TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: TV Shows

Post by columbia »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:much like Jon Hamm's will be next year.
Which would kind of bug me. Not because I think he's a bad actor - I generally don't have an opinion on that - but because his character is so uninteresting, in an otherwise quality program.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by knives of ice »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Yeah, I don't see Breaking Bad's wins as unearned, but they were certainly "body of work" awards, much like Jon Hamm's will be next year.
while i understand what you are trying to say, the last season of breaking bad was perhaps the best and every award based on that season was well deserved in my opinion. very few shows go out on such a high note.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

I'm not sure it's a given. You'll probably have whomever is the lead in True Detective again, plus others as well (Spacey, Daniels? Do they have another season?). Everyone thought Steve Carell was a shoo-in for the "lifetime achievement" award, so-to-speak, and that never materialized.

As much as people can complain about the Oscars, the Emmy's have a much more questionable track record.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

columbia wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:much like Jon Hamm's will be next year.
Which would kind of bug me. Not because I think he's a bad actor - I generally don't have an opinion on that - but because his character is so uninteresting, in an otherwise quality program.
I've never heard this claim.

He's THE cog on that show. And not just because of circumstance. He and his character earned it.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

how can i watch the knick on cinemax without cinemax
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

"Arrrrgh....Shiver me timbers."
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

dodint wrote:Paul Reubens is getting a multi-episode story arc on The Blacklist this season. He was good enough in Blow, should be fun.
He can call himself anything he wants but every time I see him in a scene he'll be Pee Wee Herman. He'll always be Pee Wee Herman.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

stopper40 wrote:
dodint wrote:Paul Reubens is getting a multi-episode story arc on The Blacklist this season. He was good enough in Blow, should be fun.
He can call himself anything he wants but every time I see him in a scene he'll be Pee Wee Herman. He'll always be Pee Wee Herman.
Today is his 62 birthday. That seems hard to believe.

Happy birthday Pee-Wee!

Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I watched all of season 3 and started 4 of HoW in the last week or so. So good.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

I made darn sure that I was not just caught up on my work but ahead of schedule for this week. 50% of the company is in Prague until September including all executives and my immediate boss. Needless to say I have lots of free time...

...so I watched the entire final season of The Office in 2 days. Gotta say the show came back to it's form that season and it ended nicely.

Now what the heck am I gonna watch?
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

PensFanInDC wrote:I made darn sure that I was not just caught up on my work but ahead of schedule for this week. 50% of the company is in Prague until September including all executives and my immediate boss. Needless to say I have lots of free time...

...so I watched the entire final season of The Office in 2 days. Gotta say the show came back to it's form that season and it ended nicely.

Now what the heck am I gonna watch?
I thought the series finale was great. How they handled Michael's return was great.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Under The Dome:

We talked last season about how the production value of this particular show is sub par compared to something you'd find on AMC/HBO. Some of it is budget I'm sure, especially since it was supposed to be a one time summer series. But a lot of it is laziness/stupidity. For instance, who is cutting the grass for all the lawns inside the dome and the ones outside the dome in the containment area? They've been in there for more than three weeks and the lawns inside and out are freshly cut. Do you think the landscapist for CBS rides around on a lawn tractor wondering what the production team is thinking? You actually have to go out of your way to be wrong here. It sounds like a nitpick but do you think a critically acclaimed series like Walking Dead would do that? I'm not a Walking Dead fan, but do the abandoned properties there look exactly as they did when they were left?
Spoiler:
So, you killed Angie off for no reason at all, Sam? I'm glad Britt Robertson is back in the show doing flashback/premonition stuff because the writers owe her big for killing off one of the few half-decent characters for a plot line that ended up fizzling out five episodes later.

Why bring the techno nerd all the way to the red door and then try to send him back when security is banging on the hatch? No kidding he's coming, don't be dumb. At least now I'm less enraged by the new characters since they actually have an origin.

I will say that I'm looking forward to seeing how the town reacts to people coming and going, and how the Rennie family is going to deal with being reunited.

I hate Pauline. The whole thing was basically her fault and she's dragging her feet to get into the dome? I hope Jim chokes her to death.
This website gets it. lol, egg detector.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

So did Tony Soprano die in the last episode?

http://www.vox.com/2014/8/27/6006139/di ... e-sopranos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TL;DNR version
Spoiler:
No
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/20 ... p=features" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Full House baby!
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:So did Tony Soprano die in the last episode?

http://www.vox.com/2014/8/27/6006139/di ... e-sopranos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TL;DNR version
Spoiler:
No
Oh yeah? Well these matches say you're lying:
Spoiler:
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:So did Tony Soprano die in the last episode?

TL;DNR version
Spoiler:
No

Shorter version without all the oversized photos/graphics.

http://uproxx.com/tv/2014/08/sopranos-c ... he-finale/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Well then. The sopranos just got a little worse, all these years later.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Pretty sure James slammed that door shut before Chase could have his moment.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Finally watching the HoW S4 premiere. Got interrupted with 24 minutes left though.

Last Ship closed really, really strong. And a LONG wait until June 2015...

Falling Skies - hope the two hour finale on Sunday saves the season, as it has not kept up with Last Ship.

Legends - gave this a chance through two eps but not really sure about this one.

The Strain - great turn at the end of the most recent ep. Had suffered some slow ones.

Drunk History - actually watched Tuesday's ep of this. Quite funny with more serious actors pantomiming what the drunk actors are saying about the sports heroes they were talking about.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

relantel wrote:The Strain - great turn at the end of the most recent ep. Had suffered some slow ones.
Agree. The last 3 minutes prevented it from being removed from me DVR queue. It gets at least 1 more week.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

I saw a mention of "The Mind of a Chef" in the "How do you like your eggs?" thread, so I figured I would give it a watch. A little more than halfway through the first season and its a very good, very interesting show, but it's given me horrible cravings for ramen.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

That show has "oh god I want to eat that" down to a science. The ramen at the golden pig in Cecil is pretty tasty if you want to satisfy that urge (if you are in the area)
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

So I see Ali G is coming back to TV.

Meh.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Isn't it just repeats of the original run of the Ali G show?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

blackjack68 wrote:So I see Ali G is coming back to TV.

Meh.
The one where he goes to the veterinarian and keeps asking him questions about his military service is fantastic.

"Do you even know what a farm is?"

"Well, apparently it's a rubbish zoo."