GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by MRandall25 »

BigMcK wrote:Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat. Wow, what a truly nasty beer. BevMo had a six-pack on sale for $6.99, and having seen enough TV spots of how much history goes into this brand -- and how everyone just loves this beer, I went for it. Fail. There are five unopened ones still in the 'fridge. If anyone wants one - or five, help yourself.
I believe I've had this once. It tasted like Fruity Pebbles
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Had a North Coast Scrimshaw Pilsner last night. Pilsners really aren't my thing, but this wasn't bad
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Had the pleasure of trying Dogfish Head's Robert Johnson Hellhound On My Ale last night. For comparison, I used a chilled pint glass and slightly chilled goblet. The beer poured into each was of a deep orange / yellow golden color with very white thick laced head. The smell from the goblet was more pronounced and had a very faint citrus smell. The pint really muted the citrus smell, but it was still present. What was missing from both glasses was a fresh hop aroma. The malt really overpowered the hops.

The first taste from the goblet revealed, again, a very slight citrus taste, limited hops, and huge malt. The chilled pint glass had more hops in the flavor and zero citrus, but again, huge malt. I am wondering if the brewers that made this decided to add the lemon peel last-minute not knowing why or what the flavor would be when completed, or maybe to cut through the dominant malt flavor?

This beer packs 10% ABV, but the alcohol is not hot on the tongue and sneaks up real quick. It is a big beer, very malty, low in hop flavor and smell, with the citrus added in the fermentation process serving no purpose except to tease the senses. They should have left the citrus out. A definite winter warmer.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Just saw a post from Hop Farm about the city approving Hoptoberfest and to save the date 9/27. Anyone else hear anything about this? I am intrigued and may already be in town that weekend.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Went to the Shadyside Market Districk. No Randy :frownieface:

Anyhoo, picked up a Quadro Tritcale from the Stone and its Stochasticity Project. I don't have much experience with quads, but this seems pretty good. Not minding the fruit pop as much since it's fairly well balanced against the malt. Seems like it could use a touch more body, though.

Haven't found it on the bottle yet, but would like them to nod to Kirk-era Star Trek which had an episode where the Enterprise needed Quadrotritacle for its engines or something.

#oldTV
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I was extremely underwhelmed by that Stone quad. Pick up an Ommegang Three Philosophers or something like that. Stone should stick to hops.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

the wicked child wrote:I was extremely underwhelmed by that Stone quad. Pick up an Ommegang Three Philosophers or something like that. Stone should stick to hops.
I'm reluctant to try Ommegang based on other experiences, but I don't think I've had that one in particular, so may give it a shot. Beer Advocate also rates TP very highly.

And, Abt 12 is the king, on that I agree with BA.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Eismann wrote:
the wicked child wrote:I was extremely underwhelmed by that Stone quad. Pick up an Ommegang Three Philosophers or something like that. Stone should stick to hops.
I'm reluctant to try Ommegang based on other experiences
Of their signature beers, the Witte is the only one that is extraordinarily meh
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Abt 12 > Rochefort 10, IMO

Need to try a westy some day
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

shafnutz05 wrote:
Eismann wrote:
I'm reluctant to try Ommegang based on other experiences
Of their signature beers, the Witte is the only one that is extraordinarily meh
I've just found most of their others are not in my style. Nothing wrong with them, because they seem to be pretty highly regarded. I just expect more hop/bitter fruit than I'd care for. Troegs is like that too, and their Troegenator is pretty highly rated dbock.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Yeah, Ommegang definitely has a bitterness to it which I know you have a very low tolerance for.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

shmenguin wrote:Abt 12 > Rochefort 10, IMO

Need to try a westy some day
I agree with the Abt over the 10, and I like the 10 a lot.

Randy said that Westvleteren is impossible to get in the US. I've really not looked, so any leads?
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

You all are discussing a style that I have never spent much time tasting. I have had Delirium Tremens a few times and found it to be too carbonated and too much malt. Very bloating. Do most Trappist Ales fall into my limited findings?
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

BigMcK wrote:You all are discussing a style that I have never spent much time tasting. I have had Delirium Tremens a few times and found it to be too carbonated and too much malt. Very bloating. Do most Trappist Ales fall into my limited findings?
They tend to be more carbonated, yes, but even that varies in my also limited experience. I did like the Tremens, but probably wouldn't want to drink more than one in an evening.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

Troegs Hopknife Harvest IPA is amazing. Very tasty.

New Holland's Ichabod Pumkin s now in stock, gotta grab a case this weekend
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

It pains me to see people not enjoying Ommegang and Delirium.

And agreed, Hopknife was very tasty... had it at the beerfest.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

I haven't had a bad experience yet with Ommegang. I especially enjoy their witte. I'm already planning a B&B getaway in cooperstown to see the brewery.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

three philosophers is ok. but it's not really in the same class as other beers of that style that are available right down the isle in the imports section.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

eddysnake wrote:I haven't had a bad experience yet with Ommegang. I especially enjoy their witte. I'm already planning a B&B getaway in cooperstown to see the brewery.
I did that this past spring... it was awesome.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Sigwolf wrote:
eddysnake wrote:I haven't had a bad experience yet with Ommegang. I especially enjoy their witte. I'm already planning a B&B getaway in cooperstown to see the brewery.
I did that this past spring... it was awesome.

you do a hotel or B&B?
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Quad streak continues. Picked up a bb of Gulden Draak 9000, along with some Celebrator.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Two new to me beers for this weekend:

Westbrook Maerzen (semi-local, as it's from Charleston)
Allagash Tripel Reserve (It's labeled with a batch number and is presumably different from the one that gets a 93 on BA?)

I'm probably not going to wait until tomorrow to have the latter.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

columbia wrote:Two new to me beers for this weekend:

Westbrook Maerzen (semi-local, as it's from Charleston)
Allagash Tripel Reserve (It's labeled with a batch number and is presumably different from the one that gets a 93 on BA?)

I'm probably not going to wait until tomorrow to have the latter.
Is the Westbrook a German marzen rauchbier style? I had one a while back, the Aecht Schlenkerla, which was a unique experience to say the least. Smoked lager, indeed.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

It's an Octoberfest style, but not smoked...but I have had what you're talking about.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

columbia wrote:It's an Octoberfest style, but not smoked...but I have had what you're talking about.
I honestly didn't care for it, which is somewhat surprising considering I like strong dark smoked stuff (insert weed lulz here). Just too smokey for me.