker Hostess.

Pabst Brewing traces its roots back to 1844 in Milwaukee. Pabst Blue Ribbon in particular has also grown in popularity among people in their 20s and 30s in part for its blue-collar and retro appeal, as well as for its cheap price. Metropoulos has in recent years enlisted comedian Will Ferrell to market the company's beers.

Still, Pabst accounts for less than 3 percent of the U.S. beer market, said Eric Shepard, executive editor of Beer Marketer's Insights, an industry tracker. He also noted that many of the most popular beers in the U.S. are already owned by foreign companies. Anheuser-Busch InBev, which makes Budweiser and Bud Light, is based in Belgium.

In a statement, Oasis Chairman Eugene Kashper called Pabst Blue Ribbon the "quintessential American brand — it represents individualism, egalitarianism and freedom of expression — all the things that make this country great."

Kashper will serve as CEO of Pabst Brewing, which will keep its headquarters in Los Angeles.
http://money.msn.com/business-news/arti ... ocid=fbmsn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That right there is a Murderers Row of the worst 'beers' on Earth, and proof that the Devil exists.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

shafnutz05 wrote:Man, I love Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout.
Endorse.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

I didn't know they still made Rainier.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

Broke down and bought a case of Nosferatu... I do love this beer
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Consuming the remnants of my groundbreak stock. So good.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

So where in the 'Burgh can I buy quality beer glasses? I'd really like to add a snifter, tulip, goblet and chalice.

Hep me LGP brewdoggs...you're my only hope.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

JS© wrote:I didn't know they still made Rainier.

Mmmmmmmm
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Eismann wrote:So where in the 'Burgh can I buy quality beer glasses? I'd really like to add a snifter, tulip, goblet and chalice.

Good question. Can't help if you're looking to support local business.

If that's not the case, I got a tulip and snifter from Crate & Barrel that are solid glasses, but it's all about Spiegelau glasses. These babies are next up on my to buy list. Can't wait.

I have a Spiegelau tulip and snifter, and they are my go to. I have the IPA glass also, which is not a concern of yours, I realize, but it is a good glass.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I imagine that c2i uses an Erlenmeyer flask.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

I bought a couple of these. They're my go to glasses, but I wish they were bigger. 12oz fills them right to the top.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008NWTDS ... mdp_mobile" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Eismann wrote:So where in the 'Burgh can I buy quality beer glasses? I'd really like to add a snifter, tulip, goblet and chalice.

If you don't mind the beer brand on the glass, I know D's sells a few. They go for about $4-5/glass. As you're going back to the beer cave, they'll be lined along the right wall.