Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by shafnutz05 »

I generally reserve bad public reviews for instances where I've received flippant customer service, outright rudeness, or been completely ignored. If it's a busy night/honest mistake/etc, I'll always give it another try.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

You don't owe them anything and I don't think anyone is saying you do. It just happens to be, at least IMHO, the right thing to do; to try and help correct what is wrong. If you ran a business would you not want to know why your customers were unhappy? You would probably want to know what was wrong so that you could fix it.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

shafnutz05 wrote:I generally reserve bad public reviews for instances where I've received flippant customer service, outright rudeness, or been completely ignored. If it's a busy night/honest mistake/etc, I'll always give it another try.
In my instance I was completely ignored on a dead night. I don't want to put a bad public review out until I give them a chance to fix what is wrong.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Well, that's kind of the point tho. Without customer feedback, how are they going to know what they need to improve? They'll just see that business is dwindling and spin their wheels.

Restaurants live and die by the reputation of their service: A restaurant with mediocre food but outstanding service will outlast a restaurant with Michelin-quality food and terrible service. I like to eat at places that offer good food. If I go to one that's convenient to me, but their service was lacking, I have a vested interest in the restaurant improving. Service improves, I now have a new option in the rotation. That's a win for me.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

My wife is the worst with restaurants... if we go there and we have a bad experience, we never go back. Never give it another try. It's very frustrating as she should know (former waitress) that servers have off days, not all servers are created equal, some cooks are better than others, etc. If I have a bad experience, I like to give the restaurant the benefit of the doubt and try again later. Usually 2 bad times, I just don't go back and give a bad review somewhere online which explicitly explains why the bad review was given.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

My issue with the wheels thing was that I told them what system my skates had, he acknowledged that they were Hi-Lo wheels and went into the back of the store to get the wheels. Comes back with a bag of wheels and rings them up in a hurry, as he was already pushing us out the door at 5:50 because they close at 6pm. I pack the bag away and go home to NC, unwrap them and I have eight 80mm wheels. Now I can't return them because I'm 500 miles away. Normally I'd just write off the 'error' because I'll just burn off the wheels anyway, but the fact that he demonstrated the knowledge and still brought the wrong wheels and then rushed us out the door was enough for me to actually write a review. I'm happy to write positive reviews as well, when warranted, such as RateMyProf or AViewFromMySeat.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

count2infinity wrote:My wife is the worst with restaurants... if we go there and we have a bad experience, we never go back. Never give it another try. It's very frustrating as she should know (former waitress) that servers have off days, not all servers are created equal, some cooks are better than others, etc.
Hah, yeah. My wife was a server as well (and I a cook/manager) and she is the harshest critic of food service. I think because she took it seriously she thinks everyone *should* and when they don't she wants to burn their tip. I've only ever not tipped once in my life, and it was at that Dennys outside of Columbus.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Cookies that are impervious to milk. On occasion, I like me some vanilla-crème cookies (like vanilla Oreos). I also like to dunk them in milk so that they soften up some. I think a lot of people do that. So if your cookies are functionally waterproof, you should have to mention that on the package. I bought some Keebler Vienna Fingers that were on sale, and I swear these things have been Scotchguarded. I did an experiment when I put three of them in a bowl of milk, set a timer, and ate them at two-minute intervals. The six-minute cookie was still just as completely crunchy as the two before it. They also floated like Ivory soap.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

count2infinity wrote:My wife is the worst with restaurants... if we go there and we have a bad experience, we never go back. Never give it another try. It's very frustrating as she should know (former waitress) that servers have off days, not all servers are created equal, some cooks are better than others, etc. If I have a bad experience, I like to give the restaurant the benefit of the doubt and try again later. Usually 2 bad times, I just don't go back and give a bad review somewhere online which explicitly explains why the bad review was given.
A friend of mine is a Sous Chef, if we hang out and go to a restaurant, she is the worst critic of the food, the presentation and service. I was a server and bartender for a few years, while there's no excuse for bad service, it does happen occasionally, I'll go to a place a couple of times before I'll write it off because of the service. Now there's been a bar or 2 that I've been a regular and been friends with most of the staff and so get the occasional perk for being a regular but as a regular sometimes you have to put up with being ignored and not so great service so other customers can get waited on.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

