LGP Science Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: LGP Science Thread

Post by Grunthy »

welp. found my reason to not go to Sichuan...
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Imagine a swarm of those. Right now. In your house.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

I won't sleep good for a week now
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

the wicked child wrote:Image
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

page won't open, could someone please post a picture of this thing
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Looks like a flying JTOR.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

The extinction set the stage for the modern world, Butler notes. Although one lineage of dinosaurs survived as modern birds, mammals began their rise only after the dinosaurs were out of the picture. ”That may never have happened if dinosaurs had never gone extinct,” says Butler. ”It think it's very likely that if the asteroid hadn't hit, we would still have dinosaurs around today.”
:scared:

http://www.nature.com/news/dinosaur-kil ... me-1.15616" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Imagine how different history would have been...

[youtube][/youtube]
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

[youtube][/youtube]

so cool...
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 145618.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My brain hurts
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Cool stuff. I don't find myself worrying too much about that sort of stuff as it'll never really apply to anything in my lifetime, but I suppose that goes with the territory of being a chemist/materials scientist. Those mathletes, physicists and astronomers are awesome for doing this kind of work, and it always leaves me saying, "Huh... that's pretty cool."
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

I know some of those words.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

While totally possible, I still think they're looking past the obvious. The math really doesn't require a black hole in a fourth dimensional universe. I tend to believe that the Big Bang was/is being fueled by past/present/future black holes in our own universe.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

Willie Kool wrote:
While totally possible, I still think they're looking past the obvious. The math really doesn't require a black hole in a fourth dimensional universe. I tend to believe that the Big Bang was/is being fueled by past/present/future black holes in our own universe.
Any reason to back up that belief?

This is one of those papers that will be picked up by pop-sci sites, spun to generate a few web hits, and largely disregarded by the general cosmology community.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
Willie Kool wrote:I tend to believe that the Big Bang was/is being fueled by past/present/future black holes in our own universe.
Occam's Razor. If we don't need unobservable multidimensional universes to explain something, why go there? That said, I do find string theory fascinating and actually quite intuitively appealing, so I'm not really opposed to their conclusion.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

See your name (or other message) in celestial lights!

http://www.mygalaxies.co.uk
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Article from Associaton of Certified Fraud Examiners regarding Scientific Fraud, the motivations committing it, and some recent examples.

http://www.acfe.com/fraud-examiner.aspx?id=4294984697" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by obhave »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Article from Associaton of Certified Fraud Examiners regarding Scientific Fraud, the motivations committing it, and some recent examples.

http://www.acfe.com/fraud-examiner.aspx?id=4294984697" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One way to prevent the fraud from happening is to rid the science community of the culture that the quality of your work is only based on the amount of papers published. Amount of publications leads directly to tenure positions and also grants. Its hard to get grants without high publication rate. It not only leads to fudging of numbers, but also publishing before reproducibility is established. The culture also leads to people publishing 4 papers that should really only be one paper. That just adds to the overwhelming amount of literature out there.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

U.S. Air Force Solicits Information on New Rocket Engine
http://www.spacenews.com/article/milita ... ket-engine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So the Air Force is opening solicitations for a new rocket engine to replace the RD-180 for the Atlas V. The current engine is made in Russia, and relations have been a wee bit frosty of late. Congress is also floating bills to fund a replacement engine. What frosts my Wheaties about this is that the Atlas V is not owned by, built by, or directly funded by the Air Force or the U.S. Government. It's built by ULA (United Launch Alliance), which is supposed to be an independent company. If ULA runs out of engines, then that's supposed to be ULS's f***ing fault. And there are other options to the Atlas V, including the Delta IV from the same company and also the SpaceX Falcon 9, which by the way never received a billion dollars from Congress to pay for its engine development. This would be similar to Congress appropriating money so that General Motors could engineer a replacement for the Malibu while at the same time telling Ford, Honda, etc. to go pound sand and pay their own development costs.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

ULA is a joint venture between Boeing and Lockheed-Martin. It's a just a way for Congress to help their buddies in the military industrial complex.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Shyster wrote:And there are other options to the Atlas V, including the Delta IV from the same company and also the SpaceX Falcon 9, which by the way never received a billion dollars from Congress to pay for its engine development.
You're right..... they only got half a billion from NASA.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

tifosi77 wrote:
Shyster wrote:And there are other options to the Atlas V, including the Delta IV from the same company and also the SpaceX Falcon 9, which by the way never received a billion dollars from Congress to pay for its engine development.
You're right..... they only got half a billion from NASA.
SpaceX developed its engines in-house with private money. It's true that NASA is paying SpaceX under the COTS program for flights to the ISS, but that's different than funding SpaceX's development costs up front. The Merlin 1 engine was developed entirely with private money. And NASA and the Air Force not only pay ULA for each launch, they also subsidize ULA's fixed costs to the tune of over $1 billion per year, supposedly to provide “assured access to space.” SpaceX receives no subsidies.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

SpaceX, Tesla and to a lesser extent SolarCity all operate on a similar model; get people to pay up front to help defray development costs. The engine was developed with private equity, the launch vehicle was not. Their payments from NASA amount to short-term interest-free loans from the government (or in the case of Tesla, directly from car buyers). No, they do not get subsidies the in the manner of ULA. But they are still almost entirely dependent upon government contracts at this stage.

And don't get me wrong - I extol Musk's ability to get other people to fund his companies as a virtue. I think that's his real innovation, actually.

And COTS is no more. Wrapped up late last year when SpaceX and Orbital Sciences completed their program goals.
Last edited by tifosi77 on Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

Willie Kool wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:
Willie Kool wrote:I tend to believe that the Big Bang was/is being fueled by past/present/future black holes in our own universe.
Occam's Razor. If we don't need unobservable multidimensional universes to explain something, why go there? That said, I do find string theory fascinating and actually quite intuitively appealing, so I'm not really opposed to their conclusion.
These theories exist because we DO need them to explain things. How do you explain exact values like the cosmological constant or the mass of the Higgs without the multiverse theory or SUSY? Not sure how that deduction is a valid application of Occam's Razor.