Dispersal Draft Game - Discussion Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Dispersal Draft Game - Discussion Thread

Post by mikey287 »

Any information is good information. Most of us aren't NHL coaches I have to believe...no one is expecting to know intricate details...defend the players, how they fit into the general framework of what you envision, and then we'll have some healthy debate about how the matchups go and then that'll be it. No need for a whole discourse on changing your 2-1-2 swing to a passive 1-2-2 when you get a 2+ goal lead on the road...
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Yeah youre going to be possession, counter attack, bunker. I know what those things are. I dont know how to describe much more detail than that. Naming a base formation doesnt tell you much anyway. In practice plenty of people call something a 2-1-2 and someone else calls the same thing a 1-2-2. The first and second hald 08-09 penguins are a great example of things like this. I dont think anyone in the organization would say they left the base 1-2-2 but plenty of people were arguing that Bylsma turned it into a 2-1-2.

I guess the point i want to make is i was just trying to get an idea whats going on. Look at tortorella's different teams. You cant just assume a coach is playing their system. These should be the best 12 coaches, they are going to coach to their team, not force a system into place no matter what.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

Should I mention that I'm developing set plays, including the "flying V"?

Also, how did Metallurg and Iceland end up in different divisions?
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I am not much of an x's and o's guy when it comes to hockey either, so if you're looking for that, i'll ask you to interview my coaches.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:Should I mention that I'm developing set plays, including the "flying V"?

More information, the better.

Random.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

mikey287 wrote:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:Should I mention that I'm developing set plays, including the "flying V"?

More information, the better.

Random.
In this case, I think less information would be better. I think I could defend the flying V with 2 guys.
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

So in the roster thread, someone brought up a critique of my second line (currently Marleau - Bergeron - Kesler), saying that Kesler seemed out of place. This is actually something I've been considering for a while. I currently have Kesler on that line to make it a complete shutdown line of Bergeron & Kesler, with Marleau taking advantage of the space the two will open up. However, I've been considering switching him with Stepan on my third line (currently J. Staal - Stepan - Read). Stepan is not that great at faceoffs, while Bergeron & Marleau have that aspect on lockdown already. So, my questions...

1) Would that switch make sense? A Staal - Kesler - Read line is a hell of a grinder line, and is also a great shutdown line. This way, Staal & Kesler can share faceoff duty there and really strengthen it. (I, uh... I may have just convinced myself by typing that out.) However, putting both Marleau & Stepan on the second line kinda takes away from the defensive / physical capability of that line. Also, Stepan has never really played wing, whereas all of the other out-of-position players I have on my roster at least have experience in their new places. A Marleau - Bergeron - Stepan line does not really fit with the style of my team, though that may be a good thing.

Since I don't have an assistant GM, was hoping to get another opinion or two. However...

2) This is the main reason I am asking this: in light of the fact that it was a critique, am I allowed to make that shift? I'm not sure if the rosters're in lockdown mode yet since roster discussion is ongoing, or if I can switch out. I'm guessing I can, since the add/drop period was also going on Monday and the voting isn't until later this week. However, I wanted to make sure so I can understand how roster changes go from now on. I don't want to make it as, "Oh, this is a perceived weakness? Let me fix that, even though I already had the chance," or something.

I realize it's not that serious or anything, but I kinda wanted to use this as a springboard to understand how the roster changes will occur during matchups & such.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Definitely make the change if you feel the need. Rosters change over the year anyhow, in reality. I like your original choice over the alternative (Kesler down a line), if I had to pick though. Stepan doesn't play wing and that change wouldn't make the second line better in my opinion.
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

K. Just wasn't sure how we were handling the rosters when it comes down to the voting portion, if we were locking it down for that period or not.

Note: I swapped Bergeron & Stepan. Makes it Marleau/Stepan/Kesler (a more dynamic & offense-oriented line that suits both Stepan & Marleau better, IMO, while still maintaining the defensively responsible mantra of the team), and Staal/Bergeron/Read (a line capable of completely shutting down the opposition).

Still a work in progress, but that's the current change.