Need some help with young NHL player mentors on teams

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Need some help with young NHL player mentors on teams

Post by FLPensFan »

I'm applying for a writer position for a hockey blogging site. For the topic I was given for my application, I am trying to come up with a few examples of young NHL players (preferably non-US or Candian, but still looking at all of em) that had NHL vets and fellow countrymen come in and really help them adjust. This isn't the main focus of the article, but a sentence or two in this area would be beneficial to the piece.

Malkin had Gonchar, Jagr had Jiri Hrdina....but I really don't want to overuse the Penguins in my examples for the article. If anyone has a few good examples of a young rookie coming in and have a vet brought in specifically to help that guy adjust, would appreciate the references.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Need some help with young NHL player mentors on teams

Post by mikey287 »

Tough to find a vet actually brought in just for a rookie these days, I feel...but the Stars brought in Sergei Gonchar after drafting Valeri Nichushkin. They don't live together as far as I know (Nuke lived with a different family, non-player) but Gonchar is helping him with American culture and the language (Nuke did not speak any English really) and he translates for him during interviews and things...not to mention on-ice stuff...

I'll think about this over the course of the day further...
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

mikey287 wrote:Tough to find a vet actually brought in just for a rookie these days, I feel...but the Stars brought in Sergei Gonchar after drafting Valeri Nichushkin. They don't live together as far as I know (Nuke lived with a different family, non-player) but Gonchar is helping him with American culture and the language (Nuke did not speak any English really) and he translates for him during interviews and things...not to mention on-ice stuff...

I'll think about this over the course of the day further...
Thanks, mikey. It doesn't need to be current. Just trying to think of situations over the past 10-15 years or so where this occurred as a reference.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

It seems most common with goalies and some would argue that was Vokoun's role.....but you're probably thinking of much younger players.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

TBL brought in Ohlund to mentor Hedman.

One could also point out the now almost ubiquitous practice of rookies living with vets, which I believe started with Sid and Mario.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

columbia wrote:It seems most common with goalies and some would argue that was Vokoun's role.....but you're probably thinking of much younger players.
Yeah, more of the young 1st rounder type coming over from another country very early. Going back through some drafts and looking at players, I'm wondering if Mattias Ohlund and Victor Hedman might fall into this category.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

You could talk about the swedish culture in detroit.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I can't for the life of me remember who Mario lived with after the draft. I remember watching clips of him playing NES with the family but a few quick searches some up empty. It was in the The Magnificent One documentary that came out in the early 90s but I don't have a copy anymore. I don't think it was a player, but someone from the front office.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I think a french canadian working their way into the culture is going to be a little lost this far removed from them having problems.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

dodint wrote:I can't for the life of me remember who Mario lived with after the draft. I remember watching clips of him playing NES with the family but a few quick searches some up empty. It was in the The Magnificent One documentary that came out in the early 90s but I don't have a copy anymore. I don't think it was a player, but someone from the front office.
Yeah, I remember that too, but it was a family, not a player.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The Hedman example and possibly the Detroit Swedishness (trademarking that term) is probably enough. Thanks for the help.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Tomas »

Jagr took Petr Prucha to live with him in New York:
I’D GO FOR FIVE SONS

How do you like New York?

I can compare three cities: Pittsburgh, which is my second home, and we have been keeping a house there until these days. Even now I can go meat shopping, and my friends always laugh: “Yeah, we know that the best meat used to be in Pittsburgh…” I miss that city.

And then you moved to Washington…

…and I really did not like it there. It’s a political city, a lot of homeless people around the White House, concrete barriers, even the hockey [players] weren’t a coherent group, so Jaromir had there his worst times of his career.

And present New York?

I heard once, that it’s the city that never sleeps, and it true – even at midnight you run into crowds of people. Personally, I’d prefer a more quiet place for living. Pittsburgh.

Are you in New York often?

I go there only for visits, but then I have a lot to do. I take care of the boys, because Jaromir took his teammate Petr Prucha to live with him. I don’t mid – since the Pittsburgh days, I have been used to seeing the guys [at our place]; they came from a training camp, one was laying in a couch, the other was watching TV, Straka, Slegr, Lang… I would not have minded having five sons.

If Jaromir is by himself for some time, how messy does his place get?

Last time I arrived and I saw both Jaromir and Petr sleeping. I peaked into an empty fridge in the kitchen, so I immediately ran to do grocery shopping, and I cooked some food… And when those two woke up, Prucha said “How long will you be there?” So I replied “Petr! I just arrived and you want me to leave?” But that young boy said something pleasant “I just want to know for how long we will have food on our table and a clean place.” So he is somewhat of a slob, too. At least Jaromir isn’t like that alone.

http://letsgopens.com/tomas_translations.php?id=59" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;