Dispersal Draft Game - Discussion Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Dispersal Draft Game - Discussion Thread

Post by pcm »

I'm hoping we vote on each conference: pick 4 teams in an LGP poll from each. The 4 teams with the most vosts get into the postseason for head to head action.

We could use the SIM for tiebreakers.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Another day, another jersey:

SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

Nice work man
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

Another pick?
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:Another pick?
he has to learn the names of the people that he's considering to pick.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

took ya long enough... geesh.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Sorry about that. Baby is sick.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Read this, please. At least the bulleted points...

Open for discussion, but this generally how I've done these types of things in the past...feel free to opine...

Please note though, I will not support any simming agent for anything but novelty. As I've seen EA Sports hamhandedly hand out ratings as if they wouldn't know a puck from a schmuck...

Steps:
- Conclude draft. We're almost there, just a couple picks left each.
- There will be a time to form rosters. Upon the completion of rosters/lines/etc. there will be a time for vetting, challenging, complimenting, contemplating, defending, explaining and other present participles...that is what the Roster Thread will morph into. There will be criticism in this thread but in the spirit of the game.

Ex. Let's say we did an All-90's Draft and someone had a defense of Ozolinsh-Leetch, K.Hatcher-Housley, Woolley-Duchesne...well, it would be right to seriously question how many goals they are going to give up per shift...it is a noted weakness and it could not be covered reasonably by coaching. Now, this is an obvious one, but let's make a fair evaluation. Similar situation, and someone has a team of Desjardins-Stevens, Murphy-Samuelsson, Konstantinov-Jonsson...you could note the lack of overall Norris support for these players but how balanced the pairings are and what great hockey sense, mobility, defensive structure, hitting, and yada yada yada that this group has...they might cover a weak goalie slightly (depending on coaching, forwards, etc.), or they might cover a little better for a top line of Hull-Janney-Jagr. You see where I'm going with this...

And on the flip side, be prepared to defend your selections in a constructive manner. We are voters, voters are reading, you ought to sell your team without over-selling it. If there's a need for further examples, I'll be happy to lambaste and then defend my own team so people can get a better idea if necessary...

- After this portion is complete (let's give it about a week or ten days so discussion can carry, if it continues we can extend it, if it doesn't we can cut it short a bit...but that is an important part of the process). We will have a public vote to decide regular season standings. I may seek outside opinions to also vote if the LGP does not provide enough sample size.

Top four in each conference will make the playoffs. The others will go no further, but be encouraged to follow the thread as they will be voters during the playoffs.

FAQ: What Conference am I in? (this was created pre-draft)

Foster Hewitt Conference:
Hartford
Iceland
Los Angeles
New York
St. Louis
Seattle

Danny Gallivan Conference:
California
Carolina
Columbus
Magnitogorsk
Montreal
Toronto

- The playoffs will then commence. 1v4, 2v3 in each conference. We will see how the teams matchup. The two GMs will submit their defense of their club and constructively attack the other and what weaknesses they will exploit. Peanut gallery is welcomed and encouraged to chime in. At the conclusion of discussion, I will ask that all GMs (minus the ones participating in this particular series) submit a vote of the team that they believed won and in how many games. These votes will be tallied and the winner will move on, where the process will repeat once more to decide the champion.

If there is no strong opposition to this plan, consider it the procedure going forward. In the mean time, feel free to discuss, ask questions, opine in various ways or completely ignore...

For those worried about time, this is not War & Peace you're writing here. You drafted players that you know, you know why you drafted them, you know why you selected the coach you did, and should have at least a reasonable grasp of how the game works. It won't take you but a few stream of consciousness minutes to put up a good showing for the team that you built. And it will make the game and process much more fulfilling with more participation...plus, what the hell us could you possibly be talking about on this board right now?
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

really considered Harding as the back-up, but the health concerns are too much to overlook.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

I figured since it was just 1 season and I'm in good shape with Rask as my starter that Harding would work.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Yeah... Rask is going to get the workload there.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Like both goalies a lot, and Gardiner.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Kinda surprised Kadri fell this far. Interesting skill set on him. I can't decide if he is the smartest dumb player or the dumbest smart player. Definitely a polarizing player.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I mentioned Kadri to randall a while back and his exact word, I believe were, "no way in hell." :lol:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

meow wrote:Kinda surprised Kadri fell this far. Interesting skill set on him. I can't decide if he is the smartest dumb player or the dumbest smart player. Definitely a polarizing player.
I'd probably go with dumbest smart player.

Feel like he's great value this deep in the draft and he won't be in the lineup everyday so, why not?
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:
meow wrote:Kinda surprised Kadri fell this far. Interesting skill set on him. I can't decide if he is the smartest dumb player or the dumbest smart player. Definitely a polarizing player.
I'd probably go with dumbest smart player.

Feel like he's great value this deep in the draft and he won't be in the lineup everyday so, why not?
Plus he can play all three forward slots.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

He's a dunce. But he does have some talent. If he's your 13th or 14th forward, hell, even on your fourth line, he's not a problem at this level in my opinion. Skillset belongs, head doesn't. But you could say that about more than a few players selected already.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

hehe....dunce
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

I was torn between Mason and Smith for my back-up role. I had to flip a coin to decide.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

count2infinity wrote:I mentioned Kadri to randall a while back and his exact word, I believe were, "no way in hell." :lol:
You also suggested him fairly early in the game, like before (or right after) we picked Kovalchuk.
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

Smith is, IMO, Lehtonen-lite. Great puck mover to support my defense, and has the ability to singlehandedly win games. However, is very streaky & prone to lose games as well. By having Smith as a backup, I can play him when he's hot, but let Lehtonen carry the bulk of the games. Also won't have to switch my strategy whatsoever with him in (vs. Lehtonen).
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

No wonder Laich has a lot of groin injuries
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

meow wrote:I was torn between Mason and Smith for my back-up role. I had to flip a coin to decide.
Surprised you took a right glove goalie. I've heard some pretty derogatory things from you regarding the "backwards" goalies...
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

mikey287 wrote:
meow wrote:I was torn between Mason and Smith for my back-up role. I had to flip a coin to decide.
Surprised you took a right glove goalie. I've heard some pretty derogatory things from you regarding the "backwards" goalies...
I have something in store for him...just wait.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Trade him for a bag of pucks?