Danny Gallivan Conf Semifinal (1) California vs (4) Columbus

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Danny Gallivan Conf Semifinal (1) California vs (4) Columbus

Post by mikey287 »

In this thread, please discuss the playoff matchup between: (1) California (http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB ... 4#p2791781" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and (4) Columbus (http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB ... 4#p2792595" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

They will face off in a seven game series that will be voted on only by the league's managers (asst GMs included) via a private message to me.

Please state your cases particular to this series regarding matchups, advantages, disadvantages, etc. - obviously, if you typed up some regular season notes about your team, they would be applicable here, but if you want to state that how your team would matchup well against your opponent, that would be encouraged.

In two days time (9/5), we'll have a vote to decide the series victor.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Danny Gallivan Conf Semifinal (1) California vs (4) Colu

Post by count2infinity »

I think this match up is really two high powered offenses and two okay, but not necessarily defensively sound defenses. But I think California's offense is a good bit better and I think California's defense is better. Neither team has a goalie that in my mind is going to steal games. That's really the best argument I've got for my team... their team's strength is similar to our team's strength, but we're better at it.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

TBD wins
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Advantages: California is better
Disadvantages: Columbus is worse
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

I'll give this the same insight I gave the other one. I voted California in 5.

I do think, in terms of offense, this would be a great series to watch, like c2i said. Both defenses are pretty susceptible, with only California having a duo with grit (Seidenberg/Subban). Columbus has holes (IMO) defensively in every pair - Yandle, Byfuglien, Schultz. Cali has adequate defense that will struggle with a bigger team: Lucic will run amock in this series and even possibly injure Shattenkirk or Campbell.

Offensively, Cali is also stronger for me. The Euro line is ridiculous, with Kovalchuk having room to focus on offense with two defensively sound players. I don't really trust a Hall/Spezza/Eberle line in the playoffs, but without a punishing opponent, I think they will do well this series. Marchand/Richards/Foligno is a very well-designed line, I think, but the 4th line seems like a hodgepodge that can fill in for injuries in the other lines. For Columbus, I really like their first line because I highly rate Landeskog. Their second line is very similar. However, their 3rd line has a great defensive forward in Fisher... and two forwards that I wouldn't necessarily trust defensively (especially Radulov). The fourth line doesn't fully make sense to me either.

In terms of goaltending, both teams are pretty weak, IMO. I've mentioned my concern for Bishop before, and I feel the same way for Varlamov. Lots of goals in this series.

Coaching is a wash for me too. Sutter's good, but this team is not a team suited for him. Conversely, Roy is also good but not quite ready for playoff strategies (like how Bylsma ended up getting overwhelmed), in my probably-wrong opinion.

Each game'd probably something like 6-4, 5-3, etc. I just think that Cali will be able to score more.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

so... did I win?
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

count2infinity wrote:so... did I win?
I think Iceland won every series
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Iceland ain't even getting out of the first round.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

meow wrote:Iceland ain't even getting out of the first round.
them fightin' words

we'll let MRandall's simulation pick the real winner
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

hey... HEY! Take it to your own thread fellas.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

so happy that other conference has to wait until this conference finishes up. They'll be rusty by the time we get to them.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

First the best, then the rest.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

The tone was set for the series right off the opening faceoff in game 1. Pavel Datsyuk went forward off the opening faceoff and went on the attack. It took all of 12 seconds for the powerful Datsyuk-Hossa duo to convert. Pasha would add two more assists in the game as California thumped Columbus in a game 1 win.

Two nights later, California would complete the home dominance with another convincing win. Pavel Datsyuk was stellar at both ends of the ice. P.K. Subban put on a flashy show for the green and gold home fans. Subban, donning his bright white skates, skated circles around some of the slower forechecking wingers. One rush in particular left Milan Lucic spiraling, embarrassed. Subban capitalized on the power play with a one-time cannon that registered on the Richter Scale.

The series moved to Ohio, where Columbus would exact some revenge. Steven Stamkos, looking to make a postseason name for himself, had his best game of the series. Two goals and one assist, and even the assist, was a near-solo effort that Landeskog slammed into the bag. Semyon Varlamov, who was touched up early in the series, made 44 saves in shutout effort to bring the series close again.

Hoping to capitalize on the momentum from a convincing game 3 win, Columbus jumped out in the middle portion of the first period when Steven Stamkos power play goal broke the ice. Later in the period, he setup Landeskog for another marker, but it was wiped from the record as Landeskog was rung up on an interference rap. The ensuing power play saw Datsyuk dish out some sweet sauce to the cocked-and-ready stick of Ilya Kovalchuk who rang the red bar before turning on the red light.

The later stages would become the Taylor Hall show. He torched the remedial Dustin Byfuglien and former teammate Justin Schultz with headlong rushes. Hall was a pipe-rejection away from a natural hat trick in the third. Bishop had a strong performance as the game wore on, but Jaden Schwartz got to him in the last minute to dampen his stats a bit.

In game 5, the Columbus crew looked damaged. Taylor Hall would perforate Varlamov early on with a tally, but Varly was magnificent the rest of the way despite a porous defense that left much to chance. Martin St. Louis would pot one in the middle stanza to even the contest, but the shots were lopsided and the ice was tilted. Varlamov stood his ground and kept the game within reach. On the other side, Ben Bishop was injured early in the 2nd period but was able to return in the third. Gibson made 11 saves in relief, including a four-shot sequence that was capped with a robbery of Phil Kessel that left him shaking his chins in his dismay. Datsyuk had hogtied and pickpocketed Steven Stamkos for most of his unproductive shifts.

With just moments to go before overtime took flight, Mike Richards scored out of a net-mouth scramble to put California up for good. Varlamov was inhibited by a sliding Jake Gardiner, and was unable to get a paw on the fluttering puck. It was the difference maker, it was also the 52nd shot of the tilt for California.

Game 1: Cali 6-2
Game 2: Cali 4-1
Game 3: CBJ 4-0
Game 4: Cali 4-2
Game 5: Cali 2-1

California wins in 5.

Three stars: Pavel Datsyuk, Semyon Varlamov, Steven Stamkos
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

great write-up mikey. Really enjoyed it.