Canaan's thread of NPR chaos.

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Canaan's thread of NPR chaos.

Post by PensFanInDC »

Teams that ice the puck can only use one center to make the ensuring faceoff. If that player attempts to get kicked out of the faceoff to buy his team time, he'll get a two-minute delay-of-game penalty.
Very bad idea.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

PensFanInDC wrote:
Teams that ice the puck can only use one center to make the ensuring faceoff. If that player attempts to get kicked out of the faceoff to buy his team time, he'll get a two-minute delay-of-game penalty.
Very bad idea.
why? watching a guy casually glide into the circle, intentionally cheat in order to get kicked out, and then glide out of the circle is one of the most frustrating parts of watching a game - even if it's malkin doing that about 90% of the time.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

I think it's too much at the discretion of the linesman. If it isn't a linesman's call then it would be a referee's call and he has a worse view of the infraction. There is too much of a gray area in "If that player attempts to get kicked out of the faceoff to buy his team time" for me personally. I'm all for fixing that problem, and it is a problem, but I don't know the best way to do it. This very well may be it.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

it's right up there with... "ohhhh, there's something wrong with my stick, better skate slowly to the bench and get a new one... oh, it was icing and my teammates are gassed? I had no idea. My bad."
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Where is the line between "attempts to get kicked out of the faceoff to buy his team time" and legitimately jumps the faceoff?
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

PensFanInDC wrote:Where is the line between "attempts to get kicked out of the faceoff to buy his team time" and legitimately jumps the faceoff?
I feel like it is fairly obvious 99% of the time.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

I'm guessing instead of kicking out, it will be a quick warning and then go. Last year it was jump, replace, go and if the 2nd guy jumped it's suppose to be a penalty. They are just cutting out the kick. I can't imagine it's one and done.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

meow wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:Where is the line between "attempts to get kicked out of the faceoff to buy his team time" and legitimately jumps the faceoff?
Do you mean that 99% of the time its obviously the ref forgetting that people are there to watch the players? If so, i agree.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

meow wrote:

The wording "embellishment" will be changed to allow an escalating scale of fines to repeat-offense players and coaches.
refs have to work on consistency before the league deals with anything else in regards to embellishment. Too many times I've seen a player flop and nothing get called and then a few minutes later there would be a legitimate fall or something and they would call embellishment.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Embellishment has to be reviewed to exact proper punishment. I'm not talking about minors and drips and drabs...but actually rooting it out of the game...you review embellishment and you impose escalating penalties...but the review panel needs to be a ref or someone that has done review of officials like Stephen Walkom, and a former player or two...so maybe let Stephane Quintal, Stephen Walkom and maybe someone from the competition committee (former?) like Kay Whitmore...

I can tell you from non-NHL experience, it is difficult to call diving even at lower levels...some cases are more obvious than others, as with anything...but it's a tough call to make a game-changing call on (which might be construed as a standalone minor or more to some, depending on their taste)...people always look at 10 slo-mo replays and go, "why do they assign a trip and a dive there!" - well, it's a tough call at live speed...

I'm not in favor of the eye in the sky idea, but if there was an implementation for it, it would be for this...
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Idoit40fans wrote:
meow wrote:
Do you mean that 99% of the time its obviously the ref forgetting that people are there to watch the players? If so, i agree.
People are there to watch the players, which is why stalling the game to catch your breath goes against why most people go to games - to see goals. Some winger that takes one faceoff every 3 games comes gliding into the dot after an icing and jumps before the linesman is even crouched should be penalized.
sniper
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by sniper »

meow wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
meow wrote:
People are there to watch the players, which is why stalling the game to catch your breath goes against why most people go to games - to see goals. Some winger that takes one faceoff every 3 games comes gliding into the dot after an icing and jumps before the linesman is even crouched should be penalized.
Just make it a penalty to the team that commited the icing if their guy is deemed to cheat on the faceoff. Not if he intentially tried to do it to buy time. Just if he did tried to cheat at all. It's a penalty. Problem solved.

For the guys who have an issue with their stick...you can go to the bench and get it fixed if you want, but you won't be out for the faceoff. Once you go to the bench you can't come back out for the draw. You stay there and your team plays short handed. So either goalies will start having lots of equipment malfunctions or players sticks will suddenly not have problems.

The diving during play is harder because everything happens quickly. It almost has to be reviewed by a committe after each game. Fine the player AND team/coach. Start making the coach/team financially responsible for that crap and watch how fast that goes away.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

[youtube][/youtube]

Skip ahead to 7:30ish for the main event. Lemieux's goal is just a thing of beauty.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, flick
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

I really miss him...
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

http://www.bakersfieldcondors.com/news/ ... on-nov-16/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Excellent.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

I don't wanna wear a puffy shirt.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Crosby's 1st game on NHLN. Almost over.

Fun to see who's where. Paul Martin QBing NJ's PP, Konstantin Koltsov, Tarnstrom, and of course, Mario.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

1-5.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Not saying I'm at your mom's house, not saying I'm not.

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

MRandall25 wrote:Crosby's 1st game on NHLN. Almost over.

Fun to see who's where. Paul Martin QBing NJ's PP, Konstantin Koltsov, Tarnstrom, and of course, Mario.
I was at that game. Tough to watch but was pleasantly surprised that the Devil fans I sat near were pretty cool people.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

That was the last game my whole family watched together.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=730165&cmpid=nhl-twt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

List of new NHL rule changes.

Potential notables:
Rule 24 – Penalty Shot

The 'Spin-O-Rama' move, as described in Section 24.2 of the 2013-14 NHL Rule Book, will no longer be permitted either in Penalty Shot situations or in the Shootout.
Rule 38 – Video Goal Judge

Video review will be expanded in the following areas:

* Rule 38.4 (viii) has been modified to allow broader discretion to Hockey Operations to assist the referees in determining the legitimacy of all potential goals (e.g., to ensure they are "good hockey goals"). The revised Rule will allow Hockey Operations to correct a broader array of situations where video review clearly establishes that a "goal" or "no goal" call on the ice has been made in error. The new expanded rule will also allow Hockey Operations to provide guidance to referees on goal and potential goal plays where the referee has blown his whistle (or intended to blow his whistle) after having lost sight of the puck.

* In reviewing "Kicked in Goals," Hockey Operations will require more demonstrable video evidence of a "distinct kicking motion" in order to overrule a "goal" call on the ice, or to uphold a "no goal" call on the ice.
Rule 57 – Tripping

The rule relating to "Tripping" will be revised to specifically provide that a two minute minor penalty will be assessed when a defending player "dives" and trips an attacking player with his body/arm/shoulder, regardless of whether the defending player is able to make initial contact with the puck.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Rule 64 – Diving / Embellishment

The supplementary discipline penalties associated with Rule 64.3 (Diving/Embellishment) will be revised to bring attention to and more seriously penalize players (and teams) who repeatedly dive and embellish in an attempt to draw penalties. Fines will be assessed to players and head coaches on a graduated scale outlined below.

I don't like the lightness on the diving/embellishment. At a certain point more that $5,000 should be the punishment. Start docking games.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

Don't like the tripping change, don't like that shots tipped out of play will result in the face-off still in the O-zone, really don't like the implication that the whistle will be reviewable in some form regarding goals.