Danny Gallivan Conf. Final: (1) California vs. (3) Toronto

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Danny Gallivan Conf. Final: (1) California vs. (3) Toronto

Post by mikey287 »

In this thread, please discuss the playoff matchup between: (1) California (http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB ... 4#p2791781" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and (3) Toronto (http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB ... 4#p2791827" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

They will face off in a seven game series that will be voted on only by the league's managers (asst GMs included) via a private message to me.

Please state your cases particular to this series regarding matchups, advantages, disadvantages, etc. - obviously, if you typed up some regular season notes about your team, they would be applicable here, but if you want to state that how your team would matchup well against your opponent, that would be encouraged.

Previously:
California defeated Columbus in 5: http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB ... 6#p2809090" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Toronto defeated Montreal in 7: http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB ... =6&t=64507" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In two days time (9/12), we'll have a vote to decide the series victor.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Danny Gallivan Conf. Final: (1) California vs. (3) Toron

Post by count2infinity »

The quick look, IMO:

Offense: Cali>Toronto
Defense: Cali<Toronto
Goalies: Cali=Toronto

I think California here has the better offense, but not only that, a more defensively sound offense than Toronto. A lot of the players on California are known (or at least underrated) 2 way forwards... that's why I drafted most of them, lol.

The defenses here are just flat out different. I think Toronto as a whole has more speed on D, I think Cali has more power and a better mix of veterans and young D. It'll be an interesting series to see how their young quick D handles the California forwards.

Goaltending is a wash IMO.

One thing that may need to be taken into consideration is the fact that Toronto had to go 7 games against a very tough Montreal team where California was able to be done in 5. I don't know for sure who that benefits... is California going to come in thinking they're skate by Toronto as well? Is Toronto worn down from the long series? Either way, it's an interesting match up and I look forward to other's opinions on the match.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

The first thing that jumps off the paper for California is obviously their top line but I think it's a little more bark than bite. While they're clearly going to be quite good defensively, I don't see that unit being an offensive powerhouse. Datsyuk has fallen a notch or three since his prime and he's no longer the dominant force he was a few years ago. Nagging injuries have slowed him down. Hossa is still a great two way player but he and Datsyuk didn't show great chemistry in Detroit, where Babcock ended up splitting the two in the playoffs. And I'm not 100% sure on Kovalchuk, but everything I've read about him was that he didn't play great last year and he certainly didn't light up the KHL as some expected. While this line will still likely be very productive, I think it's a much lesser threat than the Benn-Getzlaf-Pavelski line that we were able to contain survive in the last round.

Being able to roll out Taylor Hall on the second line is the real thing that concerns me about Cali's offense. I'll get into the individual matchups and my gameplan when I get time a little later.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

The matchups that I'm going to try to get whenever I can are mostly on the defensive side of things. I'm going to put my number one pair in Vlasic and Karlsson out there when Spezza's line hits the ice. Karlsson is more capable of handling Hall's speed flying down the wing and Vlasic will be his usual self with excellent positioning and stick checking. Karlsson is being tremendously underrated and I think he's going to really shine in this series. Sure he had a down year last year but he was 8 months removed from a torn achilles, was on a bad team, and he still scored 74 points. When he got a chance to play on a talented team in the Olympics he played exceptionally well and was voted the best defenseman of the tournament over Doughty. Karlsson was voted the best defensemen in the league just two years ago and I think he'll take another step forward from that level this year (both in the actual NHL and this league). California doesn't have the size on the forecheck to affect him like Getzlaf did in the last series so he should have more time to retrieve the puck and work his magic. Add in that the Seals also have a few player prone to taking penalties so we should have a good amount of power plays. An umbrella setup with Karlsson up top and Geno on the right wall feeding each other one timers should be able to keep Bishop moving and light the lamp quite a bit.

Malkin is going to be matched up against the the Seals' second line as well. None of Spezza, Hall, or Eberle have ever been accused of being lock down defenders. A 5 man unit led bet Malkin/Karlsson is absolutely deadly and should put the Seals on their heels and cause a lot of mistakes and missed assignments.

