GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by eddysnake »

lagunitas day time was excellent.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
slappybrown wrote:As far as I'm concerned, Killian's Red does not even exist.

And no, I will not be dissuaded by the purchase and consumption of a Killian's Red. - Pags
In honor of this statement, kenny the kangaroo searched for (and successfully located) a six pack of killians at giant iggle.

it was 6.99. it tastes like strohs.
lol, 6.99 for a sixer? I never would have thought it was that cheap. For some reason I would have guessed 8.99.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ffemtreed »

eddysnake wrote:lagunitas day time was excellent.
Lagunitas a little sumpin extra is also excellent. So much so I just ordered a 15 gallon keg to replace my recently departed keg of G'knight that keeps my homebrews company in the kegarator.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Had the Sierra Nevada/Victory Altbier today. Not familiar at all with the style. Pours like an amber ale, smells like a maibock, tastes like a lager with a little more umph. It's a pretty decent beer. I would drink the crap out of it in the fall.
dey soff
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by dey soff »

The chatter in this thread prompted me to grab Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin tonight at Kroger. Looking forward to trying it after I put the little guy to bed.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

I had a Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPA draft that was exceptional tonight. Really liked it.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

dey soff wrote:The chatter in this thread prompted me to grab Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin tonight at Kroger. Looking forward to trying it after I put the little guy to bed.
:thumb: :fist:
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Looked to pair a hop layered brew with a Sunday smoked turkey, I was lucky enough to have on hand a 1litter bottle of Total Eclipse of the Hop, from Howe Sound Brewing. This brew from British Columbia, was a last minute buy. Having no idea what to expect as to taste or quality, the cool Grolsch bottle stopper lid was the marketing tool that pulled me in. Enough of the bottle....

Listed as 100% barley malt, and six types of hops, the flavor really cut through the smoked meat flavor and paired nicely with the cranberry sauce served along with the meat. I am headed back tomorrow to grab a couple more bottles to cellar until Thanksgiving and give it another go. Score one for western Canada.

http://www.howesound.com/Brewery/Beers/ ... e_Hop.aspx
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

Q: Are you supposed to tip on a grolwer fill?
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:Q: Are you supposed to tip on a grolwer fill?
I tip a dollar.

Tonight's beer camp reviews:

Firestone Walker Brewing Company, Paso Robles, CA | Torpedo Pilsner
I didn't have much hope when it is selling itself as a super hoppy pilsner and I see an IBU count of 45. It certainly had more hops than your traditional pilsner, but not enough for me to call this thing super hoppy. I didn't mind it. It was your traditional pilsner clean, crisp taste, but I certainly wouldn't buy it again nor would I really buy a case of any pilsner. My wife said the after taste was of grape cough syrup, but I wasn't getting any of that.

Bell’s Brewery, Inc., Kalamazoo, MI | Maillard’s Odyssey Imperial Dark Ale
This tastes like it has a higher alcohol content than the 8.5% it has labeled. Might be better with a little more age on it, but it is fantastic right now as well. Coffee, chocolate, caramel flavors. I was thrown off by the dark ale, this thing is a stout. It's delicious though and my favorite one I've tried so far.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ffemtreed »

Just remember IBU's don't measure hop flavor in a beer. There is a loose correlation between the two but its not the tell tale factor.

IBU measure the bitterness of the beer which is gained by hops added very early in the boil process. The longer the hops boil the more bitterness and LESS flavor they have in the final product. Hops added more towards the end of the boil impart a larger flavor and less bitterness than hops added at the beginning. So in theory you could add a bunch of hops at the very end of the boil and get a super hoppy flavor and only have like 5 IBU's. This wouldn't taste good because you need to balance the bitterness with the hop flavors depending on the grains used to make the wort. No one wants a super sweet hoppy beer. On the other end of the spectrum you can add a whole truck load of hops at the beginning of the boil and not add anymore and you would get a bitter beer with very little hop flavor.

