TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: TV Shows

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

eddysnake wrote: I love Sherlock and you can definitely see the similarities between the 2 production wise.
That's what I wanted to hear. I assumed from the level of fan-ishness, that Sherlock and Dr. Who were similar. Judging from Eccleston's Dr. Who, with farting aliens and whatnot, I was confused.

Definitely going to check out those Moffatt seasons.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

I'm a Tom Baker Dr. Who dude. Old skool Gallifrey, yo.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Not saying I'm at your mom's house, not saying I'm not.

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
eddysnake wrote: I love Sherlock and you can definitely see the similarities between the 2 production wise.
That's what I wanted to hear. I assumed from the level of fan-ishness, that Sherlock and Dr. Who were similar. Judging from Eccleston's Dr. Who, with farting aliens and whatnot, I was confused.

I really liked Eccleston, The Empty Child 2 part episode is one of my favorite Dr Who episodes.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Anyone watching Outlander on Starz?

It was recommended to us and the first episode seems a little slow at first.

Does it get any better? Or shouldn't we bother?
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

We are enjoying it. I didnt like the latest episode but overall its good. I would at least give the second episode a chance because i struggled the the first one as well.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

I'll give it a shot.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

Finished up The Blacklist first season and am definitely a fan.

Starting Luther now. Anyone here watch that?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Been thinking about Luther as well. Gonna finish Blacklist first. Gonna watch episodes 5 and 6 tonight.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

PensFanInDC wrote:Been thinking about Luther as well. Gonna finish Blacklist first. Gonna watch episodes 5 and 6 tonight.
I'm really glad I watched the blacklist, loved it.

So far I think I'm going to enjoy Luther. I typically like BBC shows.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

Chefpatrick871 wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:

I really liked Eccleston, The Empty Child 2 part episode is one of my favorite Dr Who episodes.
I tried watching this last summer. I thought the Eccleston season was pretty good, but lost interest about half way through the first David Tennant season. I was told that if I didn't like that, I probably shouldn't waste my time going forward. I finished that season, and haven't picked it up since. It has value, though. I can see why people like it, it's just not for me. Also, man that show has some annoying fans
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Turn is good, not great. It gets better every episode though so we will see. Finished the first 6.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

blackjack68 wrote:Anyone watching Outlander on Starz?
Is this based on the Sean Connery movie?
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Not at all.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Oh, wait that was just Outland. nm
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

PensFanInDC wrote:Turn is good, not great. It gets better every episode though so we will see. Finished the first 6.
I thought season 2 was occurring now...aparently they are just heavily advertising the reairing of season 1. Weird. I really enjoy that show.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

PensFanInDC wrote:Turn is good, not great. It gets better every episode though so we will see. Finished the first 6.
Spoiler:
I read some of the history the series is based on and it looks like Benedict Arnold will be a character in the future if the show lasts a couple seasons.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

If they want there is probably enough story to stretch Turn out to 4 or 5 seasons. They have barely scratched the surface of actual events.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

The Strain is back on the One-and-Done list. A couple weeks ago I put it on life support because of the "good guy" ninja vamps that were at the end of the episode... but it has been relatively boring again since. You just don't care about any of the characters so who cares if they die? Even the kids... Each episode will need to earn the next episode's watching.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Jim wrote:The Strain is back on the One-and-Done list. A couple weeks ago I put it on life support because of the "good guy" ninja vamps that were at the end of the episode... but it has been relatively boring again since. You just don't care about any of the characters so who cares if they die? Even the kids... Each episode will need to earn the next episode's watching.
Yeah really liked it when it started but it's awful. Really, really, really bad.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:
Spoiler:
I read some of the history the series is based on and it looks like Benedict Arnold will be a character in the future if the show lasts a couple seasons.
I did the same thing yesterday because I wanted to know if this was totally fictional or if they pulled from real events. Seems like they are being fairly accurate.
DelPen wrote:If they want there is probably enough story to stretch Turn out to 4 or 5 seasons. They have barely scratched the surface of actual events.
Agreed. I find myself wanting to see this show follow the entire war through victory.

It's interesting to see colonial/revolutionary America on film. To see the depiction of the heinous way the British treated the colonies is fascinating and kind of infuriating.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Those of you enjoying Turn, I recommend checking out HBO's John Adams miniseries from a few years ago. Based on Pittsburgher David McCullough's excellent book of the same name, it really is very well done. Also, Stannis Baratheon plays Thomas Jefferson, so there's that. Tom Wilkinson as a lecherous Ben Franklin too.
Green Eggs and Ham
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Green Eggs and Ham »

Another vote for the John Adams miniseries. It is on Amazon Prime.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Green Eggs and Ham wrote:Another vote for the John Adams miniseries. It is on Amazon Prime.
This will be where I turn (pun intended) when I am finished with season 1.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Also vote for John Adams. I have it on DVD, A+, will watch again. Book is excellent too, took it to Iraq with me and I should probably read it again.

Under the Dome:

Whooo, boy. Same stuff I always say, just a little quieter because no one cares.

Observation: If you're going to do a thinly veiled Relgion v. Science struggle, don't choose the journalist (designated skeptics by nature) to represent the side of God, mmkay? Also choosing the school teacher to represent Science is pretty **** when she's an annoying as hell and nobody could possibly like her.

Bigger forehead, Norrie v. Rihanna? Go.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

I liked about the first half or so of John Adams. I pretty much hated all the post war episodes tbh. The one in France or whatever was just bizarre, and I found him to be largely unlikable in the latter episodes.