TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Not saying I'm at your mom's house, not saying I'm not.

Re: TV Shows

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

Holy crap, episode 9! Wow.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Why did Halt and Catch Fire get renewed for a second season? More AppleFapping? The first season was okay but I can't see how it moves forward from here unless it spins completely off like Fargo/True Detective with a whole new scenario and characters. Maybe following Joe MacMillian up the mountain and seeing where that leads, but I don't see how it continues at Cardiff.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Watched first 3 episodes of Blacklist last night. We're hooked. Total suspension of disbelief is required but we watch Under the Dome so that's not tough.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

HoW....
Spoiler:
Wow. They seriously brought Elam back for THAT? Now I have loved the last season and a half, but this is just stupid. What a horrible, horrible plot that was.

I assume their end goal was to force Cullen to put him down and thus reignite something within him, but the way they went about it was poor. Even Cullen's grieving at the end irked me. It sounded... awkward and took me out of the moment completely.

I'm looking forward to the show picking back up after this, but wow... way to drop a deuce in the middle of an otherwise excellent season.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I'm glad I read that spoiler before watching the episode.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

started watching season 5 of Dr Who on Netflix. It starts with the 11th doctor and Steven Moffat (Sherlock) takes over as the shows producer and writer. As much as I enjoyed the earlier episodes, the first 5 have been amazing. It's been pretty dark and creepy.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I never got into Dr. Who because I don't understand where to find a good jumping in point. It's been going on forever and I feel like I'd be lost if I just started watching in the middle.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

dodint wrote:I never got into Dr. Who because I don't understand where to find a good jumping in point. It's been going on forever and I feel like I'd be lost if I just started watching in the middle.
you can start with the 11th doctor (season 5 - 2010) streaming on netflix. It's where Moffat took over as the showrunner and it's basically a reboot with the new dr. It would catch you up fastest to the current run. From what I've read, he does a pretty good job at filling you in on a few things that's needed, but because of the reboot, most of it is new going forward. I've watched some from the first 4 (after 2005) seasons and my new plan is to continue on from Season 5 until I catch up and then revisit the previous 4 seasons. Last night we watched an episode that apparently introduced a "villian' from a previous season, but we didn't miss anything by not watching that.

If you really want to, you can watch the 2 part finale from the 4th season that ends the 10th dr and introduces the 11th, but from watching the first 5 ep in season 5, it's not necessary.
Last edited by eddysnake on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Interesting, thanks. I'd ask my sister who is a huge Dr. Who junkie but I don't think I'd get quite as concise an answer. She painted her kitchen blue and her cabinets black because of Dr. Who, or something.

Also, she's having a ***** of a time selling her house.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

it's essentially the same character (doctor- a time lord) who reincarnates into a different body, so the entire storyline is continues, but it also is a good chance to reboot going forward. My wife actually had nightmares last night from the weeping angels episode we watched. Moffats style so far in season 5 has been awesome, it's been really well put together.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

[youtube][/youtube]
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Is all of dr who on netflix or something. I have been interested in checking it out.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Idoit40fans wrote:Is all of dr who on netflix or something. I have been interested in checking it out.

2005 to current. I don't think 60s through 80s are.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

eddysnake wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Is all of dr who on netflix or something. I have been interested in checking it out.

So going back to what you said before, if i just pick it up at 05, i'll be able to figure out what is going on?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

eddysnake wrote:

I think they all are actually
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Binge-watching The Walking Dead now. Most of the characters don't do much for me, but it's very entertaining.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Idoit40fans wrote:
eddysnake wrote:

So going back to what you said before, if i just pick it up at 05, i'll be able to figure out what is going on?
yes. It was revived in 2005, so

2005- 9th Dr (1 season)
2008-10 10th Dr (3 seasons)
2010-13 - 11th Dr (3 seasons)
Dec 2013 - 12th Dr (going on now BBC America Saturdays 9PM)

everything that I have read said start with season 5 (11th Dr-reboot for newcomers) and catch up to current. If you still like it after that, go back to season 1 (9th Dr) and fill in up to Season 5.
Green Eggs and Ham
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Green Eggs and Ham »

Gaucho wrote:Binge-watching The Walking Dead now. Most of the characters don't do much for me, but it's very entertaining.
I think the criticisms of TWD are largely overwrought. I have only watched it on the Netflix and waiting for the end of the month for Season 4 to pop up on the que.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

I'm totally burned out on the new Doctor Who. "Who cares"
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

I'm starting Turn
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I want to watch season 2 of turn, but its apparently not on demand on comcast. so annoying.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Why would it be? It won't premier till mid-2015.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Bazinga?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

OK, I watched half of the 2005 season of Dr. Who. Per the conversation above, I will probably move up to the fifth season.

The season I'm watch is OK, but it's a lot more campy than I expected.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

it's definitely different than most things I've seen before. I thought season 5 had a more serious tone to it, but the comedy is definitely still there. I can't really attest to the 10th dr seasons as I've mainly watched the 1st and 5th, but I think as the show got more popular so did the production. Looking back at the first, this appears to be the case with the 5th season by a large amount. I love Sherlock and you can definitely see the similarities between the 2 production wise.