Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

I think Gary Schultz is on my flight to Ireland.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:I think Gary Schultz is on my flight to Ireland.
Have fun in Ireland. I'll be DVR'ing the game as I will be out of pocket all day.

PS - hope Freeh is ok. Want him alive and healthy to face the consequences of his actions. (Spanier suit)
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

Anyone else finding it slightly humorous that the NCAAs new policy on handling sexual abuse is exactly what Penn State did in regards to this whole mess?
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

http://www.centredaily.com/2014/09/04/4 ... dbook.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Great post from Steven Fink about PSU's handling of the scandal.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I'm utterly shocked that he's an alumnus.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

columbia wrote:I'm utterly shocked that he's an alumnus.
I'd be surprised if anyone that didn't have some sort of attachment to the university would be as well informed as he is. Most people are very ignorant on the subject. :pop:
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:
columbia wrote:I'm utterly shocked that he's an alumnus.
I'd be surprised if anyone that didn't have some sort of attachment to the university would be as well informed as he is. Most people are very ignorant on the subject. :pop:
Unfortunately, a few key people didn't have the luxury of ignorance
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Unfortunately you still believe they knew more than they did.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Sam... just stop. They knew enough.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Penn State continues to fight requests for records. This time between Freeh and Ron Tomalis. Tomalis recently resigned from his position over evidence that he was a ghost employee.

http://triblive.com/mobile/6758976-96/s ... sity-freeh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Penn State continues to fight requests for records. This time between Freeh and Ron Tomalis. Tomalis recently resigned from his position over evidence that he was a ghost employee.

http://triblive.com/mobile/6758976-96/s ... sity-freeh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
this means nothing in relation to...
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Unfortunately you still believe they knew more than they did.
I think (and correct me if I'm wrong shmenguin), he's talking about the administration and people that could have done something earlier. You make it sound like the administration had zero idea anything was going on.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

Shouldn't we just put this all behind us now? I mean fighting the supposed injustice done to PSU.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

The fact is that what they actually knew hasn't been determined yet.

I've argued these details before but so far the evidence that they knew Sandusky was a pedo is based soley on the testimony provided by McQuery of the one incident in 2001. McQuery's testimony has not always been consitent and he has further deviated from the details in the grand jury indictment in emails and comments to the public (GJI says rape; he has stated he cannot be sure he saw anything; only heard noises he assumed to be rape.) Of course this testimony also somewhat differs from testimony provided by Paterno and McQuery family friend Dr. Dravanov. Schultz, Curley, and Spanier's testimony completely differs from McQuery. Of course all of this testimony is based on events that occurred 10 years earlier so I'm sure everyone remembers exactly what happened and to the detail. Not to mention that Paterno's testimony was likely influenced based on conversations with the prosecution and McQuery prior to his grand jury appearance.

McQuery was considered so credible by the jury in the Sandusky case that of all of the charges against Sandusy, the only ones that did not result in a conviction were the ones related to that event.

Regardless, the incident was reported to the Second Mile, which was also a mandated reporter and per the law the only real mandated reporter considering Sandusky was not an employee of PSU at the time of the 2001 incident. There is also the written testimony of an individual claiming to be victim 2 who stated that nothing inappropriate occurred in the shower that night.

The evidence that Paterno and Spanier knew about the 1998 investigation are limited to some vague emails found by the Freeh investigation that were not even authored by either party. Regardless there is no evidence that PSU influenced the investigation and the DA at the time decided not to indict Sandusky mostly due to the fact that the PA Dept of Public Welfare wrote a report that stated that Sandusky was not a pedophile.

I also take anything found by Freeh to be extremely questionable. For one, the PA Pension System overturned its decision to withhold Jerry Sandusky’s pension because they relied on the Freeh Report and found it to be 85 percent inaccurate regarding this issue. The examiner then called into question the veracity of the entire report. In fact, Freeh has produced several reports found to be structurally deficient and complete reputation destroyers: Richard Jewel/Atlanta bombing, Okada/Wynn Resorts, FIFA, and Wen Ho Lee, to name a few. Further, the Penn State Freeh Report has not been viewed as a credible document by a single legal expert who has reviewed it to date. Among other criticisms, Freeh did not have subpoena power with those he queried, and failed to even meet with or interview the central figures of the case: Paterno, McQueary, Curley, Shultz, Baldwin or Courtney.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Factorial wrote:Shouldn't we just put this all behind us now? I mean fighting the supposed injustice done to PSU.
My understanding is some potential truth will exonerate paterno and the guys on trial. but unless those remaining alive are subjected to some sort of lie detector test, i don't understand how this truth can be uncovered. So pushing for some unattainable truth seems to be a failsafe plea.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

SDG, you make it sound as though no one had any idea that anything had occurred. It's all some grand scheme to take down PSU. I guess I just don't get it.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

count2infinity wrote:SDG, you make it sound as though no one had any idea that anything had occurred. It's all some grand scheme to take down PSU. I guess I just don't get it.
Agreed, and this is what I was referring to.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

count2infinity wrote:SDG, you make it sound as though no one had any idea that anything had occurred. It's all some grand scheme to take down PSU. I guess I just don't get it.
I don't think there was a grand conspiracy to take down PSU, but I think some people capitalized on the Sandusky scandal to make a name for themselves (NCAA, media, and prosecution) or to grab positions of power (Corbett and BoT). Others were swept up in the moral outrage. Do yourself a favor and read Jay Paterno's book. You won't get all the answers there but you'll better understand what happened and then hopefully you'll want to research what happened further. Of course the full story isn't out there for anyone, but there is a lot of information that isn't being reported in the media.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

count2infinity wrote:
I think (and correct me if I'm wrong shmenguin), he's talking about the administration and people that could have done something earlier. You make it sound like the administration had zero idea anything was going on.
affirmative.

there are simple facts that are what they are. i don't care about the NCAA sanctions and the Freeh report and all that. the simple facts that are objectively true are the ones that are the worst. and they're all about a lack of ignorance.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Forgive me, but I think Jay Paterno's book should be the last place someone needs to go for anything having to do with this subject
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

DudeMan2766 wrote:Forgive me, but I think Jay Paterno's book should be the last place someone needs to go for anything having to do with this subject
not necessarily... it is just his own viewing of how the situation went down. Many opinions can be brought together, and his is from the point of view of Joe's kid. Also, from what I've heard it doesn't really deal directly with only the Sandusky stuff, it has a lot of other stuff to it as well.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

shmenguin wrote:
count2infinity wrote:
affirmative.

there are simple facts that are what they are. i don't care about the NCAA sanctions and the Freeh report and all that. the simple facts that are objectively true are the ones that are the worst. and they're all about a lack of ignorance.
The simple facts are possibly incorrect because they come from an incomplete and flawed Freeh report and a Grand Jury Indictment that is a one-sided exaggerated report whose sole purpose is to obtain an indictment not exactly tell a fair full story of what actually occurred.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

they came from that...and full admission by the relevant parties
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

shmenguin wrote:they came from that...and full admission by the relevant parties
Can you direct me to the "full" admission you are talking about? Are referring to Paterno's often twisted quote of "With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more."? He was saying that if he had known that Sandusky was a pedo he would have done more.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

i don't have anything new to say that we didn't cover last time around other than this...people who keep banging the drum you're banging aren't exactly gaining credibility as time passes.