Most beer recipes call for hop additions at the beginning (for bitterness) middle (for flavor and aroma) and end (aroma and flavor) of the boil. I am not going to get into dry hopping here since most people aren't homebrews and don't give a crap.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I understand all of what you said, but I am confused by the notion that bitterness is not "hop flavor." Isn't it?
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

The reason I don't drink IPA is that most of them taste (to me) like "whole truck load of hops at the beginning of the boil."
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

This particular beer must have had all the hops added at the beginning of the boil, because there was no hop aroma or taste.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ffemtreed »

Kraftster wrote:I understand all of what you said, but I am confused by the notion that bitterness is not "hop flavor." Isn't it?
You do get very minimal flavoring from bittering hops, but unless you have a really trained palate you can't really detect the hop flavor from hops added at the beginning. A typical boil is 60 min long, so right at the beginning you add hops to bitter the beer, then with 15 min left in the boil you add more hops which will give some additional bitterness and a lot of flavor to the beer, then with 1 min left you add even more hops to get almost no bitterness added, Some flavor and a lot of Aroma. Its all a balancing act that needs to come together to make a good beer, not to mention the different variety's of hops to further enhance the equation.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Yeah, I understand the basics in regard to hopping. I guess what I'm trying to clarify is whether you consider the bittering effect/the bitter flavor imparted by the hops added at the beginning to be "hop flavor." Your original post suggested that you do not. I guess it would then sort of be an "after effect" as opposed to hop flavor?
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Do you guy's make beer?
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Idoit40fans wrote:Do you guy's make beer?
I do. I'm just over a year into seriously making beer. I have about 10 brews under my belt. Currently I have about 3 gallons total of 2 different beers on tap and 10 gallons of two beers waiting to be tapped (just finishing up the fermentation in a keg). I've made some pretty tasty stuff, I've made some okay stuff, and I've made one beer that I actually had to dump it was that bad.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

c2i, do you not bottle your beer? What is your system?
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Factorial wrote:c2i, do you not bottle your beer? What is your system?
I bottled my first two batches and said "eff this..." as it takes a ton of time and effort and invested in a kegging system. It's one of those hobbies that I know I'm going to stick with, and while it was a good bit of money up front, I think it's very much worth it. Here's an album of what my system looks like:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Essentially it's just a chest freezer that I added a temperature controller to, added a wooden collar for the taps so I didn't have to drill through the freezer, and painted it black with chalkboard paint on the front and lid.

I do bottle some beer still. I bottled half of my imperial stout that I made so that I could let it age for a year or more. I plan on making a small batch of barley wine and bottling all of it and aging it. I have some swing top bottles for pouring from the keg if I want to take it to a friend or something. I don't send anything into competitions or anything like that, so I don't see a need for bottling other than aging.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

Nice job.

Yeah, the one time I made beer the bottling, more so the cleaning of bottles, was a pain.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ffemtreed »

Kraftster wrote:Yeah, I understand the basics in regard to hopping. I guess what I'm trying to clarify is whether you consider the bittering effect/the bitter flavor imparted by the hops added at the beginning to be "hop flavor." Your original post suggested that you do not. I guess it would then sort of be an "after effect" as opposed to hop flavor?

The hop flavor is pretty boiled out of the hops and all that is left is the alpha acid (that is issomerized) in the beer, which gives a bitter flavor, but very small hop character/flavor.
Last edited by ffemtreed on Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

count2infinity wrote:
I bottled my first two batches and said "eff this..." as it takes a ton of time and effort and invested in a kegging system. It's one of those hobbies that I know I'm going to stick with, and while it was a good bit of money up front, I think it's very much worth it. Here's an album of what my system looks like:

Essentially it's just a chest freezer that I added a temperature controller to, added a wooden collar for the taps so I didn't have to drill through the freezer, and painted it black with chalkboard paint on the front and lid.

I do bottle some beer still. I bottled half of my imperial stout that I made so that I could let it age for a year or more. I plan on making a small batch of barley wine and bottling all of it and aging it. I have some swing top bottles for pouring from the keg if I want to take it to a friend or something. I don't send anything into competitions or anything like that, so I don't see a need for bottling other than aging.
Where are you storing the beer you're aging? Underground?
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ffemtreed »

Idoit40fans wrote:
count2infinity wrote:

I only brew another batch once I "kick" a keg. I have a Keezer setup just like in the picture that I can fit about 5 or 6 kegs in. So I have a wine on tap (pushed with nitrogen) a commercial beer and 1 or 2 home brews. So I can keep an extra keg in the keezer untapped plus I can stack bottles around the kegs if I want. Just makes changing them a pain. SO when i kick a keg, I put my on deck brew on tap and brew another on deck.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

ffemtreed wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
count2infinity wrote:

I only brew another batch once I "kick" a keg. I have a Keezer setup just like in the picture that I can fit about 5 or 6 kegs in. So I have a wine on tap (pushed with nitrogen) a commercial beer and 1 or 2 home brews. So I can keep an extra keg in the keezer untapped plus I can stack bottles around the kegs if I want. Just makes changing them a pain. SO when i kick a keg, I put my on deck brew on tap and brew another on deck.
you guys want to move in with me and my family?