Hawks Fans Petition -

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
suzinpgh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Hawks Fans Petition -

Post by suzinpgh »

Hockey has a lot of wonderful traditions that deserve to be upheld. This is not one of them.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... 40158.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Hawks Fans Petition -

Post by dodint »

*yawn*
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Looking at that title...i think if they want to clean up the experience, get rid of the obviously casual fan pandering catchy goal song. Boo hoo.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

The eye candy along with loud music is why we are stuck with POWERPLAAAAAAAY style PA announcers. Let the game be the showcase and get rid of the fluff.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

I would want that as my theme music, as long as they handed me a mic before I shoot.

"What I would like to have is for all you fat, out of shape, Chicago sweathogs, to keep the noise down while a real man takes his shot.

Hit the music!"
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

Or they can add music for the other contestants. Play the "Hey Song" for kids and "Relax" for the men. Offend everyone. 8-)
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

They could offend everyone just by playing "Lady of Spain"
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:They could offend everyone just by playing "Lady of Spain"

MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

If I ever do this and they play anything other than Pantera's "Walk" I will sue them for everything they have.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

THe Pens need to ban Cotton Eye Joe... blah!!!
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

They need to play the song when a hot woman comes up yet show the scene of the guy stripping in SlapShot. Best of both worlds.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

This petition is embarrassing. Good lord I really hope i never meet somebody who is offended by this song.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

Mr. Colby wrote:This petition is embarrassing. Good lord I really hope i never meet somebody who is offended by this song.
I disagree. Very nice to meet you. :)

I don't know your history, Colby, and wouldn't presume to. But I suspect you have no personal experience with being unnecessarily and inappropriately demeaned and objectified--in school, in sports, in the workplace, and on the street--based on your gender. I do.

Why didn't the 'Hawks play the song for guys? After all, male strippers and dancers exist. Ahhh, you know why.

Like columbia said, in this context, the sport itself should be the feature.
Last edited by Lt. Dish on Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

Jim wrote:THe Pens need to ban Cotton Eye Joe... blah!!!
I agree with this. :D
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Because they're specifically putting an attractive girl there for an obvious reason. one who is likely planted. Everyone knows whats going on including the people who are pretending to be offended.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

Idoit40fans wrote:Because they're specifically putting an attractive girl there for an obvious reason. one who is likely planted. Everyone knows whats going on including the people who are pretending to be offended.
Idoit, I'm not pretending to be offended. Just because a girl is attractive--planted there or not--doesn't justify perpetuating the larger social issue.

If it means anything, I'm disappointed in the Kim Kardashians of the world who play in. Maybe that's them knowingly working the system. I don't know. But if I were called on to play "Shoot the Puck," I, being my older and wiser self :wink:, would ask they not play the song and politely decline to participate if they insisted. If it's all staged, then it could be discussed off-Jumbotron.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Im not speaking about you or anyone specifically, but you arent the one who started this movement. I would wager that better than 9 out of 10 people the seem outraged are doing it for show. Most people that are actually bothered by something just avoid it.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

Idoit40fans wrote:Im not speaking about you or anyone specifically, but you arent the one who started this movement. I would wager that better than 9 out of 10 people the seem outraged are doing it for show. Most people that are actually bothered by something just avoid it.
OK, that's fair.

Also, I agree that there are some who live their lives according to "Take the mic! Act hurt! Get indignant!"
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

Lt. Dish wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:This petition is embarrassing. Good lord I really hope i never meet somebody who is offended by this song.

I don't know your history, Colby, and wouldn't presume to. But I suspect you have no personal experience with being unnecessarily and inappropriately demeaned and objectified--in school, in sports, in the workplace, and on the street--based on your gender. I do.

Why didn't the 'Hawks play the song for guys? After all, male strippers and dancers exist. Ahhh, you know why.

I apologize, I didn't mean to offend you... and you're right i do not have any experience being objectified.

My opinion is that the whole thing the Hawks are doing isn't meant to be offensive, I think they're just trying to be funny. But I guess if people take offense they have the right to let everybody know.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

Mr. Colby wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:

I apologize, I didn't mean to offend you... and you're right i do not have any experience being objectified.

My opinion is that the whole thing the Hawks are doing isn't meant to be offensive, I think they're just trying to be funny. But I guess if people take offense they have the right to let everybody know.
It's OK, Colby. The Blackhawks, not you, originated the offense, just to be clear. I also am aware that my personal experience adds to my offense at the 'Hawks' joke. BTW, I didn't mean to level an indictment on you or lamely attempt to elicit any guilt. So, I'll return the apology if I came off in that manner. :fist:

Speaking of joke, I agree that the Hawks were probably just trying to be funny by spicing up (no pun intended) the in-game entertainment. But throughout history, groups that have established the social rules have also been the head writers of the jokes that reflect and reinforce the rules. Some female Hawks fans may have been offended for as long as that shtick was going and thought it better not to rock the boat. (It's another discussion altogether why that thinking would prevail, for however long, and whether or not it aggravates the original issue.) So, now someone decided that rocking the boat was worth it, and I applaud the Hawks for being willing to listen, to address the concern seriously, and to respond to it.
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pressure=9Pa »

Isn't Chelsea Dagger (the goal song for Chicago) also about a stripper? I don't remember many of the words, but I thought that was who Chelsea was.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

pressure=9Pa wrote:Isn't Chelsea Dagger (the goal song for Chicago) also about a stripper? I don't remember many of the words, but I thought that was who Chelsea was.
The use of the term Dagger originates from the Scottish for a person of loose morals and the song is about a high class prostitute in the Chelsea area of London.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_Dagger" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

Hell is probably Chelsea Dagger on eternal repeat. There are few songs that come to mind that are more blatantly annoying.