The solitaire game on my phone has one of 2 tones it plays whwn you win. One is triumphant, the other is kinda there. I get annoyed when it picks the latter.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

Going north on 79 yesterday from Southpointe towards Bridgeville. Going 75 in a 55 in the passing lane, passing a rig that was probably going 68. Everything good, right? Apparently not according to the dink in the white pickup that came up behind me and started flashing his lights for me to get over. What the heck do you want me to do exactly, cha cha? I'm not going to speed up for your convenience, I'd already get pulled over if they ever had speed traps on that road. Decided not to get road rage and moved to the right once I had passed the rig. As anticipated, I ended up immediately behind him going 70 shortly thereafter. Good thing you flashed your lights.

I understand that it's possible this person was some sort of emergency worker or something, although in that case he should have a blue roller on the roof- but most likely just a jagoff.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Can't wait to move there lol.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

PensFanInDC wrote:Can't wait to move there lol.
Did you end up buying that house???
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I thought he was going to rent for ~2 years.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

For some reason I thought I read something about a realtor. Certainly does make more sense to rent, that's for sure.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Yes it does
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Moms that are psycho breastfeeding feminists. Also, breastfeeding beyond the age of two. I don't care what benefits it provides, it's weird. Stop it
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

you could just say any psycho feminist.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

count2infinity wrote:you could just say any psycho feminist.
Yeah, but someone shared an article on Facebook and that got me thinking of it
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Mango Salsa »

*Checks "Odd things you read on your facebook wall" thread*
pens9192
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pens9192 »

I have complained two times to the BBB.

- First was against WalMart. We encountered a bunch of rudeness when we tried to buy fabric. Asked for a manager and waited around ten minutes and no one came. We encountered about three employees and they all acted like we were scum of the earth. We left disgusted. I wrote a complaint on the BBB's website and about two days later the main store manager called me to discuss the incident, apologized, and gave me a $50 gift card.

- Second time was when my wife bought one of those "As Seen on TV" cake pop makers. The company charged us but we never got the product after a few months. Customer service was pretty much non-existent. I did some research and found out the parent company to file a BBB complaint to. A couple days later I received an email to over the incident and they refunded me the amount I was charged as well as giving us the product for free.

If I have a complaint I can't solve using the company's channels, I just go straight to the BBB. I used to work in the retail industry and the company I worked for would go ape**** when a BBB complaint was routed to us. Lots of internal "High importance, urgent" emails being sent around to get the complaint resolved. Company's hate BBB complaints.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Mass company email:

"Please send your congratulations to (name) directly"

Within five minutes, my inbox starts blowing up with idiots replying to all. Why are women always the ones that do this?
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

shafnutz05 wrote:Why are women always the ones that do this?
Because women don't listen.
Spoiler:
:pop:
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

PghSkins wrote:Going north on 79 yesterday from Southpointe towards Bridgeville. Going 75 in a 55 in the passing lane, passing a rig that was probably going 68. Everything good, right? Apparently not according to the dink in the white pickup that came up behind me and started flashing his lights for me to get over. What the heck do you want me to do exactly, cha cha? I'm not going to speed up for your convenience, I'd already get pulled over if they ever had speed traps on that road. Decided not to get road rage and moved to the right once I had passed the rig. As anticipated, I ended up immediately behind him going 70 shortly thereafter. Good thing you flashed your lights.

I understand that it's possible this person was some sort of emergency worker or something, although in that case he should have a blue roller on the roof- but most likely just a jagoff.
I just slow down or tap the brakes.

BTW, it was probably mac behind you.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

garage/yard sale people that park in front of your driveway when you are trying to back out. Automatic lay on the horn and yell the f word as much as I can towards the sale until the car is moved and then a rising middle finger as I drive away. I can't take these people anymore.