Fowler and Faulk will be used a lot against California's top line. Both of these players are better skaters than any of the 3 Seals and have the size to withstand the punishing forecheck Kovalchuk and Hossa will bring. Once again since both my middle two lines are capable of functioning as shutdown lines with puck possession prowess, I'm comfortable with either but ideally will be more of Koivu's. Zetterberg's is more talented and my second best line so freeing them up to an easier matchup should allow Zetterberg to dominate the play and create offense.

Johansen's line will get the leftovers and I think they can outmatch either of California's bottom two lines. The strategy will change a bit when leading or tied late. Zetterberg and Malkin's lines will switch matchups as Z will attempt to shut down the Spezza line and Malkin can run free against the bottom 6 and hopefully extend the lead.

California's defense is mobile but doesn't seem to have much shutdown capabilities. Goaltending is probably a wash, both are unexperienced in the playoffs but I think Bernier is more talented. My team has a lot of playmakers so we should be able to get Bishop moving side to side and so hopefully we'll catch him out of position/off his angle regularly.

Like last series I think my fate depends on Malkin, Zetterberg, and Karlsson. They all have favorable matchups and hopefully will be able to take advantage often enough to pull out the W!
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I'd be interested to see other's opinions on the match up... seems as though I like my team, Staggy likes his team (which is to be expected). Unfortunately I'm not much of an x's and o's match-up kind of guy. If you ask me why I like each player on my team, I could certainly tell you.
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

count2infinity wrote:I'd be interested to see other's opinions on the match up... seems as though I like my team, Staggy likes his team (which is to be expected). Unfortunately I'm not much of an x's and o's match-up kind of guy. If you ask me why I like each player on my team, I could certainly tell you.
I'd be happy to give my unqualified one. :P

There are multiple ways to look at it, for me at least. Cali has the best line, hands down. Kovalchuk/Datsyuk/Hossa is still incredibly strong, despite staggy's attempt at the contrary (haha). I don't think Fowler/Faulk can handle them. However, I do think the Elias/Koivu/Callahan will at least hold them off a bit, making their stamp on the series a bit lighter. Hall/Spezza/Eberle is quick, but I do think Vlasic/Karlsson can handle them; that defensive line can handle quick lines, but not tough groups IMO. Marchand/Richards/Foligno is the toughest line in the series, and will do work. Unfortunately, Toronto does not have a single line to match up against; they'll frustrate Malkin, but Zetterberg will have free reign if so. Toronto's wingers are not as strong (I'm not a huge fan of Nichushkin on the first line or Perron/Little; I think they're a soft line as well), but their centers are better than mine.

Defensively, both teams have a very strong first line, so that's a wash.I REALLY like Karlsson's offense, but Subban is very close. I think Vlasic is better than Seidenberg. However, I rate Shattenkirk less than most, so I prefer Toronto's bottom 4 even though Jones will be exposed this series.

Goaltending is also a wash for me; I'm not a fan of any of the goalies. Bishop had a really strong year, but I think he'll fall back to earth a bit this year. Bernier will be good, but I'm not sure he can handle California's offense.

It's a really close series with a lot of offense; I don't think Toronto'd defensive capabilities are as strong as staggy said they are (I really like Zetterberg & Koivu; the wingers, again, not so much). Will be much more fun of a series to watch than mine, haha.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

Hey I'm the GM, I have to put a positive spin on things that even I don't totally believe lol
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Can I get two more votes here...? Last call is today.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

My bad, I thought I had sent my votes a few days ago.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

carolina will win
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:carolina will win
that's a weird way to spell california...
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

sooooo... i won right?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Sorry guys, I got tied up, so unfortunately, I won't have time for a lengthy write-up like the other series. That will return for the Final. But I shouldn't delay this any further.

This was the closest vote yet. It was the thinnest of margins. If it were a write-up, it would go to the overtime of the 7th game.

Ultimately, Toronto captured the series in 7.

Three stars: Marian Hossa, Erik Karlsson, Evgeni Malkin
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Again, color me surprised by this outcome. I was prepping a post on how to handle the stacked St. Louis team in the finals. Oh well, we still have the nhl 14 simulation championship to play for. Lol